Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Can I buy a Ford with confidence?

Old 02-07-2012, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can I buy a Ford with confidence?

I typically buy and hold a car for years, and have had great success with my Honda Pilot, Honda S2000 and Nissan Sentra - - - to name a few.

My wife on the other hand has leased a car for the past 20 years - Acura Integra, Chevy Blazer, Volvo S60, VW Passat, Honda Accord are a few of the cars she has leased. She is finally ready to commit to a purchase and she is seriously considering Ford Fusion Sport or v6 SEL. Other cars in the running are the Acura TSX, Audi A4 and Honda Accord. The budget is $30k to $35k.

The long-term cost of ownership of the Audi makes me want to steer her away from that model, and any German nameplate. This leaves Ford vs Honda/Acura. Has Ford gotten to the point where I can buy with the confidence I place in Honda, or more specifically the Honda of 5 -7 years ago? I'm not sure if today's Honda is the same carmaker I learned to love for design, dependability and reliability.

So can I buy a Ford? And any other sedans to consider for medium- to long-term ownership (5+ years).

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2010 Fusion SE with sunroof and sync package...loved that car. Unfortunately it was a company vehicle and I had to give it back eventually. Great gas mileage, reliable, comfortable. I had zero complaints with it other than lacking power.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ford vs. Honda...

MY family has had lots of Hondas...about 14 between my parents and my sister and me.

Main issues have been a/c going out in almost all of them. Other than that they were pretty good. My odyssey entertainment system went out at 70000 miles and the s2000 had an under warranty rebuild of the tranny and was flawless thereafter.

In 2002 my sister and I both got eddie bauer explorers because my Dad was then an engineer at Ford and we were able to get x-plan pricing plus 0% financing. We drove the hell out of that truck and the only issues really that I experienced were a couple of electrical gremlins in the door locks. The ac gave out at 75000 miles so I decided to sell it. It still ran strong. Drive train and tranny were rock strong. It also has wierd issues with the stock stereo after about 60000 miles.

My sister's truck had a lot more electrical gremlins. The power seats went nuts and the door locks were crazy. It also had no drive train or tranny issues.

All in all I'd be fine with a ford over the long haul. It won't be a Honda, but it wasn't a total expensive disaster either.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

I have driven a number of them and while they were decent rentals I wouldn't buy one simply because its a very bland car but then that could be just what she wants. Given the choice of those 3 I would go Acura all day long. Better service experiance, alittle nicer, etc.

I will say the 2013 fusion looks pretty good though.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Absolutely. The current Fusion has proven to be mechanically reliable and relatively fuel efficient. However, an all-new one debuts this year and is bigger and better looking. I'd wait, if I was intent on buying a Fusion.

However, is there a reason to change from Honda/Acura? I'd take a TSX over a Fusion any day of the week (smoother motor, better interior, good resale, proven mechanicals, generally sportier in feel). I like the Fusion a lot but not nearly as much as a TSX.

For pure reliability and economy, a new Camry would be a great choice. I wouldn't buy a current Accord any more than a current Fusion since both have new models being released this year (drops resale value and you're missing out on new technology). The upcoming Accord has a much better standard options list (including 18" wheels or bigger on all models, Bluetooth, etc, etc) with all new powertrains (6-spd DCT transmission for V6 and a pretty highly regarded CVT for the 4-cyl), best-in-class fuel economy (per Honda) and improved styling.

The A4 with 2.0T is great to drive, especially with DSG, with great outside styling and a good interior. They've been fairly reliable, by and large, and an extended warranty can always be purchased. I'd be more inclined to buy a used CPO vehicle with the standard 100K/7yr warranty and save some money while improving the warranty at the same time. You can usually get better finance rates on those as well (some manufacturers offer special rates for CPO vehicles as opposed to a basic used vehicle).
Old 02-07-2012, 03:44 PM

I too have a fusion, as a company car, and I must say it is bland, but very reliable.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:02 PM

I had a ford explorer for over 10 years and now have a sport trac and a new mustang, I like them.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:40 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Just checking, but have you seen the 2013 Fusion. It is a remarkable car.

I've spent time in a number of newer models over the past few years and I think Fords are buy-worthy, but I wouldn't buy the current Fusion with a much nicer one on its way for the same money.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:51 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Ugh, I'm due for a new company car and I'm getting the Fusion, which wasnt a bad thing until I saw the picture of the 2013. Oh well.
Good cars, I'm a believer, but I'd go Accord over it.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:22 PM

I sat in the new focus at the Seattle Auto Show and was blown away. I would definitely drive one. The interior is head-and-shoulders above the civic, mazda3 or anything else in its class.

Quick Reply: Can I buy a Ford with confidence?