Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

DC2 Type R vs. DC5 Type S

Old 08-02-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts
Default DC2 Type R vs. DC5 Type S

Ok, so the usdm ITR is regarded to be the pinnacle of fwd vehicles, but I'm confused. The Type S RSX when it came out out accelerated it, matched cornering G and slalom test, I remember reading an article (mightve been sport compact) where the tracked them and the RSX bested it, yet the ITR is still regarded the best.
Now, I know most of you will choose the ITR over an RSX and I get that; the ITR is a hallowed car and highly collectible. But I've driven all three, and the RSX appeals to me the most, the chassis was more composed, the K engine is sublime, and the inputs were just tighter (could be a byproduct of being a fresher car).
So for the folks out there who've tracked both or been exposed to them at the track, what are your thoughts? Yes yes, I'm familiar with the wishbones, spot welds, b18c5, thicker rolls bars, lsd, etc etc with the Type R, so this isn't necessarily a technical review, just want to see if the advantages translate on the track/autocross.
Not looking to buy any of these cars, just trying to distinguish the grains of rice, lol.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:43 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

I have never driven a Type R, but the LSD alone would enable it to out-handle any fwd car made that lacked a LSD (not like you couldn't add one). From what I have heard from Type R owners, it is always the chassis they seem to be preaching about. Wasn't it more than just spot-welds? I thought the claim was that the chassis was pulled off the line and all of the seams were hand-welded.

The RSX-S is a hell of a lot nicer car IMO.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:32 PM

Ah, it is indeed an open diff, keep forgetting about since the current SI comes with one.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K series engine is light years ahead of the B series... I've only driven an ITR for a short few miles, but having owned an '05 RSX-S, I cannot buy the ITR being superior. Perhaps with the most skilled of drivers maybe? RSX-S is much more refined, ITR is much more rare...
Old 08-02-2009, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i own both, i track and daily drive both. My type R is bone stock and my Type S has coilovers, exhaust intake header, and a mugen ecu. The type R will keep up with my type S no prb on the track, they are both nice to drive daily, motor is better in the type S but the type R is a far superior car, you have to drive one to understand.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by fenixv8,Aug 2 2009, 08:52 PM
i own both, i track and daily drive both. My type R is bone stock and my Type S has coilovers, exhaust intake header, and a mugen ecu. The type R will keep up with my type S no prb on the track, they are both nice to drive daily, motor is better in the type S but the type R is a far superior car, you have to drive one to understand.
What about if you were to add an lsd to the Type S?
Old 08-02-2009, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

type r, extremely fun car right out the box..
rsx, big potential do be really fast.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never driven both but I do believe that numbers do not tell the whole story about cars. The ITR could very well be more fun to drive while being close enough to the rsx in performance that they choose it as the better vehicle.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

having owned a 98 ITR, i could say, its an out of the factory track car..its really lightweight and a rigid chassis. lightweight wheels,LSD , and internals tweaked for that purpose. great car for its time . I had fun driving it for 5 yrs. I hope to get another one .The RSX is a lil more refined imo.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:15 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Can anyone tell me or point me to some info on what exactly was done to the chassis on the Type R? My understanding is that the extra welding was very extensive, making for an incredibly rigid chassis. Someone alikened it to having a full roll cage welded into a car, in that it adds that much better response as compared to say an integra GSR.

I am with TheDon on this one, thinking that adding a LSD to an RSX-S would be more than enough to match the Type R's handling. I would love to drive a Type R and be proven wrong though!!! Now, who is game for letting me thrash their Type R one afternoon?

Quick Reply: DC2 Type R vs. DC5 Type S