Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Del Sol vs. CRX

Old 12-01-2008, 09:04 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts
Default Del Sol vs. CRX

So lately I've been tossing around the idea of downgrading (but it'll get procrastinated to never). After considering my usual suspects (240sx, mr2, miata etc), I've tossed around the idea of doing a b series honda. Here's the situation: engine will likely be swapped to a usdm b series, so stock engine performance not applicable in this comparison. I chose these two cars as they both intrigue me and are good value for the money. Long story short, which would you choose and why? Here's my breakdown so far:

CRX:
Pros- light light light so all the advantages that come with that, has a 200ish pound advantage over the del sol, hatch
Cons- well it is old in condition and looks (although I like the way it looks), hard to find a clean one

Del Sol:
pros- still light, looks more current, benefits from being a newer car, comparatively more unique, nicer cockpit, could find cleaner examples more readily
cons- not as light as the crx, and yes 200lbs when you're talking sub 2500lbs is a distinguishable weight difference

Price wise they're comparable.
Reason why I'm considering this is because well I concluded the S will be gone sometime in the future and started to think I should be more responsible vs. getting myself into another car payment. Furthermore, maintenance and operation cost for both of these cars will be cheap (15" tires? 4 quarts of oil?), and I could smog it for the performance goals I'm shooting for (240sx will always be my first choice, if they just made a smog legal turbo kit, ugh).
The build up will probably moderate suspension since both will be worn by now and a b series swap, leaning towards the b16 but would prefer a b18, and of course getting it smogged.
Oh and EGs and EKs, but comparing to the del sol and crx they are a bit expensive, especially the EK.
So those of you who are well versed, please chime in!
Old 12-01-2008, 09:21 AM

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm trying to make the same decision and setup for a daily driver / back-up track car. Other things you might want to consider are the storage space of the CRX vs the convertible aspect of the del Sol. Any reason you're not considering it's brethren - the civic and integra? You can find Civics that are as light as a CRX (92 CX and VX I think) and you can find a gsr's for around $5K.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The del Sol sucked...

I test drove several when it was time (I thought) to replace the CRX-Si as a track car, but in the end I decided to keep the CRX-Si. The problem with the del Sol for me was the rubber-like structure. The cowl shake was just nasty, and I know enough about track setups to know, if the structure has a lot of bending characteristics, it will not be a sharp handling car.

I will admit, I loved the rear window and the targa layout and so many other cool features, but from the point of view of a true handling car, the del Sol could never compare to the CRX-Si.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by patinum,Dec 1 2008, 10:21 AM
I'm trying to make the same decision and setup for a daily driver / back-up track car. Other things you might want to consider are the storage space of the CRX vs the convertible aspect of the del Sol. Any reason you're not considering it's brethren - the civic and integra? You can find Civics that are as light as a CRX (92 CX and VX I think) and you can find a gsr's for around $5K.
Originally I wanted an EG, but decided that the crx and del sol suit my tastes a bit more, if I'm going to revive a car might as well start with something that is a little more unique (relatively speaking of course, unique and honda should never go into the same sentence).
I'm looking into these cars for the same reason as you, a good DD (gas mileage, reliability, and low operation costs, plus I'll get most of my dinero back when the time comes) and track car, plus I would like to the hands on time and figure that with hondas there's an abundance of info out there.

Triple H, thanks for the input, I figured so much about the del sol thus the nickname del slow. But I think the del sol is a car I could live with better on a day to day basis since it does have a nicer overall package and it'll lessen the sting of not having the S.
Keep it coming guys, would also like info on people's experiences with swapped engines and how it was driving it around. Is it really like a stock car like experience? I know with my sr20det 240 it wasn't, lol, always something needed to be done to get it to run right.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:27 AM

Another former '90 CRX Si owner here. I was excited when I learned of the Del Sol, b/c I thought the targa top and roll-down rear window was pretty cool. I test drove one and thought it was OK judged on its own merits, but disappointing compared to the CRX Si. Needless to say, I didn't buy one.

The CRX Si was about as much fun as you could have w/ 108 hp - truly one of Honda's best cars ever IMO.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:33 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but does the CRX come with power steering? That would probably be a deal breaker for me since it wouldn't be too much fun for daily and/or autox. Track should be fine.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:39 AM

No, and it's not needed unless you're incredibly weak. I let my old girlfriends drive it around town, and they didn't complain. I'd prefer the CRX's manual steering over the S2k's numb power steering any day.

I used to autocross mine, and did quite well w/ it.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:47 AM

As I recall power steering was an option correct?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Dec 1 2008, 01:39 PM
No, and it's not needed unless you're incredibly weak. I let my old girlfriends drive it around town, and they didn't complain. I'd prefer the CRX's manual steering over the S2k's numb power steering any day.

I used to autocross mine, and did quite well w/ it.
I autox'd my friends EG without power steering and it was fine once I was moving, but anytime I had slow corner, it was definitely a chore. But maybe that's just because I'm not used to it. For a daily driver, I still think powersteering is a plus that should be considered when comparing the 2 cars.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The crx is obd0 and has a cable operated clutch mechanism. The Del Sol is a very heavy car in comparison to the CRX; sowewhere in the neighborhood of 2800lbs +/- 150 lbs. full tank and avg. sized driver. You will have to do a lot more work to the crx to put on a B16 if you desire a hydrolic clutch. It also requires more modification to th wiring harness. I have helped with several similar swaps. Never done the wiring on one. I do know its very straightforeword with the b16 obd1 in an eg. The engines are very versitile. The b18c1 is interesting however the intake can be a pain in the ass. There is a lot of difference in the syncros on the trannies between a b16 and b18c1/c5 that is something to take in consideration when selecting a swap. Another thing to take into consideration is the abundance of parts that interchange between the 93+ Integras and 92+ Civics and the Del Sol. GL with the project.

Quick Reply: Del Sol vs. CRX