Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Dealer accidentally remote starts...

Old 03-26-2010, 03:37 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass,Mar 26 2010, 06:20 AM
why wasn't the ebrake set?
Lots of people who drive automatics never use an ebrake. Lots of people who drive old cars with busted ebrakes never use them either.

At the end of the day the owner gave someone a "drive my car into that lake/wall/busy intersection/etc" button.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd be scared shitless to leave a car with remote start like that in the hands of a valet or dealer. these guys aren't getting geniuses... and you know damn well if anything goes wrong, they have an easy out to blame YOU for your remote start.

I'd say there's fault on both sides, but the owner of the mustang should have been more cautious. taking the remote start keyfob off or disabling it when he dropped it off would have been the smart thing to do.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:48 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

The Mustang owner did nothing to mitigate his circumstances unless he said "Here is my remote start on my manual car that is rigged to start even if the car is in gear so don't use it unless you are sure it is out of gear, or better yet don't use it at all."

If you car is rigged to explode at the touch of a button on the keyfob, would you not tell the dealer? Would it be the dealers fault if he accidently pressed the button and the car became a million tiny pieces?

The owner will get his car fixed, but it should probably go on his insurance.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:24 AM

i think a video would be nice to illustrate what happened, just imagine this being that car and instead of the kid, it's a remote start.

would this happen with the s2k, do we even have enough torque to propel the car forward or would our cars just stall.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdbcFtVbrIo [/media]
Old 03-26-2010, 07:34 AM

Old 03-26-2010, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=vader1,Mar 26 2010, 10:48 AM] If you car is rigged to explode at the touch of a button on the keyfob, would you not tell the dealer?
Old 03-26-2010, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why on earth would the owner even give him the remote start? I would just give the dealership a key. If that was't an option, I would have it written on a piece of paper and placed it on the dash at the very least . . .
Old 03-26-2010, 07:49 AM

IMO - it happened in THEIR possesion, its THEIR fault.

Lets pretend the guy had a seizure and drove it into the pond. Their fault. Lets pretend he let the clutch out thinking it was in neutral and ran it into a pond. Their fault. Regardless of WHY it happened, they did it - its their fault. They took it upon themselves to use a feature on the car (aftermarket or otherwise) that they didn't understand/had no business using after failing to set the parking brake in the first place and wrecked the guys car. They should pay for it.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:58 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Yeah, its not the owner's fault, that's like blaming the owner that the car had 300 hp and the service tech spun it out and wrecked it. What if you brought you S in for service, and you happen to have bald tires, and a tech spins it out while testing it in the rain? Is it your fault he wrecked for having bald tires? Hell no.

There's no reason the car needed to be remote started, its unfortunate, but that's why the dealership has insurance. Guy will get a new Mustang out of it.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would blame ford, they had the keys when it happend. i wouldn't have caved in and let them get away with it.

he also should have installed the remote start properly on a manual car. if it was installed correctly, this situation wouldn't have happened. remote starts with the manual transmission safety features have checks to ensure that the car is not in gear when the car is shut off and armed

Quick Reply: Dealer accidentally remote starts...