Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Civic Si or S2000? (Si Review Inside!)

Old 09-28-2008, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Si or S2000? (Si Review Inside!)

Hey all:

Maybe a lot of people have heard this one before.

I'm transferring to James Madison University as a Junior next semester and moving out of home. I currently own an 07 Civic Si, but am debating whether or not to sell and buy a used S2000, which is essentially my dream car. As a former marine, college expenses are paid for. Let me just say that this is a huge issue for me; I've actually lost sleep over it. The S2000, honestly, is my dream car.

I'm sure many people on this site use their S2K's as DD's, but what do you think? I simply want to own a sports car before, you know, REAL LIFE, as in marriage/family/children. Do you consider my switching to an S2K a 'wise' choice; My semi-new Civic obviously has warranties, low mileage (10K), and long term practicality associated with it. Note that this will be my only car, but I'll be in college and don't expect to have kids anytime soon. Insurance costs are almost identical if I switch.

Have you ever been forced to buy a larger vehicle because of the 'impracticality' of the S2000? I don't have a lot of stuff, but I essentially bought my Civic thinking that I would drive it until the wheels fall off. Now I'm considering doing this with an S2000 (and really enjoy doing it) rather than my Civic, but do you think it's smart to switch with my car being so new?

Thanks for all replies; Like I said, this is a huge issue for me, but I'm really leaning towards the S2K right now.

Just for the record, a review of my Civic Si (2DR) for anyone interested in what they are like:

I've owned it for just over a year. 10K miles. Gear grinds are actually becoming an issue; I've checked other online forums, and apparently I'm one of many having this problem. It handles very well in my opinion, however an S would most like do better. It stays really neutral in curves. There is a ton of space for this car; You wouldn't expect it just by looking at it. The biggest problem is torque. You have to be around 4-5K to gain any ground, and obviously VTEC at 6k is a lot of fun. The interior is almost cheap, I expected it to hold up better when I bought it, but some plastic on the dash is beginning to warp as well as my having gone through 3 replaced sun visors. The seats HOLD dirt. You have to wash them to get it out. The car is quick, not fast in my opinion. It's fun and all, but if you are buying it thinking you are going to easily keep up with traffic, go elsewhere. I have to rev to at least 4K to just keep up with traffic. The badges and everything are sort of hype; Yes it has performance modifications, but actual performance wise, this car is JUST fun. You can easily take it to the max and be ready for more. All aside, it is a great car for a daily driver who is looking for a LITTLE bit of performance added to an economy vehicle. I would advise not to buy into the hype of all the badges.

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 09-28-2008, 12:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get it. You're in school. What do you really need practicality for? It has a trunk, so you're covered for the typical minimums. If you absolutely need a pickup to help moving, make a phone call or rent one for $25/day.

I have heard of issues with people getting jealousy-based vandalism on campuses, so be aware of that. It's not that expensive a car, but obviously some people aren't aware of that.

For speed, IMO, the S is getting into the fast category, but it's the slowest of fast cars, if that makes any sense. If you get turbo/supercharged, you'll be quite fast, but otherwise, you're slower than most new sports cars but faster than most all others. And you do have to keep the revs up, but it's probably a bit better than your civic that way.

Overall, the car is a lot of fun to drive and a pleasure to own. S2000s seem to be pretty bulletproof as they get older, which would be a big benefit to you as a student by lowering maintenance costs. On the other hand, it eats through tires, so that will hit you up regularly, and insurance isn't always cheap either. I get 22mpg overall, but it's 26-30 freeway, and I can average 24-25mpg just by trying to do better.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:43 PM

You do realize the engines of both cars are very similar in their characteristics don't you? You have to rev up the S2000 to get it moving too. I own both cars and I think the Si is a better only car for obvious reasons. It's more practical while still being a lot of fun. The S2000 is more fun and RWD can be a lot more fun and rewarding to drive. Convertible is great when the weather is right. You can also really feel the extra power it has over the Si, but there are tons of faster cars out there.

Where will you park it? If you have to park an S2000 outside, is it a safe enough area you don't have to constantly worry about the top being slashed and seats stolen? You would hate to always be worrying about it.

S2000 is a great car and now may the time to grab one, but you might want to drive one first since some of your complaints with the Si are similar in the S2000.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Banned

I have both. In my opinion....keep the Si until you graduate...then get the S2000 after as a nice present to yourself.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:45 PM

Also forgot to mention that the third gear syncro issues has a TSB out for it so you should be able to get that fixed on your Si. My friend has an '07 Si and we just put some GM Syncromesh transmission fluid in his and he says his transmission works perfect now and we did that about six months ago. I would check in on getting that fixed whether you decide to keep it or not.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=wickerbill,Sep 28 2008, 03:45 PM] Also forgot to mention that the third gear syncro issues has a TSB out for it so you should be able to get that fixed on your Si.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the information Ace. I understand that the S2000 is a similar 'high revving' car as well. My debate really isn't about practicality, as it is about the new car thing; I feel like I'm just throwing my warranty away. I'm not too entirely worried about parking it.....From your experiences with this site and probably from previous/current Hondas, do you honestly think that the S will have a greater reliability than a Civic? I'm the kind of person that attempts to accelerate fast regardless of the vehicle, so my civic is being revved-up very high on a daily basis in order for me to get up to speed. I figured that there would be less wear-and-tear on an S2K because of the lesser need for me putting my foot into it.

About the Civic, I HAVE read that the tranny fluid change works, but only temporarily. Supposedly it's said to be a 'band-aid on a large wound' or something like that (you get the analogy!).
Old 09-28-2008, 01:19 PM

I don't think the S2000 will be any more reliable than your Si. I haven't had any problems with my S2000 in the 6+ years I've had it, but your civic should be good as well. I wouldn't worry too much about "throwing your warranty away". The fact that is has the warranty adds to the value of your Si so you'll be partially compensated for that. What year of S2000 are you looking at?

You won't have to work the S2000 quite as much to get it to accelerate as fast as the Si can, but it sounds like you probably won't be driving it any easier. You'll just accelerate faster.

My friend has been good for six months on the tranny fluid. For $30 and less than an hour of your time, why not try it? If it doesn't fix it then take advantage of the upgraded gear pack that honda released for the Si and have the TSB work performed?
Old 09-28-2008, 03:28 PM

[QUOTE=biXs2k,Sep 28 2008, 05:06 PM] I'm the kind of person that attempts to accelerate fast regardless of the vehicle, so my civic is being revved-up very high on a daily basis in order for me to get up to speed.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:47 PM

definitely keep the si. u r still in school. the civic is more practical and a lil better on gas
reward urself when u grad w/ the S. not to keep u away from ur dream but do what's sensible for now

Quick Reply: Civic Si or S2000? (Si Review Inside!)