S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Collectible Japanese cars (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/collectible-japanese-cars-181266/)

6sigma 02-06-2004 11:49 AM

Collectible Japanese cars

I have wondered why it seems there are so few Japanese cars considered collectible. I am an avid reader of Sports Car Market and try to pay attention to the collector car industry as a hobby. In SCM, Japanese cars are only lightly represented, whether in the US or Europe. I have considered lots of possible reasons for this, such as production numbers, production history, surviveability, rarity, technology, performance, racing history, etc. But it still seems to be a small amount of truly collectible Japanese cars. Maybe this will change in a few years when the next generation wants to own the cars of their youth, which are Asian imports. I often hear people describe Japanese cars as lacking in soul or character, perhaps in tribute to their usually excellent technical design.

What does show up in SCM is the 200/240/280Z series, occasional NSX, and a few other oddities. I don't recall any of the Honda S cars in recent auctions. Why do you think more Japanese cars aren't considered collectible? Do you think the S2000 series will earn the same respect from buyers as a Boxster or Z3/Z4 in 20 years?

PortugueseS2K 02-06-2004 11:54 AM

This could be because for one, Japanese sports cars really didnt hit the market until late 60's or early 70's i belive. By that time, there were already lots of Euro and american muscle/sports-cars on the road and in collector garages gathering dust and gaining market value:)

ninethreeeleven 02-06-2004 12:08 PM

i think most people would state the Supra is a collectable..... if i had the money I would find 2, both with low milage, mod one and make it a weekend car, and the other I would put a cover on it and store it, in 10 years those things will start going back up in value if they are low milage... just my assumption of course but those things are amazing.

rai 02-06-2004 12:21 PM

Originally posted by PortugueseS2K
This could be because for one, Japanese sports cars really didnt hit the market until late 60's or early 70's i belive. By that time, there were already lots of Euro and american muscle/sports-cars on the road and in collector garages gathering dust and gaining market value:)
I think this is one fact. by the early 70s there were millions of Mustangs, chevelles, camaros, corvettes, GTOs, etc...

For the most part (90%) I'd say japanese cars have been FWD people movers. I think you have to look at the nissan/datsun Z's and other sporty RWD cars from Japan to find collectible cars.

I think, given time, the NSX, 300ZX, RX-7s, Supras, S2000s, MR-2s, Miatas, etc.. may become collectible.

6sigma 02-06-2004 12:28 PM

Yes, I agree the Supra has potential. I had a 93 TT, automatic, no wing, bone stock. I might wish I kept it. It's predecessor, the Toyota 2000GT is collectible today, but you rarely see one at auction (maybe because they are so few).

f20cpwr 02-06-2004 01:11 PM

The biggest thing is rarity. Japanese cars have always been mass produced. The collectable muscle cars are the ones where maybe only a couple thousand were ever built. In some cases, only a handful in that particular trim, like a Camaro ZL1 or Vette L89.

94rexsf 02-06-2004 02:00 PM

toyota GT2000 is a tiny bit collectible. thats the car nissan ripped off when they built the Z.

Penforhire 02-06-2004 02:06 PM

Odd. I don't follow SCM but I can think of more collectible Japanese cars. The Datsun 510 and the earlier roadster, Mazda RX3/323 GTX (sp? the AWD one)/1st Gen RX7, Toyota AE.

We don't always get the 'good' version of some newer models in America. That'd be one reason.

TwiBlueG35 02-06-2004 05:05 PM

What is the definition of "collectible cars"? If you like the car, you collect it and never sell until you die, as simple as that. You can collect all seven generations of Honda Accord if you like them so much, and keep collecting the future ones. Don't tell me you try to use a car to maintain value or even earn money from it, that is stupid.

alexf20c 02-06-2004 05:15 PM

Toyota 2000GT
Datsun 240Z
Kia Rio
Honda S800