Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

A DD idea thread with a different twist

Old 03-29-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Probably commiefornia
Nary a day goes by that I'm not happy I live in Texas.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
An O/T question... did you mount those snow tires on another set of rims? Did the tire installer insist on putting in TPMS sensors onto the new rims? Being a law and liability issue?

Thanks!
No TPMS, and yep, just tossed them on a set of steelies.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Probably commiefornia
Actually, the guy that told me lives in Minnesota. Where having another set of snow tires on wheels would be a good thing. The only person I know that lives in CA, that has two sets of tires (summer & winter) lives in South Lake Tahoe and drives a 15 year old Subaru. So prolly no TPMS issues.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Since when do Decent on maintenance and German Sports Sedan belong in the same sentence? There is a reason 335's with only 60k miles are selling for $15k.

My suggestion is Infiniti G37xS. It uses the Nissan FM platform, so its a front mid engine. In the X, the S only buys you sport seats and paddle shifters. You don't get the sport brakes or suspension. But you do get 330hp and a 7 speed. Its a big step in Audi S4 direction, but with a better balanced chassis (no engine hanging out past front wheels), and Japanese reliability. Its in budget. You can fit aftermarket coilovers and better brake pads if the autoX thing pans out.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Since when do Decent on maintenance and German Sports Sedan belong in the same sentence? There is a reason 335's with only 60k miles are selling for $15k.

My suggestion is Infiniti G37xS. It uses the Nissan FM platform, so its a front mid engine. In the X, the S only buys you sport seats and paddle shifters. You don't get the sport brakes or suspension. But you do get 330hp and a 7 speed. Its a big step in Audi S4 direction, but with a better balanced chassis (no engine hanging out past front wheels), and Japanese reliability. Its in budget. You can fit aftermarket coilovers and better brake pads if the autoX thing pans out.
LOL, the G37's don't really do anything well other than shuttle middle managers back and forth to work. I've had my 2011 335xi for 2+ years and 50k miles and have done ZERO unscheduled maintenance. With a few light mods it will run circles around the G's all day long. Also, skip the Mustang twins. They are great cars when you tick the 6-speed manual box, but the auto absolutely sucks to drive aggressively with..
Old 03-29-2017, 03:16 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by asrautox
LOL, the G37's don't really do anything well other than shuttle middle managers back and forth to work. I've had my 2011 335xi for 2+ years and 50k miles and have done ZERO unscheduled maintenance. With a few light mods it will run circles around the G's all day long.

Some mods don't sound like what the op is looking for. He isn't looking to break 0-60 times, just be fast enough not to be boring for his wife to drive, and to be good at autoX. Adding a heap of easy hp isn't the answer here.

Explain to me again why such an awesome car to drive like the 335i is so cheap to buy used? Its not because they are expensive to maintain?
Old 03-29-2017, 08:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy

I'll one up you with a Lexus IS F-sport. Probably more reliable, but I'm also really not a Nissan fan
Old 03-30-2017, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I had another thread a while back where I was looking for a functional, luxury, sporty DD. I never did pull the trigger on anything and am still driving a Honda Odyssey. So I am still looking for something similar except a bit of a different twist. I enjoy tracking/autoxing my S2000 and would like to try to get my wife/daughter more involved in this world. My wife cannot and will not drive a stick, plus I wouldn't put her in the S2000 as a new driver. So now I am looking for something that would make a decent stock class autox car and be fun on track if my wife eventually gets to that point, but also meets my requirements for a DD. Since it will be an autox/track car I am no longer looking to spend nearly as much, I am thinking $15k-25k budget, something that if it doesn't workout I can sell and not loose a ton on.

So:
1.) automatic with decent manual shift
2.) nice DD in a place with average winters
3.) competitive stock class autox
4.) decently quick and fun for her to drive (if it is too slow and boring she may get bored)
5.) decent on maintenance
6.)must be able to fit a bike on the roof easily

My list so far

1) 335xi (this is a leading choice right now, checks a lot of boxes and can be made faster really easily. Plus used ones are cheap).
2) 320xi (afraid this may not be quick enough)
3) Mini Cooper Country S (not sure about maintenance and if the country makes a decent autox choice)
4) Audi S4 (may be a bit more $ to buy/maintain)
5) New Civic Sport (not bad $ for a new car with lots of potential)
6) 2015-2017 Mustang GT (2 doors, but I bet she would dig the V-8! Downside is winter driving for me)
7) 2015-2017 Mustang Eco-boost (again 2 doors, not sure it offers enough to justify 2 doors i.e. the roar of a v-8)
8.)2015+ WRX
9.) Legacy (not sure what models/years came with paddle shift or what is the best autox trim)
10.)???
VW GTI is fairly competitive in the G Street autocross class and meets most of your requirements.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Buy a cheap NA Miata and a trailer. Use the minivan to haul it to the races.

Cheap, deep aftermarket, easy to find an auto, and you don't loose all that van space.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Found a 2010 328i M-sport and pulled the trigger. I think this checked all the boxes and is more practical than the 335. I will toss up a new thread when I get it!

Last edited by bgoetz; 04-01-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Quick Reply: A DD idea thread with a different twist