Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Carmageddon

Old 12-03-2008, 10:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Dec 3 2008, 02:01 PM
Bailing out the auto industry is a necessary evil, accept it. This time may be better, lutz saying he'll take a paycut to a dollar a year, no more corporate jets, UAW doing an emergency meeting today (I guess they now realize that they're in teh crosshairs, they're no longer the innocent workers union campaigning for rights, a lot of tax payers are pissed), etc.
Ya ya, I know.

I'm still pissed about it.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonjm,Dec 3 2008, 10:42 AM
It doesn't matter if GM has a list of 10000000 things that they did.

They're not profitable. They lose market share. There is really nothing else but that.

Is this what you'd invest in if you were buying stocks?
I know quite a few people (including myself) who have doubled their money in GM stocks in just the past two weeks, so yes!

I think you should go to congress cause you seem to have all the answers. I'm voting for you.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Dec 3 2008, 11:01 AM
This time may be better, lutz saying he'll take a paycut to a dollar a year, no more corporate jets, UAW doing an emergency meeting today...
oh yeah, that right there is the key to success.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they want to sell cars and make money, send everyone $20K and I promise I'll go out and buy a car with it, maybe even two. I wish everytime I failed at something someone would give me billions.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by timrocks311,Dec 3 2008, 01:00 PM
oh yeah, that right there is the key to success.
It's a part. Cutting out tens of millions of dollars in executive costs is still tens of millions of dollars towards the bottom line.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:47 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Dec 3 2008, 01:01 PM
Bailing out the auto industry is a necessary evil, accept it.
Yeah, because, you know, all those 29 year old full-time students majoring in journalism with a scholarship because their parents are GM retirees - we can't have them actually get a job, eh?

(I'm not commenting on the merit of a big-three bailout, I'm just rather amazed at this one particular story. Seriously, are stories from The Onion now being posted on CNN? "If General Motors declares bankruptcy, Amanda Emery might have to work to support her family." Oh, the horror!)

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/02/students....stry/index.html

That would leave 29-year-old [Amanda] Emery, a journalism and photography double major, with the responsibility of helping support her family, assisting her mother to make payments for not only her own house but Amanda's grandfather's home in Kentucky and providing some form of health care for Amanda's aging parents. Her father would be able to pick up work somewhere, but her mother would not.

"Somebody would have to pick up the slack, and I'd have to figure something out," she said. "I would have to drop down from [studying] full-time to part-time because I'd have to work more -- for sure."
Old 12-03-2008, 01:41 PM

I'm still not understanding this.

Let's say the American Big 3 gets a hand out, and in a short time span create cars that people want. (not likely, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt)

Wanting and actually buying are 2 different things. Just because the gov't can potentially prop up a whole industry doesn't mean squat if supply outweights demand -- and I just don't see people rushing out and buying new cars, no matter how cheap. The biggest truth-ism is that fixing a car costs less than buying new.

The US should have NEVER depended on cars as a staple of the economy, I knew it was going to die when I was still a kid....I just can't believe I'm alive to see it all fall apart.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saki, I hear that even today GM's cost, per car, is several thousand dollars higher than the equivalent Japanese car due to loaded labor cost. They haven't come far enough fast enough. Sure I recognize the UAW shares the blame but if the primary beast dies then the leeches die too.

Maybe a condition of our bail-out should be a total flush-down-toilet of current management above a certain level. The problem is deciding who should run the place.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:01 PM

It can be argued (very successfully) that the growth of the car industry in America, created the middle class.
Almost overnight you had people employed by Mr Ford who could afford their own homes and an automobile, plus many of the staples which previously only the wealth could.
It isn't so much the US becoming dependent on the automobile industry ,as the automobile being very responsible for the America we have today.
Not to mention their factories being turned over to war production and making it possible for the US to become the super power it hopefully remains.

Here's a thought.

Shjuld the US lose the big 3 and a major conflict breaks out, (think a hell of a lot bigger than Irag) who or where would we turn to for our arms, tanks, planes, ammunition, etc etc?
Hopefully we wouldn't be up against China or Japan or India or Russia or Germany, as they would probably be who we would need to be buying our arms from.

Just wondering if losing all three would be detrimental to national security.
Any thoughts?
Old 12-03-2008, 02:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednine,Dec 3 2008, 03:52 PM
I know quite a few people (including myself) who have doubled their money in GM stocks in just the past two weeks, so yes!

I think you should go to congress cause you seem to have all the answers. I'm voting for you.
Thats nice, I've made more than 3x my money in SKF. But that aside GM is pure speculation at the moment. Fundamentals?

Your making money on TRADING GM. You don't know if they'll still be around OR if they'll be turning a profit in the next 3 years.

So no, I wouldn't be banking on _you_ either.

Quick Reply: Carmageddon