Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Considering 2000 Lotus Esprit

Old 11-30-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Nunco is here as troll bait. He types and posts to feed his huge narcissistic ego because he can't get enough attention from people in real life. Any attention, whether good or bad is desirable.

Along the lines of this thread, Nunco would probably say that you can't make opinions on maintaining a Ford Model-T or a DMC Delorean since you've never owned one. It doesn't matter that parts are impossible to find, everything from that point is hearsay.

Btw, when you go to school and read books to learn, it's garbage too since it's just second or third hand hearsay experience of other people telling you stuff and you've never done it first hand. Good luck getting a job trying to acquire first-hand experience first...
Old 11-30-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Old 11-30-2012, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
You're putting out a judgement without personal experience - even to say you'd trust a Lotus of an M BMW is an expression of an opinion without personal experience to back it up. You have nothing to offer this thread, so why be here at all? Everything you have is, at best, anecdotal as well.

For all the grief you're giving people for not having firsthand knowledge of the vehicle in question, I'm not sure why you're even bothering to type anything in this thread. Heck, why are you on the board? You don't even have an S2000 and never have.
So your complaint is I won't agree that all English brands are garbage based on nothing other than tired cliches? That I won't agree that BMW makes the bestest cars ever based purely on BMW's own advertising? I'm somehow in the wrong because I don't tell people to avoid brands based purely on prejudice?

Yeah, that's rational :/

I understand your difficulty grasping why I might post here when I don't worship Honda like you. You reject any concept that might conflict with any opinion you hold. See, I don't surround myself with people who agree with me all the time. I find that boring and pointless. Why have a dialog if you cannot learn anything? How can you learn anything if you don't expose yourself to new ideas and opinions? Crazy talk, I know />

And, I'm bored. /> /> /> Ultimately we all probably have more we agree on than not. When people post invective when they disagree and nothing when they agree, invective is the dialog. I don't post "Yeah, +1" very often. Unless it's an actual poll, such minimal input on a forum is often rightfully seen as post-whoring. So we are left with rabid extremism vs. a simple comment. It's not healthy to think of a forum that way, and it's a distortion of what really takes place. And I do my best not to contribute inflammatory statements.

I posted in this thread because there were only two or three posts that didn't regurgitate the same cliches I've been hearing for decades. Only one suggested doing some research at a site that might be more appropriate to the question. I was kind of surprised.

At this point I am not surprised that rnye cannot post without insulting me even though I think we probably agree far more often than not. You cannot post without going out of your way to disagree with me, typically of the form "You are wrong because Mustang." Bullwings paints me as his personal negative-man to the extreme - what I actually write is immaterial for his/her purposes. It's like all of you are so threatened by a voice that doesn't simply regurgitate the groupthink you can't even evaluate the written word without a logical short-circuit. So why should I leave?

I try not to insult people simply for disagreeing. I don't discount points of view simply because the poster drives Car X. I don't take other people's opinions to the irrational extreme as a counter-argument or put words in their mouth. Yet I'm the troll? />
Old 11-30-2012, 07:56 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1354311835' post='22182490
You're putting out a judgement without personal experience - even to say you'd trust a Lotus of an M BMW is an expression of an opinion without personal experience to back it up. You have nothing to offer this thread, so why be here at all? Everything you have is, at best, anecdotal as well.

For all the grief you're giving people for not having firsthand knowledge of the vehicle in question, I'm not sure why you're even bothering to type anything in this thread. Heck, why are you on the board? You don't even have an S2000 and never have.
So your complaint is I won't agree that all English brands are garbage based on nothing other than tired cliches? That I won't agree that BMW makes the bestest cars ever based purely on BMW's own advertising? I'm somehow in the wrong because I don't tell people to avoid brands based purely on prejudice?

I understand your difficulty grasping why I might post here when I don't worship Honda like you. You reject any concept that might conflict with any opinion you hold. See, I don't surround myself with people who agree with me all the time. I find that boring and pointless. Why have a dialog if you cannot learn anything? How can you learn anything if you don't expose yourself to new ideas and opinions? Crazy talk, I know />/>

And, I'm bored. />/> />/> />/> Ultimately we all probably have more we agree on than not. When people post invective when they disagree and nothing when they agree, invective is the dialog. I don't post "Yeah, +1" very often. Unless it's an actual poll, such minimal input on a forum is often rightfully seen as post-whoring. So we are left with rabid extremism vs. a simple comment. It's not healthy to think of a forum that way, and it's a distortion of what really takes place. And I do my best not to contribute inflammatory statements.

I posted in this thread because there were only two or three posts that didn't regurgitate the same cliches I've been hearing for decades. Only one suggested doing some research at a site that might be more appropriate to the question. I was kind of surprised.

