S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   del Sol VS S2K? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/del-sol-vs-s2k-91793/)

MLE_Sol 11-18-2002 09:29 PM

del Sol VS S2K?

Alrite, so, I've done a search and found some stuff about the del Sol, some stuff about the S2K, but nothing that actually compares the two, except some minor stuff like trunkspace.
So now I think I can ask.....those of you that have owned a del Sol and an S2K especially, can you compare the two for me? I own a '95 del Sol Si, and that's my reference.

Thnx

y2ks2k 11-18-2002 09:42 PM

Well, view my signature below, Ive owned 2 of both. Hmmm... You cant really compare them. They are really both very good bang for the bucks.. you get what you pay for for each is the best I can say. I would say you would be very impressed coming from an Si. The DOHC VTEC felt extremely familiar to the S2000 in almost every way as far as the engine reactions, both were extremely high revving monsters with almost identical feel. Handling is much better all around and very different.

MLE_Sol 11-18-2002 09:55 PM

hmmmm k....
how about some other things too, not just engine, but like roof problems? ever leaks, rattles? I saw some things about people getting holes in early model S2Ks, what else? Is there a hardtop version available? Does it fit in the trunk like the Sol? I'm very new to the S2K, I just know I love the sleek agressive look........So any and all help would be appreciated.
And I gotta ask, I know fellow "Solers" often get comments such as "del Slow", even for the VTEC model, I'm wondering if the S2000 is ever referred to as slow?
are there different models, like there was for the Sol? what are specs?

Thnx

xviper 11-18-2002 10:08 PM

You would do well to check out the "library". You'll find lots of stuff in there that would enlighten you. I've never owned a Del Sol but I was very interested in them while they were around, especially the 160 HP ones.
The first main difference is the S2000 is rear wheel drive. It also has 240 HP and a 6 speed manual tranny. The convertible soft top is electrically operated and a very few cars have exhibited leaky tops and windnoise but these were usually fixable. Some have reported their tops wearing a little thin in places, particularly where the support struts are. There is only one model, no automatic offered. The "hardtop" is an extra cost option that is put over top of the retracted soft top and NO, it will not fit in the trunk (it has to stay home when removed). Beginning in 2002 model, the soft top came with a glass rear window that is heated. Prior to this, only a plastic window was offered.

Station 11-18-2002 11:37 PM

I graduated from the Sol ('95 VTEC) to the S2000. Xviper did a good job covering the S2000 basics, so I'll stick to comparing the two cars for you.
The roof on my S never leaks, though it was never a problem on my Sol either. The Sol's roof, as you know, rattles constantly unless you tighten and use Shin Etsu grease on the seals regularly. One of the first things that struck me about the S is how solid it is. No squeaks, no rattles, nothing like the Sol in that regard. The whole car feels rock solid. I never got that feeling in the Sol.

The Sol had a great shifter. I didn't think it was possible to improve it, but Honda did just that in the S. The Sol's steering feels way overboosted compared to the S. Also, I think one of the del Sol's weaknesses was the brakes. The S has far superior brakes. You will notice a huge difference in feel the first time you step on the pedal.

I don't know about your Si, but the VTEC Sol was impressively quick. Even still, the S2000 is a HUGE step up in performance...mine is a solid second quicker in the 1/4 mile. However, the S2000 is much more difficult to launch (at least for me). My times were much more consistent with the Sol.

Coming from an Si, you will think the S is a rocket when you mash down the "go" pedal. And at low rpms, it is vastly more powerful than any Sol. The S2000 is not the fastest car around, but it's quicker than 99 out of every 100 cars you might encounter at a stoplight. That's good enough for me.

The S doesn't have different trim levels here in the States like the Sol did. Japan has a couple different versions (type V and some new special edition) but here they only come one way. The specs can be found all over this site. Good luck!!

pip33 11-19-2002 03:31 AM

I've always thought the Sols' chassis was its biggest down fall. there is simply no comparison to the S, even though I've added f/r strut brace, reinforced rear cross membering, and type-r sway bars to keep the car down (shocks, wheels...you know the drill), the car still pushed like crazy. during hard cornering, the chassis still flexes with it. my Sol ended with a torn sway bar mount during a hard corner and a suspension package that outhandled the chassis.

if I were you, get a standard (from a Integra GSR or vtec Sol) or any aftermarket "none race spec" rear sway bar. it should help getting rid of the push quiet a bit and add some fun value to the car.

Christople 11-19-2002 01:41 PM

My friend and neighbor had a 1994 Del Sol with that B16 engine in it. Black, great inside, seats could have been more supportive, maybe a leather option. I loved the styling of guages and room was more than I thought. Huge trunk, styling....well S kills it. From 0-60 was like any civic with an intake and exhaust. SLOW but from there to 100 was a big difference. My friend bought one 2 months ago with 65k miles, couldnt break 7 seconds 0-60 even with an AEM intake, which didn't impress me much. Anyways, we were driving home one night, some girl pulls out in front of us on a country road and we hit her at 50. The brakes in a del sol are horrible. We had maybe 2 seconds to slow down, and we hit her good. Option packages are what to look out for on a del sol, as well as exhaust, I think Honda makes bad stock exhausts. Other than that, upgrade tires and you are all set for a Del Sol Vtec and some new brakes would help too.

y2ks2k 11-19-2002 05:34 PM

The del Sol VTEC model has the best racing stock seats I ever sat in, far superior to the S2000's seats. I think mainly because the side support was higher and the cloth kinda held you better. The seats were so popular that everyone with a Honda wanted to get into them. Heck, they were so good, The institute of safety gave the del Sol the excellent rating for rear impact whip lashes in a group of 5 cars Like 3 Volvos and something else. Only 3 cars got

swells65 11-19-2002 09:58 PM

I had a 96 Del Sol before the S, which was my first experience of Honda power. I traded it for a Jeep so that I could explore country Australia and then I traded that for the S.

My one regret aboout the Del Sol was not using VTEC enough ......

pip33 11-20-2002 01:46 AM

Originally posted by y2ks2k

P.S. I was also the president of CLUB SOL for 5 years which even to this day was the largest Honda club ever created and it even focused on ths low production car :) We had 20000+ associate members, 1000 Gold members and about 25 chapters in states and countries around the world such as Australia, Hong Kong, etc...

:)

Vancouver...Club Sol...HEY...i remember you...though i havent been active for a very long time. Weren't you the first to install JDM foglamps??