Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Consumer Reports Not Kind to Solstice

Old 05-06-2006, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consumer Reports Not Kind to Solstice

The latest issue of Consumer Reports complains that the Pontiac Solstice is disappointing as a sports car. Poorly chosen gear ratios and an unpleasant sounding engine that doesn't like to rev affect drivability. They also didn't like its notable wind noise, cumbersome folding top, unsupportive seats, and scant interior and trunk storage space that makes it hard to live with every day. Door locks, power window controls, and seat recline knob are difficult or impossible to reach while driving. There is no place inside to put a map or cell phone where the driver can reach them.

Moreover, you have to get out of the car and open the trunk to fold or erect the top. Opening the trunk requires releasing the roof buttresses. Likewise, closing the trunk requires going to both sides of the car to release the buttresses.

On most counts, the above issues are not a problem with the Miata.

The Miata portion of the article includes such praise as having a slick powertrain, extremely responsive handling, simple controls, and clear gauges.

The magazine also points out that ABS is an OPTION on the Pontiac while standard on the Miata. The Miata includes traction control with the stability control option. NEITHER are available on the Pontiac.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:22 AM

Lack of trunk for one.

They gave it a 99, that's the first I've seen so high for a car.

I think the aging s2k was 87
Old 05-06-2006, 10:30 AM

how about the sky
Old 05-06-2006, 10:32 AM

There's a reason the Miata is best-selling roadster of all time. The new styling of the MX-5 Miata makes it even more attractive.

Someone did a road comparison test of the Miata and Solstice a couple of months ago. The two cars were comparible in most aspects, except they said Miata had a "fun" factor not present in the Solstice.

Still, the primary selling point of the Solstice is the exterior and interior styling. If using those as the primary shopping criteria, I'd buy the Solstice. It's more comfortable, better looking, and has a nicer interior.

-Bob
Old 05-06-2006, 12:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO, the solstice interior looks nice, until you have to touch it.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:33 PM

The styling of the new Miata is a hack job. They really screwed up. Too many trendy details. Also, I completely disagree with CR when it comes to the seats. I can not get comfortable in the Mazda but I can in the Sky. All my other complaints about the Miata aside, I do not fit in it so who cares about the rest. Also, I find the GM's radio and climate controls to be better than the Mazdas.

Then again, the only reason why I care about CR's opinion is so many other people think they are worth listening to. Personally, I think they are pretty lame.

Palm, big GM hater you are it doesn't surprise me that you were the one to post this. You love bad GM press.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:35 PM

alot of people have been saying the miata is easier to get in and out compared to the solstice
Old 05-06-2006, 01:49 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthearch,May 6 2006, 10:32 AM
The new styling of the MX-5 Miata makes it even more attractive.
I kinda think the new Miata's styling sucks. I loved the graceful and smooth lines of the original:

The fact that it was the most fun car I've ever driven doesn't hurt, either.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm neither here nor there with regards to the new Miata -- but in my view they have done something right. My mother who has a 99 Miata as her toy car was very impressed with the new iteration and plans to upgrade.

The Miata was an interesting reintroduction to the convertible world for my parents who went through 356's, early E-types and numerous MGB's years ago. Their view is that with the modern and reliable Miata they can have their cake and eat it too.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,May 6 2006, 02:49 PM
I kinda think the new Miata's styling sucks. I loved the graceful and smooth lines of the original:

The fact that it was the most fun car I've ever driven doesn't hurt, either.
you dont like the s2k? its the funnest car I've ever owned

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Not Kind to Solstice