Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Del Sol vs. CRX

Old 12-01-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

CRX is a far superior performance car than the del sol (handling). I'd get the CRX anyday unless the del sol is the B16 model. I don't think it matters since you're going to motor swap anyway. Get a K20, the B16/B18 are so 1999.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:22 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by esmith51,Dec 1 2008, 11:55 AM
The crx is obd0 and has a cable operated clutch mechanism. The Del Sol is a very heavy car in comparison to the CRX; sowewhere in the neighborhood of 2800lbs +/- 150 lbs. full tank and avg. sized driver. You will have to do a lot more work to the crx to put on a B16 if you desire a hydrolic clutch. It also requires more modification to th wiring harness. I have helped with several similar swaps. Never done the wiring on one. I do know its very straightforeword with the b16 obd1 in an eg. The engines are very versitile. The b18c1 is interesting however the intake can be a pain in the ass. There is a lot of difference in the syncros on the trannies between a b16 and b18c1/c5 that is something to take in consideration when selecting a swap. Another thing to take into consideration is the abundance of parts that interchange between the 93+ Integras and 92+ Civics and the Del Sol. GL with the project.
Thanks for the info. Weight wise the difference is about 200lbs, and unfortunately it seems like rigidity wasn't the reason for the weight increase (well it was and wasn't).
Yeah I've read about the b18 intake not fitting or something, and that you'll need more hood clearance.
Granted that the crx is a better track car, but considering that the elise is better than the vette, for all intents and purposes for me the vette will be my choice since it just offers a whole world more in terms of daily driveability, so just wanted to let people know where I'm coming from.
So is the swap/parts/maitenance a lot less of a hassle with the eg gen chassis vs. the EF chassis? I guess now would be a good time to say that I would like the creature comforts like AC since this car will get mostly dd miles and very few if any track visits, more likely back road burner than track whore. I've driven an mr2 with no power steering, and even with the better weight distribution it was a pain in the ass. But once it got rolling it was tons of fun though.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Dec 1 2008, 01:47 PM
As I recall power steering was an option correct?
They all came off the assembly line differentiated only by color, only dealer-installed accessories. It was cool that it came w/ no radio.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your not afraid of getting crushed in this thing? I entertain the idea of getting a really clean EG every 6months but keep talking myself out of it.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:30 PM

The eg's are definately easier to do in my opinion. There are still a lot of parts that are being made for them. Its overall easier to get information on. The ef's and the obd0 swap is a lot more primative in egine design. If i'm not mistaken there is a modification to the frame rail to make it fit right on the ef. There are just so many oem parts still in circulation and easy mods for the eg. The 92-95 civic dx coupe w/ full tank of gas and driver weighs in around 2375. It would be an interesting build if you don't like hatchbacks. Two of my friends back home recently put together an h2b swap in an eg hatch. Its quirky in itself with the h22 motor but it has a different bellhouseing or either an adapter to bold the b-series transmission. It drops 40lb from the heavier h22 trans and with basic hondata is putting out over 200 at the wheels. The b16 was a very strong motor in the way it was built. The intake on the b18c1 curves back downward and has a separate chamber that opens at 3500 rpms i beleive and lets the air flow through a better flowing area.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:57 PM

EK9
Old 12-01-2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Dec 1 2008, 01:50 PM
Your not afraid of getting crushed in this thing? I entertain the idea of getting a really clean EG every 6months but keep talking myself out of it.
Not really, I see wrecks on a daily basis, crumpling is a good thing and most people walk away unscathed if a little sore. If most people would just pay attention when crossing roads or not drive so closely to SUVs, alot of those accidents could've been avoided. I would actually feel safer in a del sol/crx than an s2000 (but im sure the s is actually more safer), mostly because it's not a softop.
Sounds like you and I are on the same boat about the every 6mo thing, this is the second time in 4 mos that I'm deeply considering this. It'd definitely be a lot easier if I had the S along with it, so hard to go from a car like the S to an old, adolescent civic.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Dec 1 2008, 03:07 PM
Not really, I see wrecks on a daily basis, crumpling is a good thing and most people walk away unscathed if a little sore. If most people would just pay attention when crossing roads or not drive so closely to SUVs, alot of those accidents could've been avoided. I would actually feel safer in a del sol/crx than an s2000 (but im sure the s is actually more safer), mostly because it's not a softop.
Sounds like you and I are on the same boat about the every 6mo thing, this is the second time in 4 mos that I'm deeply considering this. It'd definitely be a lot easier if I had the S along with it, so hard to go from a car like the S to an old, adolescent civic.
Word. If its your time to go, then its your time I guess. I remember I wanted a Katana 4yrs ago. My Mom recommended buying a coffin at the same time.

My dream OG Honda would be an EG that looked like this.

It would need to achieve 40mpg mixed on regular fuel. My engine of choice would be an unorthodox one. <- still dont have a clue what. I doubt a swap from a Prelude or the like would give me what I'm looking for. I can be a simple guy or a complex one. Unfortunately, there is no in between.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:08 PM

Yeah, I originally wanted an EG too, still thinking about them too, I prefer them to the EK, but I get better value with the del sol. They're usually in better condition for cheaper, so would save a lot on the bodywork type of deal. EKs are getting cheaper and wouldnt mind one of those either, ah the choices.
Im probably wrong for thinking this but I feel that the hatches are just more prone to being stolen since they're so much more common and sought after vs. a del sol, plus I like being a little different.

Let me also throw into the mix that I would liek the car to run in the 13s, so assuming a b16 (most likely vs. a b18) setup, what do you guys think would be needed?
Old 12-01-2008, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Dec 1 2008, 11:39 AM
No, and it's not needed unless you're incredibly weak. I let my old girlfriends drive it around town, and they didn't complain. I'd prefer the CRX's manual steering over the S2k's numb power steering any day.

I used to autocross mine, and did quite well w/ it.
How many old girlfriends do you have? Any young girlfriends?

Anyway, I have never seen a really good looking CRX-- most likely because I don't look into them -- but you can find pretty clean Del Sols.

Quick Reply: Del Sol vs. CRX