Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Considering New Purchase.. Lexus

Old 02-04-2016, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering New Purchase.. Lexus

Looking for a nice daily in the sub 20k range with a little bit of luxury and came across a nice 2012 Ct200H with 56k on the clock at my local Toyota dealer. Haven't worked numbers yet but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience? I know its basically just a glorified Prius but it has a nice aggressive look for a eco hatch and a nice touch of leather on the inside also. Can get it sub 18k without a problem just don't know anyone who has ever had one before. White pearl car with saddle interior. Premium (nav ect)
Open to other recommendations in the same price range also. Back seat is necessary but 4 doors are not.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never owned a ct200h but I would say that for the 18k mark, You probably want something with a little more than 130 odd horsepower. I understand that it is a daily driver but I believe that your daily driver has to be a fun car as well or you are going to fall asleep driving to work everyday. Unfortunately, I don't think that this 0-60 in 10 seconds car is the definition of "fun".

For that price range, you can buy a Civic Si since we already know you're a Honda fan. It's not nearly as refined as the ct200h, but it's alot more fun and good on gas as a DD.

Alternatively if you want something more refined, why not a TSX or TL? They won't look or feel like the inside of a geek's wet dream, but I would feel that they give you more of the things you do need, and less of the things you don't.

Yes... this is spoken like a true Honda fan boy, but I think at the $18k range, it's a lot better choice for these than the ct200h.

Just my two cents. Whatever you chose, I'm sure you'll end up loving your new DD.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:09 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I looked at these and they are nice, but gutless imo - so long as you just want A-B transport, it would do the job and doesn't look bad either. It does hit all the marks for small size, high utility, and good mpg, plus some lux.

On the other end of the spectrum you can have a Fiesta ST, but the trade offs are depreciations and luxury for a spunky new car, but you might be surprised how nice the Ford's interior is.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:16 AM

I had one of these as a loaner for about 5 days. I really enjoyed it.

If it's purely a daily or road trip car, it'll be great. I did mostly highway and was average 50+mpg according to the computer. I got 62mpg on one trip really working it.

Very roomy and rides like a Lexus. It does lack any power at all, so passing on the highway can sometimes be a drag.

Sub-20k, some other cars to look into would be TLs, TSX, IS250/350, A4.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appreciate all the responses. The horrible lack of power was all that bothered me I drove it around town but not on the highway yet. They do have a 09 a5 that I plan on looking at when I go back today that's around the same range which may make more sense. Obviously sacrificing some MPG but picking up 3x the power and still have the luxury involved. Seem to be pretty reliable from what I can find also although still don't know anyone personally with one to compare.'
The Acura's are another thing I plan on going to my local dealer to look at also just going to have to head up to Nashville to see what they have.
I would like to stray away from a brand new vehicle just because of the depreciation. Although I don't plan on getting rid of the car anytime soon the feeling of going under 5k at least from the point of delivery doesn't set that well.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:58 AM

reliability-wise, you are always better off with a Lexus. Japanese engineering has always been more reliable vs German engineering. Plus, parts are more often cheaper too. An 09 A5 might start showing symptoms of age very soon (depending on mileage). I wouldn't really recommending purchasing a car that might require maintenance shortly after purchase. Kind of the same position that I got into.... but it's okay... cause i'm saving an S! lol

When it comes down to it, fun, luxury, efficiency, cost effectiveness, all kind of points towards Acura at that kind of price range. Have fun at the dealers today
Old 02-04-2016, 11:06 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

My lease is up on my 2013 bmw 335i m sport 6 sp sedan. I am not getting another german car with the poor quality interface(IDRIVE) and questionable electronics. I don't know what I am going to get into, the only car that really interests me is the 2016 ford focus rs, which is made in germany and is a ford...i know.

I have and would recommend lexus to anyone for their quality, dealer network, customer service...they just don't make anything I want till I am older! But if i were to recommend any car to anyone, used or new, it would be a lexus, period.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought a new Focus SE hatch for DD in 2014 for about $13500 before tax and tags. Just checked KBB and it's still about $10k in resale. Where's the $5k depreciation?

Not a fan on used cars, especially used luxury cars. For a DD I just need the basics: power windows, locks, A/C, and an AT to deal with traffic. Focus fit the bill perfectly. Yes, it's a econobox. For what it is and how much it cost me, I'm very happy with it.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:38 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Wifey has an IS250 F-sport. Not that bad of a car. Fun to drive. Reliable. Her first car was a 2002 Acura RSX-S. Now, that was a FUN car to drive. Put over 150,000 miles on it, then gave it to her brother-in-law. Still solid.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:40 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I'd probably aim for an IS350 or even an IS250 in that price range. More power, better to drive, better looking and proven drivetrain as well (no hybrid issues to worry about - replacing a battery pack, etc). Yes, it'll probably have a few more miles or be a year older but it'll be a lot more car.

Quick Reply: Considering New Purchase.. Lexus