Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Considering 370Z, test driving tactics...?

Old 12-15-2016, 05:13 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

There is a new one with a manual at a local dealership. I'll dress nice and go check it out the nice day we get here...lol. There are a few used but they are automatics.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:00 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Are you thinking about buying new? I assumed you were looking for a used car based on the tone of your first post.

I had a 350Z for a couple years, all around a good car. It wasn't really great at anything but good at almost everything. I'm 6' 4" and it was comfortable to drive everyday, decent amount of cargo space, reliable, and quite fun. The manual transmission was probably the worst part of the car, not up Honda/Mazda standards, but it's still a manual. I think a 370Z would check a lot of your boxes and I really think it's an attractive car. Personally, I'd be looking at a used one (Nismo!) because I think it's a better value.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:08 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

a little off topic but the manual tranny could affect the negotiations.

On one side, you're excited about buying a hard to find stick ,on the other it eliminates a lot of buyers for them.

I'd treat the stick with indifference while negotiating - you may be able to get a better on the manual
Old 12-15-2016, 09:59 AM

No I'm not thinking of buying new, but I'm not going to trade my S2000. So any used car i test drive will be gone by the time I'm ready to buy it. I'd prefer to find a local who'd let me drive thiers but here in WV there just aren't that many 370Z's. I literally don't personally know a sigle person who owns a sports car of any kind. There are way more mustangs and Miatas than any other sports car around here.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Edit: find a local Carmax and you'll test drive a 370z no questions asked.

I was able to test drive everything including a 997.2 turbo s at my local Carmax. I went after the gym so I was wearing sweatpants and a baseball hat. Carmax has a 5 days no-questions asked return policy IIRC so they are really lenient with test drives since you'll just bring the car back if you don't like it

Last edited by fusionchickenleg; 12-15-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:37 PM

The nearest carmax from me is 2.5 hours. The nearest one that actually has a 370z is...who knows..lol.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made the switch to a 370z after my S2k was totaled about a year ago. I still miss the S2k, but like you I was getting tired of driving it everyday. Like 1nate7 said the 370z is good at almost everything, but master of none. I really love the Z though and it makes for a fun street car, Id HIGHLY recommend you test drive a sports package(bigger brakes, VLSD and synchro rev match). Im sure the synchro rev match is not a popular thing around here and I didnt think id use it a lot myself, but its just so effortless especially if you need to overtake someone on the highway(the quick downshift and instant power is really satisfying). Ive taken it on road trips and it was great we had room for two good sized luggages and more room behind the seats if you needed space for a bag or two and if your passenger wanted to sleep you can put the seat pretty far down to get comfortable. I know people complain about the road noise in the wheel wells but the overall road noise is worlds better than my S2k so it really doesnt bother me. As for handling the Z handles really well it has loads of grip and the steering feel is pretty nice, its very confidence inspiring. Although its not modern muscle car fast its still pretty quick, I wouldnt say it has loads low end torque but once you get it past 3k there is a good amount of power that builds up all the way to 7.5k rpm it also has a very linear power band. Ill list some cons about the 370z but good thing about these is that they can be addressed in the aftermarket.

Cons:
-Stock clutch pedal, is horrible it has no feel and is hard to modulate if you arent paying attention. I changed this clutch pedal out with an RJM adjustable clutch pedal and shifting is like butter now. I feel like this aftermarket pedal is a must because im not sure I would still have this car if it didnt exist.

-Heating issues, I would highly recommend that your first mod is an oil cooler its pretty easy to reach around 220F in hot weather or stop and go traffic. The Z when it gets around 220 it starts pulling power and the throttle response starts to lag alittle under 3k. Having an oil cooler will give you consistent throttle response and let you push the car for extended periods of t

-Stock shifter, Yea coming from the S2k we are all spoiled with how good the transmission feels out of the box. The Z's transmission isnt bad but S2k has made me a harsh critic in terms of transmission feel and the Z just feels loose and rubbery. I have a TWM short shifter and weighted shift knob and it feels mechanical and tight and similar to the S2k's.

-Weight, Coming from an S2k you are gonna feel the weight gain, is it muscle car heavy? no but id say it should have been at least 200lbs lighter from factory.

CSC issues- I havent had my CSC blow out on me(55k miles) but its a general belief that it will go out at some point. You can replace this with a heavy duty CSC and most people change the clutch while they do this since the CSC is internal. This is the biggest bill you may potentially have to pay for, other than that the reliability is solid.