At this point I am not surprised that rnye cannot post without insulting me even though I think we probably agree far more often than not. You cannot post without going out of your way to disagree with me, typically of the form "You are wrong because Mustang." Bullwings paints me as his personal negative-man to the extreme - what I actually write is immaterial for his/her purposes. It's like all of you are so threatened by a voice that doesn't simply regurgitate the groupthink you can't even evaluate the written word without a logical short-circuit. So why should I leave?

I try not to insult people simply for disagreeing. I don't discount points of view simply because the poster drives Car X. I don't take other people's opinions to the irrational extreme as a counter-argument or put words in their mouth. Yet I'm the troll? />/>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c
Old 12-01-2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1354311835' post='22182490

I understand your difficulty grasping why I might post here when I don't worship Honda like you. You reject any concept that might conflict with any opinion you hold. See, I don't surround myself with people who agree with me all the time. I find that boring and pointless. Why have a dialog if you cannot learn anything? How can you learn anything if you don't expose yourself to new ideas and opinions? Crazy talk, I know />/>/>

And, I'm bored. />/>/> />/>/> />/>/> Ultimately we all probably have more we agree on than not. When people post invective when they disagree and nothing when they agree, invective is the dialog. I don't post "Yeah, +1" very often. Unless it's an actual poll, such minimal input on a forum is often rightfully seen as post-whoring. So we are left with rabid extremism vs. a simple comment. It's not healthy to think of a forum that way, and it's a distortion of what really takes place. And I do my best not to contribute inflammatory statements.

I try not to insult people simply for disagreeing. I don't discount points of view simply because the poster drives Car X. I don't take other people's opinions to the irrational extreme as a counter-argument or put words in their mouth. Yet I'm the troll? />/>/>
My POINT is that you have nothing material to offer this thread, based on the standard you've put on everyone else. If you don't have personal experience, you shouldn't be talking (apparently).

That's a really, really stupid thing to believe (it practically precludes learning from other people's experiences or mistakes) but that's a conversation for another thread.

Your point of view is based on the idea that people that said "Do(n't) do it" are completely ignorant of the facts. It denies the idea that perhaps they have had similar ideas in the past and have already done the research and are saving the OP some time and effort by steering him based on that information.

Seriously, just when I think you've hit the intelligence valley, you somehow drill a hole in the trough and take a thread to new depths of stupidity.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:05 PM

Received 1,108 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by NuncoStr8' timestamp='1354323824' post='22182801
[quote name='JonBoy' timestamp='1354311835' post='22182490']

I understand your difficulty grasping why I might post here when I don't worship Honda like you. You reject any concept that might conflict with any opinion you hold. See, I don't surround myself with people who agree with me all the time. I find that boring and pointless. Why have a dialog if you cannot learn anything? How can you learn anything if you don't expose yourself to new ideas and opinions? Crazy talk, I know />/>/>/>

And, I'm bored. />/>/>/> />/>/>/> />/>/>/> Ultimately we all probably have more we agree on than not. When people post invective when they disagree and nothing when they agree, invective is the dialog. I don't post "Yeah, +1" very often. Unless it's an actual poll, such minimal input on a forum is often rightfully seen as post-whoring. So we are left with rabid extremism vs. a simple comment. It's not healthy to think of a forum that way, and it's a distortion of what really takes place. And I do my best not to contribute inflammatory statements.

I try not to insult people simply for disagreeing. I don't discount points of view simply because the poster drives Car X. I don't take other people's opinions to the irrational extreme as a counter-argument or put words in their mouth. Yet I'm the troll? />/>/>/>

Seriously, just when I think you've hit the intelligence valley, you somehow drill a hole in the trough and take a thread to new depths of stupidity.
[/quote]

Funniest thing I've read in days.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:09 PM

Old 12-01-2012, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
Old 12-03-2012, 07:45 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

There's a guy on a Maserati forum I am on who owns an Espirit. I don't think his is too bad to own. I bet if it is a regular driver, it won't be as bad as some of the garage queens. My hunch is that some get relegated to garage queen as it is not an easy car to get in and out of and some owners, that becomes a bigger hassle over time.

If the Espirit is a car that gets your senses going, buy it! There are enough out there to secure one from an owner who really maintained it. Do you have a place that knows how to fix them near by you?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spoke to a 4-cylinder turbo owner who was tracking at Thunderhill a few years back. He told me the V8's increased power came at the expense of extra weight that ruins the balance of the car. Just wanted to share a comment of a non-V8 owner.

Personally I think it looks dated and would prefer an Exige over it. There are quite a few Esprits running around where I live and none of them seem that impressive to me.

Quick Reply: Considering 2000 Lotus Esprit