Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Car window exploding from heat

Old 07-30-2014, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car window exploding from heat

So was wondering if a car window, drivers side or passenger side could explode during "hot" temps. Long story short, I have a 1994 civic I drive to work. Drove windows down. Parked car for 2 hours, go onto a 15min break and come to see the driver's side window broken in some way. Called police, they said the window exploded due to it being rolled up and it was hot outside. I live in Seattle, WA. It's no desert or anything but yeah, it was hotter than usual outside (82-85 degress). Nothing stolen at all, ignition and everything is in tact.

So conclusion to why the window broke?

1. Hot weather/window rolled up
2. Vandalism

Just curious so I can take more precautions where I park at work. I do have an alaram/other security measures/etc. Thanks
Old 07-30-2014, 04:38 PM

Been an engineer for 15 years. That is impossible and the cop is a moron
Old 07-30-2014, 04:43 PM

That is what I'm assuming. Probably some jack ass randomly breaking my car out of 100 out in the parking lot. Didn't steal anything. Co workers car are all rolled down with valuables. Everyone came out to check and nothing stolen. How weird? Made me think it was the weather...
Old 07-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Sunroof in our MDX exploded for no apparent reason.....just driving along. True story.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by freq
Sunroof in our MDX exploded for no apparent reason.....just driving along. True story.
I've thought about this one, perhaps a small crack already on the sunroof or some imperfection and hit a little bump. Or something stress related? Freak accident really. But thing is, my car was parked, not moving.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:20 PM

are you kidding? If a window would explode at 85 then we who live in the 100+ areas would be screwed.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:34 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by AP1GroceryGetter
Originally Posted by freq' timestamp='1406768413' post='23266801
I've thought about this one, perhaps a small crack already on the sunroof or some imperfection and hit a little bump. Or something stress related? Freak accident really. But thing is, my car was parked, not moving.
Not as uncommon as you might think. Do a google search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sunr...x-a&channel=sb

We've owned the MDX since new, it's never been abused, in fact, it's been very well maintained. There were no marks anywhere else on the roof of the truck AND I took off the roof rack rails on day one so nothing has ever even been on the roof.

I say the sunroof glass exploded. Not a hit, not a bump and not chassis flex.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude you live in one of the most wettest/coldest states in the country. Relax your window didn't break from heat.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:56 PM

Not saying I know what caused the OP's window to break, but car windows breaking on hot days is not a new phenomenon. I don't think it is an internal pressure issue blowing out a window, but perhaps a temperature differential? Given the lack of evidence of vandalism or theft, "heat" is as valid as "vandalism," if we are looking for unprovable explanations.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I've come out to 140* interiors, no exploding glass. Rapid transitions from hot to cold can cause glass to break without outside physical force, but the heat alone that it will experience outside will not do it.

Quick Reply: Car window exploding from heat