Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Can Japan penetrate the exotic market?

Old 02-09-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Can Japan penetrate the exotic market?

For decades the world supercar market has been dominated by the Italians, the Germans, US-backed English companies and assorted micro-manufacturers. When Honda introduced the NSX, it was Japans first real foray into the world exotic car market. Aimed at the Porsche 911, the early NSX met or exceeded 911 performance figures at the time. But the NSX did not enjoy significant market penetration over the years, and Honda did little to keep up with the competition. After a few years, Porsche and Ferrari developed the 911 and the 3xx and 4xx cars to performance levels well beyond the NSX's. In the end, Corvettes were tuned to higher levels of performance and were far less expensive than the NSX. The NSX grew longer in the tooth until US dealers didn't even keep them on the showroom floor and only ordered them to meet specific customer orders. Finally the NSX was pulled from the line-up with no real successor ready to take its place.

Meanwhile, other Japanese manufacturers either stayed away from the exotic arena, or produced limited numbers of domestic vehicles that were not widely exported. It seemed Japan would be content to compete in every other market niche.

Yet now it appears the Japan is ready to enter the world wide supercar/exotic market with full force. The Honda ASCC will enter in the 100 to 150K price range. The Lexus GT-F may come in as high as 175K. Nissan's GTR will come in around 70K. In these price ranges, the Japanese manufacturers will be competing against Z06 Vettes, Porsches from the Caymans up to the 911 Turbos and GT2s, every Aston Martin, 4xx Ferraris, most AMG Mercedes, all the M series BMWs, etc.

Will the Japanese labels be able to penetrate the world wide super/exotic car market? Would you spend Cayman, M%, 911 Turbo or Ferrari F430 money on a Nissan, Acura or a Lexus? Discuss.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd buy a Kia supercar if the build quality, looks, performance were up to the levels of the italian/german/american cars you mention at a lower price point.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think a 911 is an exotic car at all.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:58 PM

Bill ... not much of a discussion .. I don't think it would happen any time soon ... JMHO.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Defender,Feb 9 2007, 09:58 PM
Bill ... not much of a discussion .. I don't think it would happen any time soon ... JMHO.
I see it as an exciting moment in the automotive world. There have never been so many exotic/super cars on the market as there are today. The three new Japanese models will join a very crowded field. I think many share your view. It will be difficult for the Japanese cars to penetrate this market.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ,Feb 9 2007, 09:58 PM
Really? Not at all? Not the Turbo or the GT2? Well, I don't intend to turn this into a car catagory debate. If it makes you feel better, call them "premium sports cars." The point is the same. People with between 70 and 175K to spend will probably look at all of these cars.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:08 PM

Personally I dont think the JDM will be able to penetrate the exotic market sucessfully and over a long period of time. Those foreign machines have a certain "aura" about them. Or in other words, history. Its kind of a stay in your own sandbox type of thing. you make efficient affordable cars, and we'll make crazy expensive fast and possibly reliabe super cars. Also those with lots and lots of cash would rather be seen in a Euro supercar than a Japanese. It is almost as if Japanese Sports Cars are more juvenile than they're euro competition.

Case in point.

90,000 NSX
110,000 911 Turbo

Your brand new NSX might be close in performance but they're is soo much more history behind that Porshce name and brand that would make many with that dinero go for it.

So if it is possible, then it would take many many many many years to build some supercar/sports car history. My .02
Old 02-09-2007, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by dombey,Feb 9 2007, 09:55 PM
I'd buy a Kia supercar if the build quality, looks, performance were up to the levels of the italian/german/american cars you mention at a lower price point.
Why do you say "lower price point?" The Japanese cars are not being offered at a lower price point in my opinion.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:13 PM

For decades the world supercar market has been dominated by the Italians, the Germans, US-backed English companies and assorted micro-manufacturers. When Honda introduced the NSX, it was Japans first real foray into the world exotic car market. Aimed at the Porsche 911, the early NSX met or exceeded 911 performance figures at the time. But the NSX did not enjoy significant market penetration over the years, and Honda did little to keep up with the competition. After a few years, Porsche and Ferrari developed the 911 and the 3xx and 4xx cars to performance levels well beyond the NSX's. In the end, Corvettes were tuned to higher levels of performance and were far less expensive than the NSX. The NSX grew longer in the tooth until US dealers didn't even keep them on the showroom floor and only ordered them to meet specific customer orders. Finally the NSX was pulled from the line-up with no real successor ready to take its place.
A good summary of what happend to NSX, except I believe the NSX's main performance aim was Ferrari 328GTB.

Yet now it appears the Japan is ready to enter the world wide supercar/exotic market with full force.
I'll believe it when I see one in the showroom.

In these price ranges, the Japanese manufacturers will be competing against Z06 Vettes, Porsches from the Caymans up to the 911 Turbos and GT2s, every Aston Martin, 4xx Ferraris, most AMG Mercedes, all the M series BMWs, etc.
Or the Japanese manufactures will find out that the "exotic" markets just aren't ready to shell out "P-car"/"Ferrari" kind of money for a Japanese "exotic" and forced to lower their price.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:21 PM

While some P-cars can match the performance of a Ferrari (for instance), they just don't have the "intangibles" that a Ferrari has. I never considered a Porsche (except CGT) an exotic personally and it is not because P-car is lacking in performance.

Quick Reply: Can Japan penetrate the exotic market?