Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Canyon carving comparison: Fiata 124 Spider Abarth vs AP2 Honda S2000

Old 04-01-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I agree, though a tuned ND with bolt-ons is (as someone else mentioned) practically as quick as an S2000, more agile and (with a new set of coilovers) as good through the corners to boot. If you can find a used one, it's a good PERFORMANCE buy but the car is still losing value as it's pretty new (ie, at the steepest part of the depreciation curve).
Old 04-02-2017, 07:20 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Yeah, except an Elise/Exige is useless, has a high insurance cost, isn't readily available and costs way more money than any of them...if you can find one.
Useless as a DD sure. But I drive my exige just like my s2000. Weekend fair weather car.

Insurance cost is cheaper than my s2000 for guaranteed value insurance of $70k...

yes somewhat hard to find if your picky, but any clean exige is amazing to drive.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I would agree that buying a used car that is fully depreciated is a more financially sound idea vs buying a new car that's going to rapidly depreciate the moment you drive it off the lot. With that said, there are certainly some valid reasons that a person might buy a new(er) sports car over an older one:

-Factory warranty. Clearly this isn't an important factor to most of us in this thread, but it is valid for some, especially if the car is their daily driver. (My S2000 is also a fair weather weekend playtoy)
-You get to break it in yourself. You know the car's history and don't have to worry about previous abuse or lack of maintenance.
-More modern features and creature comforts.
-Minimal maintenance for years to come.
-You might prefer the styling of the more modern car. I love my AP2 S2000, but I would be lying if I said I thought it was better looking than the ND Miata.

With that said, you don't have to buy an Elise/Exige in order to not lose money to depreciation. In the past ~5 years or so, I haven't really seen S2000's dropping in value (especially clean, low mileage DBW 06-09 examples). The S2k seemed to stop depreciating shortly after it was canceled.... The NA and NB also stopped depreciating years ago. With how cheap the early 3rd gen NC1 Miata's are getting, I would say they're just about fully depreciated as well. All great options IMO, based on your budget.

In the realm of 2 seat roadsters, I really loved the last 987 Boxster S I drove! Honestly, it was one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever pitched around in the canyons! Great cars to drive, but maintenance/repair concerns keep the M96/97 powered cars (986 & 987.1) on a steep depreciation curve. IMS bearing concerns combined with jaw-dropping engine replacement (and even just normal maintenance) costs mean they'll likely never enjoy the lack of depreciation that the S2000 and Elise/Exige are currently seeing. If a potential motor replacement wasn't a $15k-$22k concern, there's a chance I might have one in my garage...

People can say what they want about the Miata, but there's something enjoyable about them that Mazda certainly got right with the newest ND generation. There are some things about Miata's in general that make them more appealing that their more expensive rivals:

-They're cheaper than their rivals. Not just cheap to buy, but very cheap to own. Maintenance is simple and cheap. Consumables are cheap. They've made a million of them, so replacement parts are plentiful and cheap.
-They're RWD cars that are forgiving at the limit and relatively easy to drive. People frequently learn performance driving in a Miata for a reason. They're more forgiving cars vs the S2000/Elise, as the rear end steps out very progressively and is generally pretty easy to reign back in.
-People are less likely to think of a Miata as a garage queen, or collectors car. They're driver's cars that people actually drive, rather than stuff away in a garage for 20 years. There's something to be said about not worrying about the car's value, and just using it as often as you can, to put a smile on your face.
-Huge aftermarkets. Factory backed racing.
-They have their own Spec Racing class. One of the cheapest ways to get into a real wheel-to-wheel racing series.
-You can really push them on the street without risk of losing your license! When you cane a Miata, it feels like you're going much faster than you actually are! You're having fun, going under the speed limit.... Someone once coined the phrase "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow"; I'm pretty sure the man that invented that phrase was driving a Miata.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-lotus-exige-3/#comment-1471274

06 chrome Orange Exige on BaT.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sold for 40k. Solid buy.