Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Car Clubs?

Old 06-12-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car Clubs?

I've been watching "Laffing Devils" all morning on the Discovery channel. Although this club is dedicated to motorcycles, can it be much different with car clubs?
Years ago, I was into a series of Corvette's. The last Vette I bought came with an invitation to join a local club dedicated to this marque. I attended one meeting and joined. The next meeting, I was asked to show up at the local Chevy dealer at 9am on a Saturday and be prepered to show off my engine bay. All members were firmly advised to have their cars washed and waxed. For me, this was the end of my attempt at car clubbing. I never showed up and I never went back. I could never allow anyone or club to schedule my weekend or for that matter ,my time.
Watching the "Devils" is a very good lesson on the effects differing opinions and the ongoing bickering, complaining, back stabbing and general discord that these guys somehow seem to enjoy and a few even claim that they are willing to give up their lives for.
I have nothing against car clubs and if they could operate very loosly and don't put any demand any commitment, possibly they could be acceptible to me. Give me a schedule of meetings and events and I will decide weather I will show up or not.
What you guys think?
Old 06-12-2012, 11:08 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Most the car clubs I'm a member of here in N. Texas are oriented around motorsports events, mostly autocross and DE's. They're all laid back and pretty cool, no one cares if your car is dirty or not etc. Also many of the car clubs for a particular make welcome all cars and enthusiasts. The BMWCCA and S2000 club autocrosses usually have more Miatas in attendance than either BMWs or S2000!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car club=GANGSTA. . . lol, just kidding.

There is a bit of a difference between an MC and a car club. The Laffing Devils....that's not much of a club in my opinion, maybe a bunch of clowns wishing to be hardcore, but whatever. A legit MC, while yeah, you do things for the club, you don't go showing up at a dealership with your scoot waxed up and pretty, ready to make them some money. And, actually, I've only seen that in the car community with Corvettes.

Mike
Old 06-12-2012, 04:31 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Clubs that revolve around showing usually tend to have that sorta criteria from their members, its all about the group not the individual. In any rate, biker gangs tend to reolve around that violence element moreso than cars, heck i live only a few miles from a hells angel clubhouse. But im with the op, the point o the club is to organie like minded folks to create opportunities of recreation, when it starts to become demanding and pretentious its no longer for me.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never really got the draw. I mean, I was a member of a car website/forum in my hometown which wasn't that big of a place so everyone basically knew each other anyway, and we had get-togethers but it was extremely laid back. Cars were more of an afterthought a majority of the time.

Nowadays I just go to the Saturday morning Cars & Coffee once or twice a month which I am fortunate enough to live less than ten minutes from, and it's on the north side of Indianapolis where there's lots of money thus lots of badass cars to look at each weekend.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in a car club in high school. It was pretty much just meet up and drive to parties or shows together. We'd hang out doing normal day to day things too. Overall it was kind of lame to be honest. I don't talk to or even remember the names of most of them today.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:09 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

It depends on the club - some club members are mainly interested in non-car stuff like golf or drinking, and only come together because they own a common car/make. Other groups just enjoy driving and get together to exclusively do that. In the middle you have all kinds of clubs that are a combination of social and driving.

The Dragon events are a great example of the S2000 club at a national level - its a half week or so of social events and driving events and it is very inclusive - young and old, stock and custom, party and staid types. Local S2k clubs can mirror that - I've been part of S2k clubs that drive or goof, and others that only gather wor eating and such.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
It depends on the club - some club members are mainly interested in non-car stuff like golf or drinking, and only come together because they own a common car/make. Other groups just enjoy driving and get together to exclusively do that. In the middle you have all kinds of clubs that are a combination of social and driving.

The Dragon events are a great example of the S2000 club at a national level - its a half week or so of social events and driving events and it is very inclusive - young and old, stock and custom, party and staid types. Local S2k clubs can mirror that - I've been part of S2k clubs that drive or goof, and others that only gather wor eating and such.
Amazing points! That is what makes S2Ki incredible!