Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Classic Car

Old 10-16-2014, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are kind of cool. Leave a little bit to be desired compared to the modern car of course. They depreciate much less which is nice I guess. I can see the movement really dying out in the next 20 years. I don't see anyone daily driving a classic car or interest in Gen X/Millenials for them.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:18 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleO7Spyder
They are kind of cool. Leave a little bit to be desired compared to the modern car of course. They depreciate much less which is nice I guess. I can see the movement really dying out in the next 20 years. I don't see anyone daily driving a classic car or interest in Gen X/Millenials for them.
Doubt that. IMO they won't be skyrocketing in value like they have been, but they will stabilize and hold their value well.

The main issue if you buy one that is rust free with no current issues is that parts are very hard to find for certain classics.

Handling? Yes most won't handle that well. BUT some of them are tons of fun! Very visceral cars. It's on my shopping list to one day own a jag e type and a classic muscle car
Old 10-16-2014, 10:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I was just thinking it would be fun to grab a 240z or something for a while. The wife agrees!
Old 10-16-2014, 11:28 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
just don't crash in a classic car. search for the GM footage of a '59 belair and an '09 impala something or other.

darcy
+1

Saw that video, it's an eye opener
Old 10-16-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
The main issue if you buy one that is rust free with no current issues is that parts are very hard to find for certain classics.
Windshields and glass can be an issue. Had to wait 7 months for my Alfa windshield and they had to ship it from Russia. Insurance would not pay for a used windshield down the street from my house, but paying 1000+ for one is OK... Go figure.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last cruise night I did had lots of cars for sale and older people. Yeah, there's the stray young guy with his 65 mustang but this is a matter of trends and demographics. Cars will get passed down to kids and then eventually sold for much less.

Sure, you own a Boss 429 Mustang or Action Comics #1 they are going to be worth money. The average classic car and comic book just are not worth that much.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by DoubleO7Spyder

The last cruise night I did had lots of cars for sale and older people. Yeah, there's the stray young guy with his 65 mustang but this is a matter of trends and demographics. Cars will get passed down to kids and then eventually sold for much less.

Sure, you own a Boss 429 Mustang or Action Comics #1 they are going to be worth money. The average classic car and comic book just are not worth that much.
You have to redefine classic cars though. The cars that will be a hit with later generations are the cars of their youth not cars from the 1950s that they have rarely seen in person.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:34 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife and I are both very much into cars that were made long before we were born. She likes cars from the 30's and I like cars from the 40's to early 50's. We also like the "restomod" type with modern chassis, engine, and as many modern extras like PW, Steering, AC, etc. as we can add. We don't know what will happen to the market for these cars in the future, but we don't expect the value to drop any faster than most new cars, and probably not nearly as fast.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:41 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Desired "classic cars" for Gen Y/millennials when we hit middle-age will probably look something like this list (remember, it's basically the cars that were very solid performers but possibly just out of our reach--or very expensive for a kid--when we were teenagers/young adults) --

MKIV Supra
FD RX-7
NSX
3000GT
300ZX
Maybe 280Z
Eclipse GSX/Talon TSi
4th gen Camaro/Firebird (especially the LS1 cars)
C5 Corvette
Mustang GT ('94+)
Integra GSR/Type-R/Civic Si

Just my $0.02 anyways.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Syn
Desired "classic cars" for Gen Y/millennials when we hit middle-age will probably look something like this list (remember, it's basically the cars that were very solid performers but possibly just out of our reach--or very expensive for a kid--when we were teenagers/young adults) --

MKIV Supra
FD RX-7
NSX
3000GT
300ZX
Maybe 280Z
Eclipse GSX/Talon TSi
4th gen Camaro/Firebird (especially the LS1 cars)
C5 Corvette
Mustang GT ('94+)
Integra GSR/Type-R/Civic Si

Just my $0.02 anyways.
U forgot one:

S2000

Quick Reply: Classic Car