Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Cayman S

Old 08-05-2010, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayman S

So I went to porsche yesterday as a car enthusiast and possible potential customer and it appears that my experience was not on par with most reviews of the car on this site.

It was certainly beautiful and was equipped w/ optional 19's but w/o sports chrono. I elected to drive the manual instead of the pdk feeling like I'm a purist but after the drive was left wondering if the experience would have been better with a pdk equipped vehicle. Also the vehicle was a pre-owned 08 model. Now on to the drive.

We fire up the car, not a beautiful sound but distinctively porsche and athletic in its own way. I walk around the car as it warms up eyeing the 19's and the details underneath the rear bumper like a high school boy trying to catch a sneak peak up his favorite cheerleader's skirt. As I admire the efforts Porsche has taken to minimize aerodynamic turbulence under the car I am called to the drivers seat as the car has attained standard operating temperature.

I inspect the feel of the clutch... spongy... hmmm I have felt better feddback from other vehicles. I engage first and proceed to leave the lot. Pulling onto the main road the car has more tq than the S2 obviously but not as much as I was expecting, not a deal breaker, after all I drive an NA S2. As I row through the gears getting acquainted to the clutches engagement and the feel of the shifter I notice the dead pedal next to the clutch grossly encroaches on how I step on the clutch. My foot was constantly rubbing the side of the dead pedal and became increasingly annoying, amazingly so in traffic. Not a deal breaker, I can just drive w/o shoes(standard practice in the S2). Combine this with the pedal feeling spongy and pdk sounds increasingly better by the minute during the drive.

Finally we turn off the main road to a nice long series of twists I can take at 3/4 throttle w/ the encouragement of the salesman. Rolling onto the throttle I am reminded of my dissatisfaction w/ the feeling of tq for the money I would be spending. Anyway all those concerns were gone the moment I turned the wheel w/ the intent of some decent road holding. Magnificent. I was dissapointed up until this point but the road holding capability of this MR platform was phenomenal. Loads of grip and stability which gave me the confidence to take the next series of corners faster than I should considering how the salesman was quiet but white knuckled holding on. Transitions were dealt with comfortably as the car began to stretch its legs. All this while remaining civilized and being able to carry the mrs out on the town comfortably. Yet I was not sold.

I didn't get an opportunity to really test braking feel so I cannot fully give my opinion on them. Having said that, I was left unimpressed even though I loved the cars handling. Imo that was the cars ONLY good/great attribute. Where was this amazing interior that commands a premium over a vette. Is it an option b/c it sure wasn't on the car I drove. The styling... ehhhh its ok I can live with it. Most important of all for me, the cayman did not give me any sense of excitement over the S2. Maybe it was b/c everything was so civilized. Regardless I wasnt left smiling walking away from the car. I walked away just thinking "thats a nice handling car".

Given my experience I would have to say that the car is grossly overrated on this website, imo of course. Its definitely a good car but nothing near what it is made out to be here. Yes the car was faster than my S2 and most certainly I felt it handled better and had more grip but it left me wanting more from the experience. I can drive the S2 and feel good driving slowly. I cannot say the same for the cayman.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

isolation and noise reduction can really inhibit the 'rawness' of the drive which is what I bet you're experiencing. Same deal with the C6 as it's a pretty civilized and quiet ride when you're driving less than 75%, so it can take some of the "fun" out of the drive.

I bet if you were able to take a CS out for a track session, you may start to buy into all the hype surrounding the car.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Aug 5 2010, 01:20 PM
I bet if you were able to take a CS out for a track session, you may start to buy into all the hype surrounding the car.
I was awaiting this response and while I certainly agree. I do not buy cars for tracking. If I wanna track something I want it to be an actual track vehicle. I buy my cars for road use. And while some of my exploits may be illegal at times, the majority of the time I am driving w/in the guidelines of police scrutiny.

Nothing about the car enticed me except for twisties. The clutch was absolutely annoying. I felt as if I was gonna rub through the side of my shoe faster than a fella flush westcoaster through cambered tires.

I will no longer talk about a vette interior after sitting in the Cayman. Since the vette appears to be compared to porsches the most.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a owner of a 06 Boxster S.

EXPECTATIONS ARE ALWAYS A CRITICAL FACTOR IN THE WAY WE JUDGE THINGS. SUCH AS MOVIES.

ANOTHER THING IS NO CAR REALLY DRIVES LIKE THE WAY YOU DAY DREAM ABOUT IT.

BUT ONE THING FOR SURE IS, YOU NEED TO DRIVE THE P CAR FOR MORE THAN A TEST DRIVE TO REALIZE IT BECOMES A PART OF YOUR BODY.

NO CAR IN THIS PRICE RANGE DRIVES AS NATURALLY, EFFORTLESSLY AND PRECISELY AS THESE CARS.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:36 AM

^GJEEZ DFEND UR DECISN MUHC.

Sparrow - Nice review. Maybe the clutch was worn out/defective? What about trying out a new one?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:40 AM

Drove an '08 Boxster S a few months ago. Basically walked away feeling the same. Nice car - comfortable, quick, etc. Somewhat boring/disconnected.

I need a Z06.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 AM

[QUOTE=jhp012,Aug 5 2010, 01:32 PM] I am a owner of a 06 Boxster S.

EXPECTATIONS ARE ALWAYS A CRITICAL FACTOR IN THE WAY WE JUDGE THINGS.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by exb00st,Aug 5 2010, 01:36 PM
^GJEEZ DFEND UR DECISN MUHC.

Sparrow - Nice review. Maybe the clutch was worn out/defective? What about trying out a new one?
it felt the same in a boxster I once drove as well... used but still... feeling like it could be just how cayman/boxster clutches feel
Old 08-05-2010, 09:49 AM

LOUD NOISES!!

i should got out and drive one...needing a new car and all.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

going from s2000 you will have hard time finding anything as exciting or "connected."
maybe exige or atom?
maybe you should try the rumored "cayman clubsport" when it finally comes out?

Quick Reply: Cayman S