Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

CandD Boxster S Review

Old 08-07-2012, 06:46 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Default CandD Boxster S Review

With so much performance, do you really need an S version any more?

2013 Porsche Boxster S

Every bit as good as you might have hoped it would be.

AUGUST 2012 BY DON SHERMAN PHOTOGRAPHY BY MARC URBANO

"Leaving well enough alone” doesn’t translate into German, especially the dialect spoken by Porsche engineers. Witness the new, judiciously polished Boxster, a machine that advances the modern sports car.

As before, the new Boxster is essentially a 911 with its engine set in the middle, which is where Dr. and Ferry Porsche intended it to be in the first place. In spite of a 2.3-inch-longer wheelbase and modest track-width bumps, the Boxster S is 77 pounds lighter than before, thanks to increased use of aluminum and magnesium. Length is up 0.1 inch, and width is unchanged; torsional stiffness is 40 percent greater. Spreading the footprints and moving the windshield’s base forward stretches legroom by an inch. The price starts at a reasonable $61,850, then rockets into outer space when you succumb to the options list.

The most notable chassis change is a switch from hydraulic to electric assistance for the rack-and-pinion steering. With the goal of improved ride and handling, the carry-over four-corner strut suspension benefits from an expert massage. Larger front brakes are shared with the 911; 19-inch wheels are now standard (20s are optional). The engineers coaxed an extra five horsepower out of the direct-injected 3.4-liter flat-six, raising peak output to 315 horses at 6700 rpm while boosting the redline from 7400 to 7600 rpm and improving gas mileage by 1–2 mpg.

Compared with the dual-clutch-automatic-equipped Boxster S that thumped arch rivals in a comparo three years ago [July 2009], the new stick-shift 2013 model we tested is superior in every performance category except acceleration. The dual-clutch transmission’s launch control and uninterrupted power delivery during upshifts are tough to beat; the new S comes close with a 4.4-second leap to 60 versus the previous automatic’s 4.3. The old and new Porsches cross the quarter-mile mark in a 12.9-second dead heat, beyond which the new S’s taillamps wink goodbye on the way to a 176-mph top speed. The 20-inch Pirelli P Zeroes and other chassis upgrades boost skidpad stick from 0.94 to 0.99 g and clip a significant eight feet from the 70-to-0-mph stopping distance.

Despite all this improved performance, the Boxster S’s disposition remains cheerful. The driver-to-controls interface is absolute perfection, the shifter stirs gears like a Food Network chef, and heel-and-toe pedal work is child’s play. The optional Adaptive Sport seats (part of a $5265 Premium package) offer 18-way adjustability and outstanding comfort and support.

With the tight-fitting, well-insulated top up, the engine is subdued until you summon its inner beast at 5500 rpm. The engine’s mating calls are best appreciated with the top down. Touch a button with the car moving at no more than 30 mph, and the lid folds in 10 seconds. With no structural shake and minimal wind ruckus at 100 mph, this convertible eliminates most excuses for buying a coupe.

Adaptive dampers costing an extra $1790 are a must, providing a supple ride and supreme control for on-ramp and track sessions. Flick the wheel, and the Boxster S replays all the lessons it learned at the Nordschleife. Push hard in corners, and you’ll find understeer; lift abruptly off the throttle, and the front scrub becomes an easy-to-control four-wheel pirouette. The steering is quick to respond and perfectly weighted. Even with most of the road-surface bump and grind filtered out by the new electric power assist, the Boxster S’s steering wheel still provides a satisfying handshake. Likewise, the brake pedal is firm and easy to modulate when you slow for a bend below the ABS threshold.

With 40 buttons adorning the console and center stack, plus six steering-wheel switches, the Boxster S has a daunting array of functions. They include gearshift assist, which flashes an orange beacon when engine rpm crowds the redline, allowing you to keep eyes on the road rather than the tach, and a four-way g-meter in the 10-function display that rates your every driving action; peak readings are logged in the system’s memory to validate bragging sessions.

What makes the new Boxster S one of Porsche’s greatest achievements is its all-encompassing, ever-present entertainment value. Consider this the sports-car enthusiast’s gold standard, rapidly approaching  platinum.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like an amazing car.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:15 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Really thinking that a used Boxster S will be my next car - just too many good things without being "overkill" in other areas. Daily drivable, fast enough to beat just about anything you see, lightweight, great handling, good-looking and typically well-built. Can't wait to drive one.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:16 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I cannot stand this never-ending large wheel trend. The Boxster does not NEED 20" wheels and they make it look cartoonish. It's overkill and does nothing but add weight
Old 08-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
I cannot stand this never-ending large wheel trend. The Boxster does not NEED 20" wheels and they make it look cartoonish. It's overkill and does nothing but add weight
At least it's easy to change them out. And you could probably even come out on top if you sell the stock wheels/tires.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
True, but a set of 17s or 18s looks bad as well (at least, the ones Porsche used to put on them were pretty bad). 19s are perfect, in my opinion, for the Boxster and Cayman, and I'm glad they're standard.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Current-gen Cayman base model comes on 17s, S on 18s, R on 19s. The new base Boxster is on 18s, S on 19s with 20s optional. On car that's supposed to be small and lightweight, bigger/heavier (and more expensive!) wheels are absurd.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed across the board on 20's. Even more ridiculous when you consider the cost of tire replacement.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan
Current-gen Cayman base model comes on 17s, S on 18s, R on 19s. The new base Boxster is on 18s, S on 19s with 20s optional. On car that's supposed to be small and lightweight, bigger/heavier (and more expensive!) wheels are absurd.
It is small and lightweight. Sure, it doesn't weight as little as YOU want (NOTHING does) but compared to the competition, it's quite light as it sits. For a car like this, at that price point, I want it to look as good as it handles and the 19s definitely help in that department. 20s are too much, in my opinion, though they look good on the 991.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I hate 19 and 20" wheels. Now it's going to cost me $1,400 to buy a set of tires for one of my cars and $1,800 for the other. One of the cars being a Cayman S on 19" wheels.

Quick Reply: CandD Boxster S Review