Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Comparison between Z51 six-speed C6 and S2000..

Old 07-20-2005, 06:07 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Comparison between Z51 six-speed C6 and S2000..

I had the chance to drive another friend's C6 the day before yesterday. It's a sunset orange metallic with tan interior (very nice looking!) FULLY loaded C6 with six-speed, and the Z51 performance suspension.

The NAV system is too cool as it talks over the radio giving directions, you have the monitor in the middle, AND it shows arrows and other information on the heads-up display that is projected on the windshield. If you get lost with this thing, you have some serious issues.

Anyway, having come from a modded C5, I'm not going to trash the C6 as it's a superior ride and one of the best sports car values on the planet. However, having driven my new S2000 for nearly 1,000 miles and then plopping into the cushy sport seats of the C6 and driving it around for a while, I am just amazed and how big and cushy the C6 feels in comparison to the S2000. The power of the C6 is incredible and it's absolute handling abilities is great, but it just doesn't have that go-kart like feel of the S2000, which I've gotten quite used to.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they're both incredible rides, but also very different, even thoug they're both sports cars. The Vette is a sports car that is nearly disguised as a GT tourer, and the S2000 is a sports car disguised as a sports car with a much more 'raw' feeling.

I'm sure if I drove the C6 for a few days, I would forget about the turn-in and nimble feel of the S2000 and love the C6, but in a way, I was almost happy to get back in the S2000.

Weird, huh?
Old 07-20-2005, 06:21 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not Weird at all to me. I've owned three Corvette's and they were great cars but after a while I want the smaller 4cyl. cars again. In general I would rather drive the smaller more tossable cars even if they are slower. It's the fun factor of the little sportscars. It's been a few years since I've had a Vette so I might buy another one, but if I do I know in two or three years I'll be back in a smaller sportscar.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:17 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jul 20 2005, 09:07 AM
Weird, huh?
No, not weird - it's pretty much what all us S2000 owners have been thinking for years now. (Regardless of how it performs compared to a pickup. )
Old 07-20-2005, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No surprise to me. The Corvette is a great machine, with ridiculous handling and speed limits. However, it's also meant to be a comfortable as a daily driver... it isn't nearly as raw at low speeds as our cars. The S2000 was only meant to be used as a daily driver by people who like being pummeled by their car (like us)
Old 07-20-2005, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCMusicJunkie,Jul 20 2005, 07:24 AM
No surprise to me. The Corvette is a great machine, with ridiculous handling and speed limits. However, it's also meant to be a comfortable as a daily driver... it isn't nearly as raw at low speeds as our cars. The S2000 was only meant to be used as a daily driver by people who like being pummeled by their car (like us)

Not really a surprise to me either. Both great cars, but in different classes. I don't spend any time on a Corvette board, but I wonder what they'd have to say about driving an S2000?
Old 07-20-2005, 01:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i have driven the c5 and the zo6 , actually a few of them. i liked the power and they have style...but the gearbox is straight out of a pick up truck...maybe the c6 is better? i think the corvette is just too much car for me...sorry to have to admit it...not too fast but more than i need in daily life and the resale...a few years down the road i could buy a s2000 for what i loose on the corvette!

i would only opt for the convertible which now has a power top...a top you do not have to get out of the car to change! now that is engineering for you.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:33 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't find it weird either. I have a C5 Z06 and love it. It handles great, it's comfortable to drive, and it's my track car. It can take a BEATING. It is an absolute adrenaline rush to get out on the track with this thing, and it doesn't hurt to drive it home.

That said, I will have my S2000 LONG after I get rid of the Z06. The Z is just a car, the S has a soul.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jul 20 2005, 08:07 AM
I'm sure if I drove the C6 for a few days, I would forget about the turn-in and nimble feel of the S2000 and love the C6.
Yes you would love the C6 but for different reasons and BTW, you will never forget that S2000 steering turn in and feel, Nothing else even comes close to the S in that respect.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by candyass,Jul 20 2005, 02:26 PM
Yes you would love the C6 but for different reasons and BTW, you will never forget that S2000 steering turn in and feel, Nothing else even comes close to the S in that respect.
Ahhh.....no! If you've never driven a car without power steering, then the S2000 is pretty good as far as steering feel (turn in is excellent), but my 'ol BMW 2002 had to die for steering feel. If you've never driven one, then there's no way to explain, but the 2002 let you know exactly where you were on the road and what the attitude of the car was (like it or not)...no power steering boosted car even comes close...
Old 07-20-2005, 09:35 PM

Having owned an S2000 for 5-years and now having owned a C6 vert for 5 months, I cannot say this is weird to me either. Of course the lengthy review I wrote up this past February detailed the points you made yourself.

There is no configuration in the C6 that will make it as tossable as the S2000. the S2000 read my thoughts and responded. The C6 takes finesse and some amount of work to drive and make it look like you have any idea of what you are doing. It's a hell of a lot of fun, but in a different way than the S2000 was.

It is not weird nor wrong to prefer one over the other or long for one when you have the other.

I like my picture below where both coexisted together for a time. That's ideal!

Quick Reply: Comparison between Z51 six-speed C6 and S2000..