Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Camaro ZL1 1LE just ran a 7:16 at the Ring

Old 06-23-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Scot
insane times. Are the new tires possibly A LOT better than tires 10 years ago? 2008 Viper ACR did it in 7:22....
According to "Driven" (on here), it's obviously a driver upgrade, not the car itself. Otherwise, the Civic Type R wouldn't be nearly as fast as it is...
Old 06-26-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 1,108 Likes on 988 Posts

insane times. Are the new tires possibly A LOT better than tires 10 years ago? 2008 Viper ACR did it in 7:22....
Apparently, C_Unit's ass was in the Viper.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:00 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

the 2010 acr did a 7:12. They did a gear change to be able to use 5th gear between the 08 and the 09,10, otherwise the same car. Of course you know that...you have one!
Old 06-26-2017, 11:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
3 seconds faster than the official time of the C6 ZR1 too. What a machine. May need to pick one of these up for track day fun when they discount them about a year from now.
Originally Posted by ealand0001
the 2010 acr did a 7:12. They did a gear change to be able to use 5th gear between the 08 and the 09,10, otherwise the same car. Of course you know that...you have one!
I thought I read somewhere that the 'Ring was resurfaced in certain sections or something so the laptimes now are a bit quicker than the "old" 'Ring times? I searched everywhere on Google and couldn't find any major publications echoing this, maybe I just read this from disgruntled car owners who can't come to terms with their sports cars being slower than newer cars with better technology / chassis etc.

It's crazy to know that the new ZL1 will walk all over my poor old C6Z everywhere except maybe in a freeway roll-on race (It probably won't utterly destroy me like it did around the 'Ring lol, but it'd still own me). The Camaro has two back seats too, amazing. Progress ftw.

I recently rode in a 6th gen Camaro SS and it was quite a cool car. The ZL1 is not surprisingly an absolute animal.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:19 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

What is that right hand paddle, on the steering wheel, used for?

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2017, 05:39 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg
I thought I read somewhere that the 'Ring was resurfaced in certain sections or something so the laptimes now are a bit quicker than the "old" 'Ring times? I searched everywhere on Google and couldn't find any major publications echoing this, maybe I just read this from disgruntled car owners who can't come to terms with their sports cars being slower than newer cars with better technology / chassis etc.
Perhaps you're mistaking the 'Ring with VIR? Only suggesting that since C&D's Lightning Laps are a sort of measuring stick we seem to use. I haven't heard of the 'Ring being resurfaced anywhere, but I believe all of VIR has been resurfaced, as well as a few turns modified to be a little wider as well - resulting in faster times. If that's not what you were thinking of, my apologies.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:44 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
What is that right hand paddle, on the steering wheel, used for?

Thanks!
They have paddle shifters on the wheel even with 6speed. Typical GM. They control the auto rev match functionality in the manual.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

The Camaro 1le is impressive, be it the SS or zl1 in terms of performance bang for your buck. I don't think there's any question about that. But.. it's important to factor in how much tire these cars come with. 285's in the front and 305's in the rear are huge. To what degree are we seeing faster times simply due to more grip? As JonBoy said, the consumables cost for this must be expensive for a track weekend. The c7 z51 comes with a 245 front tire for comparison, so is it any surprise we're seeing faster lap times with more rubber all around? If you have plenty of power and a ton of grip, you can pretty much make anything "fast."

There's certainly a ceiling in my mind that's been hit regarding lap times and capable cars. I could careless how much "faster" cars get in terms of lap times, it's definitely all about a lot of the other hard to measure aspects. No knock on the camaro. It's not my cup of tea, but I have no problem applauding GM. For the money in terms of outright speed/lap times, the SS 1le is the best bargain out there.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
The Camaro 1le is impressive, be it the SS or zl1 in terms of performance bang for your buck. I don't think there's any question about that. But.. it's important to factor in how much tire these cars come with. 285's in the front and 305's in the rear are huge. To what degree are we seeing faster times simply due to more grip? As JonBoy said, the consumables cost for this must be expensive for a track weekend. The c7 z51 comes with a 245 front tire for comparison, so is it any surprise we're seeing faster lap times with more rubber all around? If you have plenty of power and a ton of grip, you can pretty much make anything "fast."

There's certainly a ceiling in my mind that's been hit regarding lap times and capable cars. I could careless how much "faster" cars get in terms of lap times, it's definitely all about a lot of the other hard to measure aspects. No knock on the camaro. It's not my cup of tea, but I have no problem applauding GM. For the money in terms of outright speed/lap times, the SS 1le is the best bargain out there.
I'm with you but this has been going on for a while. Porsches and bmws came with really good rubber from the factory, c4 vettes came with huuuge tires, then everyone started to do the same, now everyone is going huge, he'll the civic type r has 20s now for instance (I know we're talking about widths but still).
It's just all ego stroking, the majority of people who can afford and buy these cars will never get near those lap times, they'd be much better off with a more economical consumables than the very best expression of the car. People think that just because they have a record setting car that they are not by association faster than the next person.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Could JonBoy, or someone else, defend Honda's reasoning for giving the CTR 20 inch wheels? They look ridiculous, and those brakes aren't so big that they couldn't have gone smaller on the wheel size.

Quick Reply: Camaro ZL1 1LE just ran a 7:16 at the Ring