Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

compact cars

Old 11-11-2012, 05:39 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Best to drive all the ones under consideration. Personally, I just love the Fiat 500. If you like to drive like a demon, this is the car. It really takes all you can throw at it and you won't be getting a ticket on every straight away. It may not be "fast", but it sure does feel fast and the engine makes a great whailing sound. Has the major options one would want and has big time style.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The new ford fiesta is quite nice, and there is turbo ST version on the way too.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

My vote would either me 500 turbo or cooper s. as much as I agree that the fit's cargo space + gas mileage + reliability is great the interior is just not something I could deal with IMHO.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've heard that the Fits gearing is pretty crap though, goes decently up to 60 and then goes straight into overdrive gears and has nothing after that.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:39 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I am sure there are those on these forums that are tired of hearing this, but I love my 2012 Civic Si Sedan.

Great transmission/shifter, decent handling, and in general a fun car. Not fast, but definitely an enjoyable car for daily use. It does have a ton of body roll, but for the most part you can feel the car remaining stuck to the road through fast turns. The steering wheel is very comparable to the OEM S2000 wheel in size, and I really like that for more spirited driving in my daily car.

The seats are a good blend of comfortable and stiff. It has plenty of room as long as you aren't carrying above average sized people, and the trunk space is adequate. So far my combined MPG is just a shade south of 27, and it gets 31 all highway. Sound system is decent, but not as good as the Bose setup my wife has in her TSX. I really like having the USB port and using Pandora and my iTunes directly through the car's stereo system.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:59 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

A friend of mine recently got a new Fiat 500 for a VERY reasonable price (cheaper than a new base model fit). I didn't realize you could get one in the low to mid teens.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently picked up a Fit for a daily, and I love it.

I'm regularly amazed at the amount of stuff you can cram into it, while still being surprised at how small a car it is. When I see other cars out there on the road like the Cooper S and the Fiat, I think they're cool and stylish and fun to drive, but there's no way in hell they'd fit a 60" dresser in the back (yup!) or my bike without needing to take a wheel off (yup!).

Sure it's not the fastest thing out there, but the HP is perfectly adequate for what it is.

I'm a little disappointed by the gas mileage, as I was hoping to get up into the low 40's, but it hasn't happened for me. City driving nets me a mere ~30 MPG. I really wish Honda had given us a Fit hybrid option here in the states, it seems like a no-brainer.

Either way, I love it.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for FIT

Evan
Old 11-16-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8
I recently picked up a Fit for a daily, and I love it.

I'm regularly amazed at the amount of stuff you can cram into it, while still being surprised at how small a car it is. When I see other cars out there on the road like the Cooper S and the Fiat, I think they're cool and stylish and fun to drive, but there's no way in hell they'd fit a 60" dresser in the back (yup!) or my bike without needing to take a wheel off (yup!).

Sure it's not the fastest thing out there, but the HP is perfectly adequate for what it is.

I'm a little disappointed by the gas mileage, as I was hoping to get up into the low 40's, but it hasn't happened for me. City driving nets me a mere ~30 MPG. I really wish Honda had given us a Fit hybrid option here in the states, it seems like a no-brainer.

Either way, I love it.
Doesn't it have a high curb weight? Could be why the gas milage is low for its size.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
I am sure there are those on these forums that are tired of hearing this, but I love my 2012 Civic Si Sedan.

Great transmission/shifter, decent handling, and in general a fun car. Not fast, but definitely an enjoyable car for daily use. It does have a ton of body roll, but for the most part you can feel the car remaining stuck to the road through fast turns. The steering wheel is very comparable to the OEM S2000 wheel in size, and I really like that for more spirited driving in my daily car.

The seats are a good blend of comfortable and stiff. It has plenty of room as long as you aren't carrying above average sized people, and the trunk space is adequate. So far my combined MPG is just a shade south of 27, and it gets 31 all highway. Sound system is decent, but not as good as the Bose setup my wife has in her TSX. I really like having the USB port and using Pandora and my iTunes directly through the car's stereo system.
You know, I really like the idea of this car, but the mileage isnt good enough for me - plus it takes premium. My current DD is a 2000 Celica GTS that's getting 31.8MPG in mixed driving (on premium). It's fairly efficient, though I'd definitely want to spend less on gas for my next DD.

Quick Reply: compact cars