Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Discussing Hyundai as a Company

Old 02-13-2009, 12:16 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by WRS2K,Feb 13 2009, 08:40 AM

Hmm, makes me wanna wear my jersey.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering Yugo and Hyundai launched the same year in America I would say Hyundai is doing quite well.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Feb 13 2009, 01:16 PM
Hmm, makes me wanna wear my jersey.
You're my new s2ki.com friend

Old 02-13-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by GPMike,Feb 13 2009, 01:19 PM
Considering Yugo and Hyundai launched the same year in America I would say Hyundai is doing quite well.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Feb 13 2009, 10:23 AM
Japanese car manufacturers have always made a solid, reliable product with the same approach, they just do it in higher volume now. There was no dark period where their cars were substandard in terms of quality control, it just wasn't a popular package (i.e. little four bangers when V8s were all the rage and V6s were more or less entry level), but the cars were still solid. Hyundai did go through a period when their cars were comparatively indecent.

With good tech help from Mitsubishi back in early 90s, Hyundai was be able to improve their quality much.

BUT, they seriously LACK R&D investments on new technologies.
I see good improvements in fit and finish stuff, but almost no improvements in terms of "newer technologies"

Honda and Toyota has been always known/advertised their new tech used on cars, while Hyundai always advertise their price point and number comparison with other company.
(This has been ALWAYS like this since their entry to N.A. market)

I don't see any more significant growth of Hyundai in N.A. for while.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:50 PM

They
Old 02-13-2009, 02:01 PM

I'll never buy from them.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Ex...ghter-Case.html

Killed my best friend and then tried to cover it up.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Aerodax,Feb 13 2009, 03:01 PM
I'll never buy from them.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Ex...ghter-Case.html

Killed my best friend and then tried to cover it up.
That's horrible to hear but I'm completely at a loss as to how you think this is Hyundai's fault. Dude got plastered, killed someone driving drunk, one of his work friends suggested he get on a plane and run like hell. He made a bad decision and you'd be stupid to try to extrapolate those actions to his employer. If his actions were under the advice of his employer it would be another story.

The guy also got fired and extradited. I think it's pretty clear that his employer and country do not endorse his actions.

I once made a joke which was in poor taste, does that make my employer sexist?

Anyways, I think Hyundai's doing some great stuff. I'm interested in the Genesis and hope they continue to make a kickass lineup. Their Superbowl commercial was awesome.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kremlin,Feb 13 2009, 03:21 PM
That's horrible to hear but I'm completely at a loss as to how you think this is Hyundai's fault. Dude got plastered, killed someone driving drunk, one of his work friends suggested he get on a plane and run like hell. He made a bad decision and you'd be stupid to try to extrapolate those actions to his employer. If his actions were under the advice of his employer it would be another story.

The guy also got fired and extradited. I think it's pretty clear that his employer and country do not endorse his actions.

I once made a joke which was in poor taste, does that make my employer sexist?

Anyways, I think Hyundai's doing some great stuff. I'm interested in the Genesis and hope they continue to make a kickass lineup. Their Superbowl commercial was awesome.
The event where this guy got drunk was a company-sponsored dinner and the company car involved in the accident was repaired quickly after the hit and run....by Hyundai. They also provided legal console prior to his flight from the county. When he was in Korea and the FBI approached Hyundai to find out where he was they refused to assist.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:50 PM

Definitely a sad story, but I wouldn't hold the company at fault for that.

I think Hyundai has done a great job in the last 5 years. Marketing, Quality, and Reliability all have improved. They are coming out with models that individuals actually want to purchase at price points that really make them think twice about the competition. I've never thought about purchasing a Hyundai, but with the Genesis and the newer Sonata, they are both cars that would fit the daily driver role just fine. Give them another 5 years, and they will be neck and neck with the Japanese. Maybe not on the luxury front, but they will definitely be MORE than just the cheaper alternative.

Quick Reply: Discussing Hyundai as a Company