Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Collectible Japanese cars

Old 02-06-2004, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collectible Japanese cars

I have wondered why it seems there are so few Japanese cars considered collectible. I am an avid reader of Sports Car Market and try to pay attention to the collector car industry as a hobby. In SCM, Japanese cars are only lightly represented, whether in the US or Europe. I have considered lots of possible reasons for this, such as production numbers, production history, surviveability, rarity, technology, performance, racing history, etc. But it still seems to be a small amount of truly collectible Japanese cars. Maybe this will change in a few years when the next generation wants to own the cars of their youth, which are Asian imports. I often hear people describe Japanese cars as lacking in soul or character, perhaps in tribute to their usually excellent technical design.

What does show up in SCM is the 200/240/280Z series, occasional NSX, and a few other oddities. I don't recall any of the Honda S cars in recent auctions. Why do you think more Japanese cars aren't considered collectible? Do you think the S2000 series will earn the same respect from buyers as a Boxster or Z3/Z4 in 20 years?
Old 02-06-2004, 11:54 AM

This could be because for one, Japanese sports cars really didnt hit the market until late 60's or early 70's i belive. By that time, there were already lots of Euro and american muscle/sports-cars on the road and in collector garages gathering dust and gaining market value
Old 02-06-2004, 12:08 PM

i think most people would state the Supra is a collectable..... if i had the money I would find 2, both with low milage, mod one and make it a weekend car, and the other I would put a cover on it and store it, in 10 years those things will start going back up in value if they are low milage... just my assumption of course but those things are amazing.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:21 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by PortugueseS2K
This could be because for one, Japanese sports cars really didnt hit the market until late 60's or early 70's i belive. By that time, there were already lots of Euro and american muscle/sports-cars on the road and in collector garages gathering dust and gaining market value
I think this is one fact. by the early 70s there were millions of Mustangs, chevelles, camaros, corvettes, GTOs, etc...

For the most part (90%) I'd say japanese cars have been FWD people movers. I think you have to look at the nissan/datsun Z's and other sporty RWD cars from Japan to find collectible cars.

I think, given time, the NSX, 300ZX, RX-7s, Supras, S2000s, MR-2s, Miatas, etc.. may become collectible.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:28 PM

Yes, I agree the Supra has potential. I had a 93 TT, automatic, no wing, bone stock. I might wish I kept it. It's predecessor, the Toyota 2000GT is collectible today, but you rarely see one at auction (maybe because they are so few).
Old 02-06-2004, 01:11 PM

The biggest thing is rarity. Japanese cars have always been mass produced. The collectable muscle cars are the ones where maybe only a couple thousand were ever built. In some cases, only a handful in that particular trim, like a Camaro ZL1 or Vette L89.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:00 PM

toyota GT2000 is a tiny bit collectible. thats the car nissan ripped off when they built the Z.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odd. I don't follow SCM but I can think of more collectible Japanese cars. The Datsun 510 and the earlier roadster, Mazda RX3/323 GTX (sp? the AWD one)/1st Gen RX7, Toyota AE.

We don't always get the 'good' version of some newer models in America. That'd be one reason.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:05 PM

What is the definition of "collectible cars"? If you like the car, you collect it and never sell until you die, as simple as that. You can collect all seven generations of Honda Accord if you like them so much, and keep collecting the future ones. Don't tell me you try to use a car to maintain value or even earn money from it, that is stupid.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:15 PM

Toyota 2000GT
Datsun 240Z
Kia Rio
Honda S800

Quick Reply: Collectible Japanese cars