Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Carbon Fiber wheels

Old 11-07-2012, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber wheels

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...heel.html#more

I pick up the CR9 on display with one hand. It's absurdly light. So light, in fact, that people have trouble wrapping their heads around how these wheels can possibly be durable. Considering that it surpasses the requirements of every known OEM and aftermarket wheel test protocol, the CR9 appears to be exceedingly durable.

hat's right -- they turned up the load to 130% of that specified in the fatigue tests (radial, torsional, cornering), impact tests (radial and lateral) and a rim horn damage test. The wheel didn't notice. When they tried to run the biaxial fatigue test at 130% load, the tire failed.

On-vehicle tests were performed at Opel's Dudenhofen proving grounds in Germany, where the wheels were mounted to a 911 Turbo to subject them to limit handling trials and rough road durability testing. Then there were the thermal tests, wheel bolt retention tests, environmental tests (UV, salt, fuel, chemical, abrasion, stone chip, etc.)...
i'm gonna have to ditch my rpf1's...

and my s2k, and just floss these wheels on my prius
Old 11-07-2012, 02:43 AM

Given the weight and where that weight is located, on a race car or a sportbike they seem good, but for a street car it seems like overkill or just a waste. But at least carbon fiber is easy to fix in case you hit a pothole or something.

But I'm sure people will lust after them since they are carbon and expensive, and people just love anything carbon or expensive.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by fishfryer
Given the weight and where that weight is located, on a race car or a sportbike they seem good, but for a street car it seems like overkill or just a waste. But at least carbon fiber is easy to fix in case you hit a pothole or something.

But I'm sure people will lust after them since they are carbon and expensive, and people just love anything carbon or expensive.
I'm carbon and expensive and no one is lusting after me.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:08 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I was worried about the aesthetic aspect (how well the clear finish holds up) but they're going to be painted, so that's not really an issue any more than any other type of wheel.

I'd love to see these as an OEM standard fitment/option. With volume, costs will come down to "almost reasonable". If I was buying a new 911, $7K for a set of ultra-light wheels would be very affordable in the big picture.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:37 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I'd worry that carbon fiber can't dent, only sheer and crack. What is the outcome on an impact that would leave a metal wheel is still "usable" on a carbon fiber wheel?

I would invision carbon fiber wrapped wheels between a honeycomb material of sorts.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slithr
Originally Posted by fishfryer' timestamp='1352288611' post='22135010

I see what you did there.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I'd worry that carbon fiber can't dent, only sheer and crack. What is the outcome on an impact that would leave a metal wheel is still "usable" on a carbon fiber wheel?

I would invision carbon fiber wrapped wheels between a honeycomb material of sorts.
Sounds like they are pretty tough. There is some risk, but you've got to pay to play. I'm wondering if they are so light that you would need to change the shock valving to optimize your set-up.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Slithr
Originally Posted by fishfryer' timestamp='1352288611' post='22135010

Old 11-08-2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol

It has to do with where they're being used in the wheel. Notice the center is aluminum. That's where all the shear forces are (what carbon fiber isn't as good against). In tension, carbon fiber is stronger than steel. Any failure will likely require total replacement, but they're less likely to occur.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 PM

Popular mod on sport bikes for many years now. Haven't heard of any problems outside of they are usually toast if you crash.