Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Could the Bird Beak Grille be finally dead?

Old 11-12-2016, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could the Bird Beak Grille be finally dead?

Acura hopes design changes boost sluggish sales The Columbus Dispatch

First a new NSX (that nobody can afford) and now hope that the Acura bird beak might be on the way out ! Could the next plan to be to finally bring some sporty 2 door cars back to finally get back on track??
I tried to get a movement started where everyone that hated the bird beak to go to your local dealer and leave birdseed in front of those grilles but seemed to not catch on.
To me this brand really fell off the rails . TL went from Pretty to Ugly , All 2 door fun cars gone , and then went generic SUV 's and sedans with bird beaks . What were they smoking?
Old 11-12-2016, 06:44 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Acura's cars haven't been competitive for years, and it's more than the poor hood design that caused that. It's one thing that sedan sales trend down as SUV sales continue to rise, but even in the sedan space, Acuras products are not interesting nor compelling, and have not been for years.

Acura is to Honda what Lincoln is to Ford, and that is a problem (for both companies).
Old 11-12-2016, 07:24 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I spoke with my dollars. When I stop by for parts for our MDX I let the sales folks know their line-up isn't interesting by not buying. Another problem Acura has is the interiors just aren't as nice. If you've experienced their recent infotainment system it's very slow to 'warm up' and was clearly designed by people who don't use the system. Plastics are only as good as my domestic now and that never use to be the case.

Take for example the TLX. Looks decent now, but their 'sporty' sedan hides the exhausts. Apparently hidden exhausts are more 'green'. Interior feels cheap, layout isn't very Honda and the headlights aren't an improvement over prior. Then you sit in a 10 year old TSX and wonder how it went so far wrong. Don't get me started on their shaky v6.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was already on its way out, as seen the 2017 MDX.

Still not a great design though.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:04 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

yawn. since the death of the integra typeR, and last gen NSX, Acura has left the enthusiast behind...way far behind- now they've befriended the enthusiast's parents and grand parents. now, we got acura's version of the civic Si up here north of the 49th in late '08- a 3 pedal, leather seat civic Si- and we thought they were back on track.

nope. i'm bored acura...very bored of you.

darcy
Old 11-13-2016, 04:25 PM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by electricmarauder
I thought it was already on its way out, as seen the 2017 MDX.

Still not a great design though.

My beef. The badge. It's massive. I really like the MDX and I looked at one as a possible suburban soccer mom mobile to go to and from work. I'd have to get in and out of the car at night so I won't have to see it. The badge is now ridiculous.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
If you've experienced their recent infotainment system it's very slow to 'warm up' and was clearly designed by people who don't use the system.
This pretty much. The infotainment in my '14 MDX is SHAMEFUL. Voice command double confirms everything you say and it's so hard to navigate through the menus with all the lag. They've made some improvements in '15, but it's still lackluster at best. I recently drove a TLX as a loaner and was severely disappointed with it.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:24 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Acura is basically a FWD based car company. At a premium price point, buyers want a RWD car with AWD option. Volvo is able to pull of FWD premium because they have their own thing going. Acura goes for vanilla; be it styling, purpose, or colors. There may be a lot of precision and design on their part, but it seems wasted. Only a couple of Acura specific cars are even worth a foot note in automotive design. Too all their know how went into something so average at best looking... They should hire Bertone or Pinninfarina to design a few cars for them.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:36 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by trcydaman
This pretty much. The infotainment in my '14 MDX is SHAMEFUL. Voice command double confirms everything you say and it's so hard to navigate through the menus with all the lag. They've made some improvements in '15, but it's still lackluster at best. I recently drove a TLX as a loaner and was severely disappointed with it.
i'd have taken it back to the acura dealer and told them its shit and asked for my money back.

darcy
​​​​​​​
Old 11-13-2016, 09:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I sadly drove the TLX. Not sure what happened, but nothing good

Quick Reply: Could the Bird Beak Grille be finally dead?