PM me if you have any questions I lurk around here from time to time!
The following users liked this post:
1nate7 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by s2krazyyy
I made the switch to a 370z after my S2k was totaled about a year ago. I still miss the S2k, but like you I was getting tired of driving it everyday. Like 1nate7 said the 370z is good at almost everything, but master of none. I really love the Z though and it makes for a fun street car, Id HIGHLY recommend you test drive a sports package(bigger brakes, VLSD and synchro rev match). Im sure the synchro rev match is not a popular thing around here and I didnt think id use it a lot myself, but its just so effortless especially if you need to overtake someone on the highway(the quick downshift and instant power is really satisfying). Ive taken it on road trips and it was great we had room for two good sized luggages and more room behind the seats if you needed space for a bag or two and if your passenger wanted to sleep you can put the seat pretty far down to get comfortable. I know people complain about the road noise in the wheel wells but the overall road noise is worlds better than my S2k so it really doesnt bother me. As for handling the Z handles really well it has loads of grip and the steering feel is pretty nice, its very confidence inspiring. Although its not modern muscle car fast its still pretty quick, I wouldnt say it has loads low end torque but once you get it past 3k there is a good amount of power that builds up all the way to 7.5k rpm it also has a very linear power band. Ill list some cons about the 370z but good thing about these is that they can be addressed in the aftermarket.

Cons:
-Stock clutch pedal, is horrible it has no feel and is hard to modulate if you arent paying attention. I changed this clutch pedal out with an RJM adjustable clutch pedal and shifting is like butter now. I feel like this aftermarket pedal is a must because im not sure I would still have this car if it didnt exist.

-Heating issues, I would highly recommend that your first mod is an oil cooler its pretty easy to reach around 220F in hot weather or stop and go traffic. The Z when it gets around 220 it starts pulling power and the throttle response starts to lag alittle under 3k. Having an oil cooler will give you consistent throttle response and let you push the car for extended periods of t

-Stock shifter, Yea coming from the S2k we are all spoiled with how good the transmission feels out of the box. The Z's transmission isnt bad but S2k has made me a harsh critic in terms of transmission feel and the Z just feels loose and rubbery. I have a TWM short shifter and weighted shift knob and it feels mechanical and tight and similar to the S2k's.

-Weight, Coming from an S2k you are gonna feel the weight gain, is it muscle car heavy? no but id say it should have been at least 200lbs lighter from factory.

CSC issues- I havent had my CSC blow out on me(55k miles) but its a general belief that it will go out at some point. You can replace this with a heavy duty CSC and most people change the clutch while they do this since the CSC is internal. This is the biggest bill you may potentially have to pay for, other than that the reliability is solid.

PM me if you have any questions I lurk around here from time to time!
Thanks a lot for the info! Sounds like a car I would really like. I look forward to test driving one. Being that I've owned several older Z's and always liked them, I expect this is a better, more modern version of them. I've owned a 1975, 1983 turbo, 1984 and 1987. I've driven a 1990 and a 350z very briefly a long time ago. The 370 is the only Z I've never driven. The 1975 was my favorite with tociko springs and shocks and 240Z lightweight bumpers Honda CRX seats and a few other mods. I sold it ten years ago and still miss it.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WVCR-V
The nearest carmax from me is 2.5 hours. The nearest one that actually has a 370z is...who knows..lol.
Dang

You can always find the local sub-forum on the370z.com and see if anybody would be willing to give you a ride / let you drive their car for the price of a beer or two. There are always helpful members.

You can also try an app / website called Turo which offers peer-to-peer car rental, I've had great success with it. Around here you can rent a manual 370z or about $70 a day, which is much better than a test drive at a dealership.

Good luck mate, I hope you find the car you are looking for in the 370z
Old 12-17-2016, 07:14 AM

I appreciate the advice and I would LOVE to rent one from Turo. I see you are from Southern California where new innovations like Turo and Uber are actually a reality. Here in West Virginia lthese things don't exist in real life...lol. I will look at Tro just for fun but i would bet my bank account there isn't a 370Z available within a 4 hour drive of here.

Yep, just checked and there is one about 5 hours from here and its an automatic. I signed up for the 370 forum like a week ago and got a message saying the admin was reviewing, still haven't enabled account. As soon as it does I will ask for members who want to meet and show me their car. I garauntee I'll be driving a ways but i don't mind going an hour or so to check one out.

Last edited by WVCR-V; 12-17-2016 at 07:20 AM.