Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Discussing Hyundai as a Company

Old 02-13-2009, 07:23 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Feb 13 2009, 04:37 AM
What most Americans don't know is that cars are not the top thing Hyundai produces. They are the worlds largest big ship builder (tankers) and have some serious interest in the Asian steel industry. They also build electronics and supply a lot of vehicles to the South Korean Military. You've probably seen some Hyundai construction equipment working on road construction or another big project. If you live near a port or heavily-used commercial train tracks, you've probably seen more Hyundai containers than Hyundai cars driving on the street.

They're a monstrous company with assets in more fields than Toyota ever dreamed of. Forget the Germans and the American automotive manufacturers though....it is the Japanese the Koreans want.

Years of wars between Korea and Japan (usually with Korea losing or being occupied) has fueled a cultural drive to dominate Japan. They've turned this drive into a business push instead of militaristic battle. Despite what their marketing department might show you, they are after the Japanese.
Very good insight.
Hyundai for a long time built cars primarily for their domestic market and exported as a means to make extra coin. It was just a matter of time for a company that diversed to focus their efforts on their automotive division.
I thought that hyundai made pos cars back in the day because they did make pos cars back in the day. Problem is that people cannot get passed a manufacturer name despite a good model, and I can't really blame them, what gets me is the constant rhetoric when the manufacturer has turned its company around.
The only criticism I will say with the OP's logic is this: Japanese car manufacturers have always made a solid, reliable product with the same approach, they just do it in higher volume now. There was no dark period where their cars were substandard in terms of quality control, it just wasn't a popular package (i.e. little four bangers when V8s were all the rage and V6s were more or less entry level), but the cars were still solid. Hyundai did go through a period when their cars were comparatively indecent.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:30 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I'd buy a Hyundai today. I'd also buy certain GM and Ford products today. If you'd asked me if I'd buy any of them in 2004 I would have laughed at you outright - goes to show that car companies can change and that they do it a lot faster than Toyota, Nissan and Honda did - it took them a full 20 years to get mainstream acceptance and they paved the way for others.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They definitely stepped up their game. My wife and I are torn on a 2nd car. It's between a Genesis and Jeep SRT-8. I would have never thought twice about this a few years ago.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:40 AM

Old 02-13-2009, 07:52 AM

Less conservative than the japanese
Old 02-13-2009, 08:23 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Feb 13 2009, 02:26 AM
Hell, if I told you guys 5 years ago that Hyundai will win N.American Car of The Year, you would think I'm hitting the crack pipe too hard.
I think Hyundai is a decent company, and they make a few nice cars, I am not willing to go farther than that.

North American Car of the Year aint that big a deal. Its been handed to lots of stuff over the years and the last year has not exactly been a banner year in terms of new car introductions. The award is given to a new model, I don't know how many were introduced (and truck of the year is a totally seperate award) so they may have had the top model of about four or five real contenders.

I also think calling them the new Lexus is a stretch. They may be that some day but I would think if they want to be on par with Lexus they need to have a different luxury name plate. Throwing the "Hyundai" keychain in front of the babe at the country club does not quite have the impact of a porsche, bimmer, merc, audi, lexus, panache.

I would put them on par with where Honda was at the begining of their launch of Acura in terms of how their product measures up against the market and level of prestige. But that just one guy's opinion.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Many of the Korean companies are committed to having the best product in their target market and I think Hyundai is no different.

The Korean marketers are clear on the fact that price is a priority for buyers so they insure that are the value player in each segment.

What you have is a organization positioned to be one of the leaders in world auto sales... and justifiably so.

I would buy one of their products.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:07 AM

[QUOTEThe Germans never expected that the LS400, 430, and now the 600 would be even close to their S class/7 series, not to mention BETTER!![/QUOTE]

Obviously that is only your opinion and is completely relative...the Lexus is a great reliable car with very high fit and finish but I would easily fall asleep driving one. That being said I agree with you 100% on Hyundai...while I'm not ready to compare them to Lexus I definitely think they fit in somewhere between say Toyota and Lexus (Honda/Acura...Nissan/Infinit..etc.). They have been building pretty solid cars for several years now and the Genesis and Genesis Coupe are impressive cars. I haven't seen the coupe yet but I was rather impressed in my brief seat time in the sedan...they have come a long way. Of the Japanese makes I tend to favor Honda just because they have always been good for me but Honda's insistence on FWD will definitely have me driving a Genesis Coupe when it hits dealers.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by derryck,Feb 13 2009, 11:07 AM
[QUOTEThe Germans never expected that the LS400, 430, and now the 600 would be even close to their S class/7 series, not to mention BETTER!!
Obviously that is only your opinion and is completely relative...the Lexus is a great reliable car with very high fit and finish but I would easily fall asleep driving one. That being said I agree with you 100% on Hyundai...while I'm not ready to compare them to Lexus I definitely think they fit in somewhere between say Toyota and Lexus (Honda/Acura...Nissan/Infinit..etc.). They have been building pretty solid cars for several years now and the Genesis and Genesis Coupe are impressive cars. I haven't seen the coupe yet but I was rather impressed in my brief seat time in the sedan...they have come a long way. Of the Japanese makes I tend to favor Honda just because they have always been good for me but Honda's insistence on FWD will definitely have me driving a Genesis Coupe when it hits dealers. [/QUOTE]
You are right that it may be his opinion but based on what? If you are saying that Lexus is better at Lux then BMW, Merc, etc I have to agree 100%.

Lexus interiors are unmatched IMO

Drivability in the Lux Sedan market, Lexus falls a little short...

As far as Hyundai goes, 5-10 years from now I have a feeling they will be my first choice to be in my driveway
Old 02-13-2009, 12:01 PM

A few years ago when I first bought my Accord, I really wanted the Sonata because for the same price I could have a V6 with a sunroof. Also the Sonata was more comfy and in a blind test, you too would probably pick the Sonata with the tiptronic. Thing is, my parents had significant influence since they were paying, and so I bought the Accord. Great car, don't get me wrong, but at the moment it didn't make as much sense to me as the Sonata with a 10yr warranty.

Now though, I need to look at their individual offerings. If I wanted an SUV, I'd probably look at Honda/Acura more, but if I was looking for a niche car, I'd look at every individual model for fitness, yes, including "American".

Look at the specs on the Tiburon:
[QUOTE]GT 2dr Coupe
Horsepower: 172 @ 6,000 rpm
Torque: 181 @ 3,800 rpm
Transmission: 5-spd man w/OD
Curb Weight: 2,969 lbs.
Fuel Type: regular unleaded

Compare

Quick Reply: Discussing Hyundai as a Company