Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > General Interest > Car Talk
Reload this Page >

Distress over the Hellephant

Notices
Car Talk Discussions and comparisions of cars of all makes and models.

Distress over the Hellephant

Old 11-05-2018, 06:25 PM

Liked 60 Times in 50 Posts

People like being higher up because they feel safer, and they sorta are. Also, scraping and suspension travel over crappy roads make cuvs more appealing than sedans. Most people wouldn't know true vehicle dynamics vs just a tight suspension or steering, ask bmw lol.

I wish a manufacturer would make rally cars for the street, like the groupe b type of cars, lightly lifted, caged out. People are realizing driving sports cars in most real world setting flat out sucks. I'd kill for a car built in the vein of the tumbler from batman lol. Tired of being defeated by a stupid parking lot entrance.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:07 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer View Post
Because lots of people like to think everyone should like what they like or be wrong. Even people who autocross, race or go on big car club pleasure drives will sometimes hate on those "fuel wasting SUV's ... lol
I have a fuel-wasting SUV... the 4 speed doesn't do it justice, the only reason I am holding onto it is that the benefit of ownership outweighs the payments and mileage saved on a newer unit. That said if I was to total it out tomorrow, I would have no problem throwing down for a diesel Colorado....

In truth, the economy is run by consumers, and we the happy few content with 200 hp, rwd and 50/50 balance and no amenities will find the "people mover/CUV" a waste, we are also the people who enjoy cars like the V70 wagon, and actually use full-size trucks for truck things, or jeeps for jeep things ( i hate mall crawlers as much as the next guy)

But like the horse, the personally operated vehicle, aimed at fun, will be separated from the day to day ( I call it within the next 15 years) and will be a luxury....

now the problem with that model is the literal size of the US, we can't have all-electric cars because the infrastructure doesn't support it... yet I know ford/bmw are working on universal charging "gas stations"
The autonomous car, or people mover, is the future, it's just how soon and where is the big debate.

If it comes to the point I cannot pilot a vehicle of my choosing inner city, I guess I will head to the hills like a 1870s outlaw
Old 11-06-2018, 11:05 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Most people today don't like station wagons and/or minivans because our parents had those.

Just wait a generation and if driving cars is still a thing, then our kids won't like CUVs and they'll be getting station wagons when they start a family
Old 11-06-2018, 11:20 AM

Liked 63 Times in 55 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider View Post
They only want to be high(er) up since everyone else is, doesn't justify it. What did she drive prior to CUV's existing?
She still drives a Civic but she prefers to ride higher. She had a Crosstour for a while that was a nice compromise - loved it.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:10 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
Most people today don't like station wagons and/or minivans because our parents had those.

Just wait a generation and if driving cars is still a thing, then our kids won't like CUVs and they'll be getting station wagons when they start a family
See I am not so sure the swing will come back. By that time and era I believe the vast majority of automobiles will be on a monthly subscriber user basis. Or worse yet autonomous.

I have belief the symbol of wealth and hard earned satisfaction of owning a car is dying quickly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands