Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Considering 2000 Lotus Esprit

Old 11-30-2012, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxGeek
Originally Posted by NuncoStr8' timestamp='1354258987' post='22181012
Wow. So many negative comments and not a single one from a person that has actually owned the car in question. Obviously this is the internet :/

BMW's aren't known for the trouble-free ownership experience. I'd put my money on a clean low mileage Lotus before an M BMW.

I would agree that a car like the Esprit V8 is not the car for a person looking for a cheap daily. But I would require more than hearsay from a Honda board to make a purchase decision.
Do you need to own a car to know its expensive to fix or maintain?
Yes, if by "know," you mean "have first-hand knowledge." Which is how most of us define the term.

How much does an oil change cost for an Esprit V8? How much are factory replacement front rotors, and what are the aftermarket options? It's a rare car in the US so motor replacement in the event of catastrophic failure won't be pocket change, but what is the actual failure rate and how does it compare to the BMW S54 motor, for example? If you cannot answer any of these questions, you have zero knowledge of the costs of owning a Lotus and can only pretend to "know" whether they are expensive to fix and maintain.

The Esprit cost ~$90,000 in 2000. Consumables WILL cost more than for a 2012 $30,000 family sedan, and it's a safe bet major repairs will also be more expensive, both because it's rare and because $90,000 cars are usually built from more expensive parts than $30,000 cars. But do you have any first-hand knowledge of the actual running cost of an Esprit? And how it compares to any other low-mileage $90,000 car of similar age?

I realize many here do not distinguish between tired cliches and verifiable facts. But yeah, typically first-hand knowledge is required before a person can claim to "know" about a subject. In this thread, only Hasan sugested doing actual research before making a decision. That's just... :shakeshead:
Old 11-30-2012, 04:39 AM

Ok let's go with first hand experience. My dad had a 95' S4S in the early 2000s that grenaded at 11.5k miles and required $7k in valvetrain work. The car was sold shortly thereafter.

The transmission was sourced through Renault and, in the 4cyl turbo, had to be babied. Interior trim pieces were fragile and the car also had some electrical issues.

There is plenty of information available online (and has been for the better part of the decade.) it takes a special (read: loving, patient, and financially comfortable) person to own an Esprit as they are hand built botique cars from a small British manufacturer with parts sourced from various (non performance oriented) manufacturers.

Owning an Elise vs an Esprit is like comparing a 5.0 mustang to an RS200 when it comes to sourcing parts and overall reliability. (Simple analogy for Nuncodimwit).

So to keep it short and simple ill just go back to my initial post.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by MaxGeek' timestamp='1354273761' post='22181186
[quote name='NuncoStr8' timestamp='1354258987' post='22181012']
Wow. So many negative comments and not a single one from a person that has actually owned the car in question. Obviously this is the internet :/

BMW's aren't known for the trouble-free ownership experience. I'd put my money on a clean low mileage Lotus before an M BMW.

I would agree that a car like the Esprit V8 is not the car for a person looking for a cheap daily. But I would require more than hearsay from a Honda board to make a purchase decision.
Do you need to own a car to know its expensive to fix or maintain?
Yes, if by "know," you mean "have first-hand knowledge." Which is how most of us define the term.

How much does an oil change cost for an Esprit V8? How much are factory replacement front rotors, and what are the aftermarket options? It's a rare car in the US so motor replacement in the event of catastrophic failure won't be pocket change, but what is the actual failure rate and how does it compare to the BMW S54 motor, for example? If you cannot answer any of these questions, you have zero knowledge of the costs of owning a Lotus and can only pretend to "know" whether they are expensive to fix and maintain.

The Esprit cost ~$90,000 in 2000. Consumables WILL cost more than for a 2012 $30,000 family sedan, and it's a safe bet major repairs will also be more expensive, both because it's rare and because $90,000 cars are usually built from more expensive parts than $30,000 cars. But do you have any first-hand knowledge of the actual running cost of an Esprit? And how it compares to any other low-mileage $90,000 car of similar age?

I realize many here do not distinguish between tired cliches and verifiable facts. But yeah, typically first-hand knowledge is required before a person can claim to "know" about a subject. In this thread, only Hasan sugested doing actual research before making a decision. That's just... :shakeshead:
[/quote]

Like you said you can research it. You don't have to own one to do so.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:49 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rnye
Owning an Elise vs an Esprit is like comparing a 5.0 mustang to an RS200 when it comes to sourcing parts and overall reliability. (Simple analogy for Nuncodimwit).

Not exactly there are are only about 6,000 or so Elises running around the US total. There are 6,000 Mustangs in one suburb of Dallas.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister2
I'd like to spend around 40-45k and the ones I'm seeing are 60k and higher.
What about a Ferrari? There are few models that within that price range and they are not too difficult to fix.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by rnye' timestamp='1354282748' post='22181301

Not exactly there are are only about 6,000 or so Elises running around the US total. There are 6,000 Mustangs in one suburb of Dallas.
True.

However, I don't think people understand how rare the Esprit is (or just how difficult parts can be). Less than 800 Esprit V8s were brought into the US from 1997-2004. Even over the course of its 27 year run less than 11,000 were built, and production rarely broke 500 cars a year.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by rnye
Ok let's go with first hand experience. My dad had a 95' S4S in the early 2000s that grenaded at 11.5k miles and required $7k in valvetrain work. The car was sold shortly thereafter.

The transmission was sourced through Renault and, in the 4cyl turbo, had to be babied. Interior trim pieces were fragile and the car also had some electrical issues.

There is plenty of information available online (and has been for the better part of the decade.) it takes a special (read: loving, patient, and financially comfortable) person to own an Esprit as they are hand built botique cars from a small British manufacturer with parts sourced from various (non performance oriented) manufacturers.

Cool story, bra!

Just for the record, "firsthand" means it happened to you, not someone else. What you just related is secondhand. Kind of thought that'd be covered in elementary school, but whatever. I'm stupid because of the car I drive, apparently. What's your excuse?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8

And how many BMW and Lotus cars have you owned?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by NuncoStr8' timestamp='1354258987' post='22181012

And how many BMW and Lotus cars have you owned?
How many times have I told people not to buy them because I heard they are unreliable and expensive to fix and maintain?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:43 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

You're putting out a judgement without personal experience - even to say you'd trust a Lotus of an M BMW is an expression of an opinion without personal experience to back it up. You have nothing to offer this thread, so why be here at all? Everything you have is, at best, anecdotal as well.

For all the grief you're giving people for not having firsthand knowledge of the vehicle in question, I'm not sure why you're even bothering to type anything in this thread. Heck, why are you on the board? You don't even have an S2000 and never have.

Quick Reply: Considering 2000 Lotus Esprit