Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Car Talk Please Return to Sanity

Old 07-02-2018, 02:12 PM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Car Talk Please Return to Sanity

I've always appreciated that this little subforum has been a great place to talk cars. There's been disagreement which is fine--10 car guys will have at least 11 opinions. The difference between Car Talk and the rest of the internet is that disagreements have rarely been personal or angry. Lately things seem to be escalated into name calling, politics and just assholery. I can't say I've never done it myself. Let's be civil. Let's not troll or feed the trolls. Ok, I'll step off my soapbox.
The following users liked this post:
Kenny_Stang (07-04-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 08:12 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

S2Ki is a business, that sells ad space.
More users and user activity, the more ad space S2Ki can potentially sell.

The Miata thread you're referencing has had 135 replies and ~4400 views
The 2020 Z4 thread has had 31 replies, ~1700 views.

The Miata and Z4 started within a week or so of each other.

The Z4 thread was pretty civil and factual, and pretty uneventful.
The Miata thread was not civil, but pretty eventful.

It would seem the Miata thread is potentially more profitable for S2Ki than the Z4 thread.

Does it mean Car Talk should be 4chan? No. It hasn't even spiraled into a dark abyss... it was one thread.
But, I, for one, enjoy reading the occasional asshat thread... as it would seem so do the other hundreds of people who have viewed it over the Z4 thread.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:16 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Oh that was nothing compared ti what used to go on.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:09 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

My only goal is to post better content than the curated content.
The following 4 users liked this post by Saki GT:
cbehney (07-03-2018), JonBoy (07-03-2018), Kenny_Stang (07-04-2018), TrumpetTitan (07-09-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 04:56 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

I haven't seen the mods ban anyone in a while. This forum was better when there was more nonsense!
Old 07-03-2018, 06:31 AM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
My only goal is to post better content than the curated content.
LMFAO. Setting the bar quite high!

Old 07-03-2018, 07:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I think there's always been a mixture of civility and rough. On occasion there are threads that devolve into personal attacks, but it usually gets reeled in. And overall it's good. In the old days it could get way way worse than it has been recently. The big change I've noticed is there's less humor than there used to be. And less bizarre weirdness. I miss some of that.

What we really need is a major new car introduction or two.
ChiHonda (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 11:16 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Am I the only one who comes here to laugh at the antics? I find it hilarious when people get bent out of shape over nothing. The miata thread is a perfect example. NSX thread was great too. If anything in Car Talk truly upsets you, it is time to step back and take a deep breath. I come here for entertainment and to distract myself from anything important that actually matters. That said, there is a wealth of information on here and a broad user background, so it can be a valuable resource. I actually wish some of the controversial members who used to post here would return. I found their assholery and political commentary rather amusing.
cbehney (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
Am I the only one who comes here to laugh at the antics? I find it hilarious when people get bent out of shape over nothing. The miata thread is a perfect example. NSX thread was great too. If anything in Car Talk truly upsets you, it is time to step back and take a deep breath. I come here for entertainment and to distract myself from anything important that actually matters. That said, there is a wealth of information on here and a broad user background, so it can be a valuable resource. I actually wish some of the controversial members who used to post here would return. I found their assholery and political commentary rather amusing.
you'll love twitter. i like political talk and get plenty of it there.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:44 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Eh. I suppose I have got into it with a few people over the years. I don't want to chase anyone out. I really like more opinions and the more the merrier. I give a shot once in a while, but I can take one too. Sometimes somebody gets one and they get way to bent out of shape. Sometimes someone just keeps doing the same irritating thing over and over until I finally take a shot hoping they will knock it off.

But yeah, I do remember some of the big agitators from back in the day. I miss a couple of em. Sometimes they were funny messing with a couple people, and sometimes they just would take a huge mean shot at someone who was not capable upstairs of defending themselves. But I think the quick draw on the ban hammer chased a few too many out the door.

Half the people who hang out here have not had S2000's in forever.

I am more upset that Off Topic is a ghost town. That used to be a full-of-win free for all. My favorite thread of all time "Post UR Favorite Watch" by Vlad, or "the Cousin that I Hug the Most" were priceless gems but I think both have been totally deleted.

Last edited by vader1; 07-05-2018 at 06:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Car Talk Please Return to Sanity