Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Considering 2000 Lotus Esprit

Old 11-29-2012, 11:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Even from a big time Lotus fan I would pass unless you really like wrenching on your cars more than driving them.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

British cars in general = Poor reliability.

Old British cars in particular = Self abuse.

Old British semi-exotics = Just put a gun to your head. It's quicker and less painful.

The Esprit is a looker though.

Out of curiosity, why not an 05/06 NSX instead?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 PM

This is a car from the era when "LOTUS" stood for Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:57 PM

z4m = sex
Old 11-29-2012, 03:40 PM

Well the overwhelming consensus is that it's not a smart buy. I guess you're right. Plus, as I was browsing the ones for sale, I noticed that all have very few miles on them. I guess that's why they're so affordable for even low mileage ones.

I would love an NSX (I think the Esprit and NSX are a tie when it comes to looks)as well, but the later models with low miles are way out of my price range. I'd like to spend around 40-45k and the ones I'm seeing are 60k and higher. I guess I'll have to resist the bug for now and wait it out until the NSX goes down in price. I'm not knocking the Z4M at all. In fact, coming from an S2000 it brought back lots of the awesome memories I had with it. They are very similar in personality.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:03 PM

1997-2001 NSX.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:12 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

If u have to ask if the lotus is expensive to maintain u need to go to lotustalk.com and start your research.

The esprit is very very unreliable & expensive to fix and repair.

I'd rather get an Elise or exige. They are appreciating right now and are chea to maintain. & are decently reliable
Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 PM

Wow. So many negative comments and not a single one from a person that has actually owned the car in question. Obviously this is the internet :/

BMW's aren't known for the trouble-free ownership experience. I'd put my money on a clean low mileage Lotus before an M BMW.

I would agree that a car like the Esprit V8 is not the car for a person looking for a cheap daily. But I would require more than hearsay from a Honda board to make a purchase decision.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Wow. So many negative comments and not a single one from a person that has actually owned the car in question. Obviously this is the internet :/

BMW's aren't known for the trouble-free ownership experience. I'd put my money on a clean low mileage Lotus before an M BMW.

I would agree that a car like the Esprit V8 is not the car for a person looking for a cheap daily. But I would require more than hearsay from a Honda board to make a purchase decision.
Exactly why I said if he even needs to ask he should first go to lotus talk and start his research. I have a friend whose family has multiple esprits. While they loved the cars they've had they also have a much higher car budget than most lol.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8

Do you need to own a car to know its expensive to fix or maintain?

Quick Reply: Considering 2000 Lotus Esprit