Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Can the new IS-F take on the S2000?

Old 06-01-2008, 01:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can the new IS-F take on the S2000?

What do you think of ... umm... a Lexus?!

Is it a fair comparison? Yes, both cars are representative of the latest performance driving technology for street use from two top japanese car manufacturers. Both companies created these vehicles for the performance sector. I heard Toyota has been throwing quite a bit of resources behind this, which is what intrigued me very much. What could they have done to their cushy cruiseship line up? Looks like they are serious this time. How does it compare with the S?

After 8 hot autocross laps, 6 laps at California Speedway interior course and 5 hot laps (with 2 pro drivers, one of whom, Greg Thek), in the IS-F, I'd say ... This may just be the come-back of Toyota, after they dropped their legendary Supra from its line-up. This also offer a great alternative to the European made performance cars of the likes of the Audi RS, BMW M, etc. All of these packed 400+ HP, lugging around close to 4,000 lbs. They are no where close to Nissan GTR but it's an exotic class of its own and a more appropriate comparison with the LFA and upcoming next gen NSX.

Now off to more details.

First off, the AC of the IS-F has auto climate control, and the driver seat has 10-way electronic adjustments.... oh... I meant the V8 has dual intake that grunts beyond a certain RPM just like our VTEC. Power delivery is definitely much smoother and even from low to high RPM.

It's a VERY easy car to drive, allowing me to hit my best time (+/- 0.5 sec) on a 22-23 sec autocross course in 3 runs using the 8 speed close gear transmission with F1-type paddle shifter. They claim that this system shifts in twice the time of a Forumla 1 system @ 5 100th of a sec. I still prefer the S transmission though because it's more fun, but that often translate to slower time having to work through the gears in a tight course.

One of the best feature of the IS-F, also a foreign concept to me having been driving the S for 7 yrs ... is... traction control. I didn't realize how conservative I was when pushing the F around the autox and road course until the 2nd and 3rd lap. Even with 400+ hp on the tap, I can floor this beast without having to worry about it stepping out over or under. With the S, this is pipe-dream, it's all about feathering the throttle, brakes, etc. If you ask me which system I prefer, I prefer the S still because that's a better way to learn how to drive better. Nevertheless, it felt very good to be gunning around with 400+ hp with the pedal to the floor!!

Another classic on the Lexus is the 14" drilled rotor w/ 6 piston brembo calipers. The stopping force is amazing. At ~110 mph, jam on the brakes and the seatbelt immediately locked up with slightly more dive than the S and brought the 4000 lb hunk of metal almost immediately to the appropriate entry speed for a series of corners. This thing, coming stock, consistently delivers precise stopping power over and over again. As you all know, the stock brakes of the S2k are nowhere close to that. Mine faded on the 2-3rd lap on Thunderhill. Luckily a simple brake pad, line and fluid upgrade can bring the stock brake up to par with these much more expensive brembos.

Handling. The IS-F is surprisingly nimble despite its weight. It didn't feel like a sedan at all, but it couldn't touch the kart-like reflex of the S. I'd describe the ISF handling as sturdy vs. the S's nervous (mine is the AP1). The S gives more room for those who'd like more flexibility in rotating the car trailing brakes and throttle steering. The ISF is more stable around the course. Both cars are fun to drive, in different ways.

The V8 sounds pretty darn good but subdued - a trait of all lexus, which is a pity. I still very much prefer the scream of the F20C @ 9k RPM (sorry AP2 owners What I'd love to have ... is a high-rev V8 from Honda

Lastly, what I found to be extremely interesting is how much different the ISF is from the IS350 given that these two look almost exactly the same. The IS350 is still a boat IMO. If this were a blind test, there was no way I could tell that they were from the same family tree.

All in all, I don't mind owning the ISF as my daily driver, but I wouldn't give up my S for it. I would give up my S for the GTR though.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:12 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two completely different cars, and should not even remotely be compared.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say the IS-F is definitely faster imo. Afterall, the S2000 has been out for 9 years already. Almost a decade ....
Old 06-01-2008, 08:18 AM

Wow,

==> V8
==> Automatic transmission
==> 54% front weight bias
==> 1,000 lbs heavier than an S
==> 4 Doors
==> Fixed roof
==> Power everything

I don't think it compares at all. It looks like a completely different experience more akin to a BMW M5 which I'm sure is what Toyota was shooting for. I doubt they were looking to get roadster owners into a sedan.

The IS-F is certainly nice looking and I'm sure it would be a joy to cruise long distances in, but there is no way you would feel as connected to the road and the world around you in a porky luxo sedan.

Fast, yes! Comfy, yes! Isolated, yes! More enjoyable.....to each his/her own. Not for me.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

s2000 is old... why compare it to a newer car?
Old 06-01-2008, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ks320,Jun 1 2008, 03:20 AM
I would say the IS-F is definitely faster imo. Afterall, the S2000 has been out for 9 years already. Almost a decade ....
Age has nothing to do with it. The S2000 was such an investment of technology in a low volume sports car that it's been able to survive for almost a decade with few changes. That almost never happens. I don't think anyone but Honda could have / would have tried this at the price point. The overall S2000 design is still very competitive because of the engineering Honda put into the car from day one.

Think about it. State of the art chassis, engine, transmission, suspension all developed solely for a low volume roadster. Who would do that? Why did Honda do it? They likely needed to run production for a decade to come anywhere near breakeven n the project.

The IS-F is a larger and much heavier sedan. Physics hasn't changed in the last decade. An extra thousand pounds is still harder to get moving, stop, and turn. And the suspension on the IS-F is actually less sophisticated than the S while the tires are not much different from the S in size.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post

This thread reminds me of the Honda Fit vs. C6 thread.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:48 AM

LOL, the title of this thread is hilarious. The IS-F is a superior car, why are you even trying to compare. The S2000 is outdated.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:59 AM

latest performance driving technology!? short of an elise, the s2000 is a pretty raw sports car.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bumblebeeS2K,Jun 1 2008, 08:59 AM
latest performance driving technology!? short of an elise, the s2000 is a pretty raw sports car.
Which is why the IS-F is so impressive. It can outperform the S2000 while providing the driver with every luxory known. I got beat by one at the first autocross of the year.

That said, I still prefer my S2000.

Quick Reply: Can the new IS-F take on the S2000?