Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Discuss: s2000 vs e36 m3

Old 05-04-2012, 05:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bumping an old thread as I was looking into an E36 M3 as a DD.

Good info in here - there is a pretty good post on one of the m3 forums about what to look for and what are the pitfalls of ownership. As already stated here a lot of the rubber goes bad and if not maintained/replaced it can lead to bigger failures.
The same guy also has a 3 part video on youtube covering the same things, but using his car to show you what he is talking about. The one thing that I do like is that with correct upkeep, the drivetrain is very stout and can last quite a while.

After reading all this I am wary to continue looking at them. However, after finding this odd dealer on autotrader - Enthusiast Auto Group in Cincinnati, OH - they specialize in buying BMW M cars and doing all of the maint. that they need. Obviously they are in it to make money so they demand a premium, but everything I read about them says they do a fantastic job finding good condition M cars and doing the right work on them.

If I decide to pull the trigger on an M3, for the peace of mind it would provide, I would pay the premium to get oen from a shop that specializes and does all the right work. Im not a mechanic so i'm not 100% comfortable that I could do it all myself. They also have some really cool special editions there - Z4M Coupes, e30 M3's, M5's, weird editions like the LTW E36 M3 etc.

http://www.enthusiastauto.com/
Old 05-04-2012, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by suprmonky73

Good info in here - there is a pretty good post on one of the m3 forums about what to look for and what are the pitfalls of ownership. As already stated here a lot of the rubber goes bad and if not maintained/replaced it can lead to bigger failures.
The same guy also has a 3 part video on youtube covering the same things, but using his car to show you what he is talking about. The one thing that I do like is that with correct upkeep, the drivetrain is very stout and can last quite a while.

After reading all this I am wary to continue looking at them. However, after finding this odd dealer on autotrader - Enthusiast Auto Group in Cincinnati, OH - they specialize in buying BMW M cars and doing all of the maint. that they need. Obviously they are in it to make money so they demand a premium, but everything I read about them says they do a fantastic job finding good condition M cars and doing the right work on them.

If I decide to pull the trigger on an M3, for the peace of mind it would provide, I would pay the premium to get oen from a shop that specializes and does all the right work. Im not a mechanic so i'm not 100% comfortable that I could do it all myself. They also have some really cool special editions there - Z4M Coupes, e30 M3's, M5's, weird editions like the LTW E36 M3 etc.

The e36 is a very reliable car as far as drivetrain is concerned. The bushings and cooling system fixes will only be a one time purchase, and can be done yourself easily if you're capable. I would put drivetrain reliability right up there with the S, if not possibly better. It's one of the most reliable BMW cars in any case. I wouldn't let these two issues deter you from what is an otherwise very awesome car. I do not own an E36, but I do have a z3m coupe, which shares a similar drivetrain (albeit different chassis and suspension design) I don't think I'd ever give the car up for an S, but that is not the point of this thread. Both are great cars, the M just does daily/hauling/practicality better, IMO. The only thing the S really has going for it here is the shifter and being a drop top. I won't exaggerate a cornering difference, as its not going to be as amazing as some here think.

Definitely a car to own in a lifetime, especially considering the somewhat cheap price for performance.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:13 AM

i had s2000 and e36 m3 at the same time before. short time but both at same time. e36 was complete stock and s2000 had an intake. my e36 had around 100k and thermostat went out one day. while trying to fix it my thermostat housing (plastic) broke. after two trips to the dealer i got it fixed in the middle of the night on the street without a light. wasn't too bad at all. e36 does have some cooling issues and once you get that all sorted out it's pretty damn reliable car. i love e36.

e36 vs s2000. i think e36 is just slightly faster. may be s2000 will catch up on 2nd and 3rd gear but i think starting 4th gear e36 will start to pull away again. i had a chance to race highly modified prelude (not sure sh or not) we were dead even at 3rd gear and as soon as i shifted into 4th i was gone. it might be a slightly different with s2000 but i believe extra 2 cylinders in e36 helps a lot once you reach high gears.

e36 handles very well but s2000 will win in handling but e36 is just right behind s2000. it handled very well for a 4 seater coupe with all stock components and with 100k miles.

if anyone have chance to pick up a very well maintained e36 do it. it is one hell of a car. that engine is just beautiful. you can even pick up 95 m3 with OBD I computer. s2000 and e36 m3 both will be collectors car. there are some e36 with competition package(?) came with huge wing from factory that you have to install it yourself. these are super rare. havn't seen one yet on the road.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

squirtle - i am extremely jealous of your Z3 M Coupe - such a weird shape but it's one of my favorite "realistic" cars.

madkimchi - you made mention of the ODB1 1995 MY, any advantage to having the odb1 version? The one with the giant wing is the LTW version i mentioned - EAG has one on their site - asking $50k for it since it has super low miles and and they only made ~150 of them. the focus was all on being lightweight so it even came with a cloth interior.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:11 AM

That's the way to buy. Too many people drive old, worn out E36s and think that's how they all feel.
I like the Estoril they have on that site, price is good too. The Hellrot sedan is listed for nearly the same price I paid for mine about 9yrs ago lol.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I just drove my friend's E36 M3 yesterday. Had 168k miles on the odo, his friend owned it previously tracked it, and did every repair on it religiously. Honestly, if you covered up the dash, I'd have thought it had 60k miles. It felt fan-f@#king-tastic. Everything about the car is to die for. It just does everything right. I want one as a 2nd car to compliment my E30 now.

My cousin is going to sell his S2000 and hop into an E36 M3 most likely. Taking him for a test drive in my friend's this weekend. Highly recommend that anyone that is curious about the cars to go and find a well-sorted example and take it for a spin. What a great car.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:52 AM

damn they got some low mile e36s. i want one now!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 01:09 PM

squirtle - i am extremely jealous of your Z3 M Coupe - such a weird shape but it's one of my favorite "realistic" cars.

madkimchi - you made mention of the ODB1 1995 MY, any advantage to having the odb1 version? The one with the giant wing is the LTW version i mentioned - EAG has one on their site - asking $50k for it since it has super low miles and and they only made ~150 of them. the focus was all on being lightweight so it even came with a cloth interior.
Thanks! It took a good 4+ years till I finally found one I wanted and sorted the way I preferred. I think if anyone is crazy about the looks it might be a better in-between than the E36 if coming from an S2000. The M coupe interior "hugs" you in the same way the S does, and its one of the few cars that does it and provides a truly unique experience. It weighs a little less than the E36, and either powerplant S52 or S54 should provide more power from an N/A perspective. Also the fact that you'll more than likely never run into one on the road is pretty appealing. I just wish it didn't take forever to find the one I wanted. The search would've been a ton shorter but I didn't want to break the bank. Some of them go for 35k+ easily. Pretty crazy for what it is, but the car is just as good an experience as the S, imo. And I truly do love the S <3