Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Daily Driver Decision: TSX or 93 or 325i

Old 04-07-2004, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily Driver Decision: TSX or 93 or 325i

So the S needs a new playmate. Given these three choices, what does the mighty car talk forum recommend? What should I avoid? Plan to test drive this weekend and buy next so I will come back with my impressions. Looking for a 'corporate' daily driver I can take clients in and pack all of the luggage for trips the S can't handle.

Old 04-07-2004, 06:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is a 93? 93 NSX?
Old 04-07-2004, 06:30 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by steve c
What is a 93? 93 NSX?
I believe he means a 9-3 Saab that is the Saab 900 replacement. 2.0L turbos with FWD...

Old 04-07-2004, 06:51 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well it depends on what's your main goal is. If you want the control and feel of RWD, the BMW is the way to go. However I would recomend against the 2.5L.

I tested a 325 and was not excited one bit about it's power. The 330i is my number one recomendation with performance package, it has a 6-speed MT better gearing, more hp, sportier suspension. In short it's a lot like the e36 M3 in some ways. Sorry this is very close to or just at $40K so that may be a factor, but if I was going to spend $30K on a 3 series for the 325i I'd find a way to get the 330i.

If you like the RWD 4 door, 3.0L I-6, look at the Lexus IS300. You can get a 5-speed MT and sport suspension as well.

I like the TSX the best of any FWD car. In part because it's not overly powerful. I hate big hp + fwd. I had a maxima, and will never go over 200hp in a FWD car.

Not a big Saab fan, but if you like it and it's a good deal, it is said to be a good car.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:54 PM

Skip the TSX and go for the TL...a much better "corporate" car. Get the six speed and you'll be a happy camper.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:03 PM

My choice between those 3 would be:
1. BMW
2. TSX
3. Saab

I had a 325i as a loaner and I was impressed with the ride and overall feel of the car. Also, plus side no fees for maintance.

Don't know much about the TSX, but it looks impressive on paper. Only as a stick though since it will huff and puff as an auto.

Test drove the Saab and even though it feels a lot nicer than the older 9 3 it seems like it will start rattling in a few months of ownership.

As far as the IS300 goes, I would rather have a G35 or the TL since they are all in the same price range.

Good luck.

Ultimately, you should test drive them and see for yourself.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:36 AM

I drove both back to back. The TSX is a great car, and an even better one for the money. It comes with all the stuff, no options, and it's a very good car to drive as well. But the 325i still has RWD balance and far better feel- better intangibles IMO. They are both great cars and I'd buy either and be happy. It just comes down to what your priorities are- value, price, and stuff- or handling, feel, and handling. I think in the end I'd spend a little more and get the Bimmer- because of all the cars I've ever owned the "stuff" gets forgotten pretty quickly but the "drive" is what keeps me in love 5 years or more down the road. I'm not putting down the TSX, I really liked the feel of it but the 325i was just that little bit more connected to the road.

Peter
Old 04-08-2004, 02:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

of the 3 you listed, i'd recommend the 325i. just make sure you get it in manual with sports package. i've driven both the saab and tsx and they are just not as satisfying to drive as the 325i. if you want more car for the money, then you should consider the g35. the g35 sedan is offered in manual now, if that is what you're looking for. besides, the g35 is roomier than all the cars you've listed which would be more appropriate if and when you need to drive clients around.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:54 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

My g/f has the TSX and it's an awesome car. Best value for the money in the category, hands down.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:52 AM
IOC

doublea

I currently own the 93 arc I have it now for just over a year. My choices that I narrowed it down to the BMW g35 and E320. I have been kicking myself ever since. THe Saab was supposed to be a solid car with iron clad reliability, but I have been suffering from first model year growing pains. THe car has been in the shop 7 out of the last 13 months mostly all electronics,but it has been a real problem for saab to fix the problem. The Service center has been great to the point of even giving us money back for time inconvenienced. The Saab turns on a dime and is a blast in the twisties the turbo lag is something I had to get use to at first(especially in the twisties because it is front wheel drive), but I am liking the pep of the car. My wife drives it daily and she is happy with it overall and as stated before saab service has been second to none.
I didn't want a 325 or 330 (at the time) because they are a dime a dozen here in Dallas the dealers are awholes in Dallas, and they are more common than a Ford Taurus,but I should have gone with my gut knowing it would have been a better car. I hope this give you one person perpsective.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver Decision: TSX or 93 or 325i