Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Comparative Advantage of NSX?

Old 06-20-2002, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparative Advantage of NSX?

Hey, I was just wondering what would be the comparative advantage of the Acura NSX since it costs 90k?

From the specs the NSX only has 290 HP, and 8000 Redline. I don't think that is really "spectacular" for a 90k car. Are there anything that I am missing? I believe that for a bit more than 90k one could get a low end Ferrari or Mercedes SL500. You'll get a luxury name also. I don't think that Acura has a Luxury name.

But the NSX exterior does look really really nice.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-20-2002, 07:23 PM

I remember i was reading an issue of EVO. There was an article about a car collector. He has some ferraris, aston martains, porches. He also owns 2 nsx. He was ask why 2 nsx? his responds mid engine, alot more practicial then a ferrari, and you can put high mileage with them.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yellow2001
[B] He was ask why 2 nsx?
Old 06-20-2002, 08:04 PM

low end ferrari's? of course you mean older used ones.

current entry level is the 360 @ $150k

you can get 308's for around $30k, mid engine 3.0 liter v8 with visual appeal and good handling characteristics, but general performance our s2k's are better.

328's for around $60k, engine up to 3.2 liter, better interior and handling package, s2k is close in most performance numbers. i loved my '89 328 to death, it's death when i hit the wall at summit point track back in 2000. i was a lot more comfortable at higher speeds in it, my s2k feels like the front end is starting to float above 135, but i can attack lower speed corners more aggressively in the s2k. i have had the s2k at summit point, where i am limited to the "slow" group with 100 mph limits without a roll cage, and overall lap times are close to what i was getting in the 328.

348's are $60-$80k, 3.4 liter and will take us in most areas, although i think the interior is a little off compared to other models. i think late model NSX is probabably better in overall performance than any of these. older nsx's and the 348 are probably close.

ferrari's are high in maintenance cost's, resale value is in lockstep with proof of maintenance, i.e. if you cannot show 15k minor and 30k major schedules completed, knock off lots of cash on selling price, and avoid buying one that cannot show it because if the owner does not spend money to keep it up, no telling how badly they beat on it. mileage also seems to depreciate value a lot more than with other cars, as well as any mods to the car.

i took a 2002 NSX out for a test drive earlier this year, the 290 hp number is deceptive. power comes on strong early on with almost no change felt going into its VTEC range, handling was great, good driver position and visibility. stories are it is finally being revamped in the next year or two and price is expected to be lower with bigger engine/more power, but we all know how rumors are.

never driven a mercedes so cannot give any impressions on that.

btw, ferrari is not a luxury name....

think F40, no panels on the inside of the door and no door handles, you reach into the door frame and pull on a cable. but it does have twin turbos and goes really fast!

keith
Old 06-20-2002, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at an Acura dealership yesterday looking at a brand new NSX on the showroom floor. Although I informed the salesman that I was only admiring the car, he was nice enough to let me sit in it and view the engine. After a few minutes of chatting about the car, the salesman told me that a potential buyer was in the dealership just a few days before. The buyer asked the salesman what the difference was between the NSX and a C5. He asked a question along the lines of "Why would I spend another $40-50k on a car with similar performance as the Vette?" The salesman simply responded with "the NSX is an exotic car, only 200 sent to the U.S. each year. Corvettes are a dime a dozen." The engineering of the car: mid-engine = near 50/50 weight distribution (similar to S2K), the materials used and the scarcity of the car are what make the NSX so pricey. BTW, MSRP was $89k, dealer's asking price was a few hundred bucks over $100k. To be honest, I'd consider a bunch of other cars (Carrera 4, M5, Z06, Viper, 3 S2K's, etc.). Or, I'd spend another $15k and get a 911 Turbo. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-21-2002, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by urpow
Hey, I was just wondering what would be the comparative advantage of the Acura NSX since it costs 90k?

From the specs the NSX only has 290 HP, and 8000 Redline. I don't think that is really "spectacular" for a 90k car. Are there anything that I am missing? I believe that for a bit more than 90k one could get a low end Ferrari or Mercedes SL500. You'll get a luxury name also. I don't think that Acura has a Luxury name.

But the NSX exterior does look really really nice.

Thanks in advance!
No you are not missing anything. There is no advantage to the NSX...other then telling your friends you own the slowest "exotic" in the world!!
Old 06-21-2002, 04:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2Thizzle
[B]He asked a question along the lines of "Why would I spend another $40-50k on a car with similar performance as the Vette?"
Old 06-21-2002, 04:44 PM

How the car handle around curves with its double wishbone suspension was an engineering marvel back in 1991. Exotic lightweight materials like Titanium connecting rods, Aluminum, etc... Exotic design interpretation from a Japanese standpoint. What this car lacks in horsepower it makes up in visual presentation. Eye of the beholder...

Tan
Old 06-21-2002, 05:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2kpdx01
[B]
No you are not missing anything.
Old 06-21-2002, 05:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SCS2k
[B]

And I would have laughed at him and called him a moron...200 NSX's a year huh?

0-60 in 4.5-4.7 seconds.

Quick Reply: Comparative Advantage of NSX?