Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The divorce is final with the S2000

Old 11-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
Question The divorce is final with the S2000

Long read, skip to pics and comment if you wish.

I feel I shall fit in very nicely in one of the cars, the prick's definitely on the inside - har har har.

I'll try and go into detail on the BMW, but I'll be vague and quick on the Maserati since I know it just doesn't appeal to the demographic on this forum. I'm not a great car reviewer, just a good troll, so I'll try my best. Feel free to bash my grammar and any facts I get wrong about the cars. Shit...feel free to bash anything, have fun!

I know none of these cars have the raw power of a Rustang, the awesome interior of a C6, the amazing handling and trackability of a Miata, and the exclusiveness of a Mugen R Civic. I only hope to someday own some of those amazing vehicles. I also know they will never look nearly as good as a hellaflush s2000 slammed on ce28s/rpf1s with a tight ass lip.

Ok, first car up is the BMW M Coupe. The M Coupe is based off of the Z4, but has M3 CSL rotors (same brake pads as the previous "clownshoe" M (brake dust nightmare)), motor from m3. My particular M has the premium package, ooooooooo, MSRP was $60k. The super secret codename for this car is e86. Rant: I hate BMW's codenames, so annoying. I easily picked up Porsche's (996, 986, 993, 997), but BMW's never made any sense to me. Anyone else like the e89? I like them. Big improvement in looks over the z4, though they are much heavier now

The M Coupe replaced my 07 S2000. I'm finally done with S2000s. It was my third one. I had a 00 BB and 00 GPW before. I just don't get satisfaction from driving it anymore (I can already hear the fanbois gritting their teeth with tears in their eyes). I would say I "graduated" from the S200. It doesn't mean I don't like the car anymore, I still like and respect them (I had three for Christ's sakes!). Sadly for you guys, I will still be here even though I don't own an S2000. S2ki provides tons of lols for me when I'm at work.

Anyways...about the M Coupe. I'd say it is the perfect upgrade from an S2000, much like the Cayman. I'd definitely say it is a great competitor to the Cayman, I won't say it is superior. I think they are both equal - blasphemy!! I did consider a Cayman, but I really wanted to try a BMW out (I already had 2 porsches before). Truth be told I never liked bimmers. I was never impressed with their interiors or their exteriors. They are dime-a-dozen here in VA. But when car shopping for a S2000 replacement, I was completely oblivious to the M Coupe. One day I was driving home from work, sitting at a red light, and I saw a silver M Coupe crossing the intersection. It immediately caught my eye, pretty damn rare for a BMW. As soon as I got home I was researching it and finding prices. A few weeks later I had one. M Coupes are rare in my parts, there were only 3 for sale in a 30mile radius, and I see an M Coupe once every 3 or so months. I think I even posted a thread a while ago about how impressed I was with it....

On to the review since I've been driving it for 2 months.

Exterior (all IMO) - Looks better than a Z4 (which I never liked). I would say it looks very very similiar to an S2000 with the spoon hardtop. Front view is ok, the bubble top helps. (a la gts viper/rx7). The rear view is awesome, and I love the sideview. 1/4 views are not bad either.

Interior (all IMO) - Great interior. The leather doesn't wrinkle easily and smells great. The seats fit me perfectly (ripped athletic statuesque man @ 5'10). The steering wheel is the best I have ever used, it has a nice thickness to it (for the ladies ), but isn't overly large like the RX7's, think of the s2000's steering wheel but better and wrapped in nice leather. Rear visibility is great. Has lots of amenities and makes for a great touring car. The heated seats will scorch your ass on level 3, and the heating system works amazingly well (small cabin helps too). Overall realllly nice interior and exactly what I am looking for in a sporty yet luxurious car. Blew my mind away that the interior of a BMW would appeal to me. The headliner is also one of my favs, I love the fabric (just as much as the alcantara in the TT I had). The sound system is lacking in the bass department, the subwoofers struggle with certain frequencies and can sound like shit. Mids and highs are fine. Nav system is just okay, can be hard to read sometimes. Hands free phone works well, people can hear me clearly. Shifter feels adequate, but nothing like the s2000, but not nearly as retarded and long like the STi (worst shifter of all time).

Performance - Excellent. Handles like it's on rails, very fun to drive just like the s2000. Has great torque. It does lack a little on the top end. It's really easy to drift this car, it doesn't have the weird snap steering like the s2000. It has the same "go-cart" feeling as the s2000, something I was very much looking for in a car that replaces the s2000. Stock exhaust note is tame, I removed the mufflers and it sounds much better In sport mode the throttle is quite sensitive, and can lead to rock/jittery takeoffs in first gear if you're just cruising around town. I tend to leave sport mode off if I'm just putting around town. But there is a very noticeable different between sport mode on and off (which is nice).

Issues/Qualms so far - Nothing major. Has a CEL that doesn't seem to want to go away (took it to dealer, they cleared it and updated the ECU, but the damn thing came back!). I checked the oil about a week after I bought it (bad idea, I know) and found it was almost black! It isn't due for service for another 3000 miles, but I got the oil changed anyways ($170). Not an issue of the car, just think that the intervals may be too long? Dunno. That's it, nothing else bothers me about the car (I did find a missing bolt on the sway bar, damn dealership!). Like I mentioned before it has an anemic top end (from about 5800 to redline), not sure what mods would help that (not a large aftermarket for this car).

I can't think of anything else, feel free to ask questions - but only after addressing me as Lord St4rk the Defender and Leader of Trolls and Count of Trollville.

Now on to my expert, professional, and meticulous photography of the car:

Okay got that car out of the way. The most recent change was getting rid of my 996tt. I will be brief, this thread is already a freaking novel. I started to view the 996 as a very dated looking bodystyle, the 997 is superior in every way. It started to bother me. I needed a second car that is more practical - having 2 sports cars was kinda pointless. I got the 2005 quattroporte as a replacement. I love it. Big heavy car but doesn't feel like it. Superb interior (I was smelling the interiors of the 2010 quattroportes in the showroom and almost had an orgasm, they smelled freaking amazing). The "duo-select" transmission makes it more fun to drive than a standard automatic, but itsn't as involved as a manual. That about covers it, quick pics of the car:

More pics and info of the maserati if requested, but somehow I highly doubt it will be
Old 11-15-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

That is a pretty nice combo, I've been thinking about a Cayman S and should really look at the Z4 M coupe as well, the only thing is I don't like the seating position. I drove my neighbors Z4 3.0si coupe and it felt like I was sitting in the trunk with a long nose in front.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:59 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Love the M coupe! That blue color looks pretty sweet.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love 'em both. You have to do exhaust on the Maserati!!

Every video Ive seen seems like it takes forever for the Quattroporte to start..
Old 11-15-2010, 12:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Although I treated you as one of the biggest d-bags on this board, I must say you made a pretty good choice on your car purchases.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:33 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Dang must be nice, quattroporte and z4m coupe!
I love those cars, but the upkeep on those cars scare me away, sad cuz I really really really want one of those cars in a bad way despite all the BMW knocking I do on these boards.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice M coupe!
Old 11-15-2010, 12:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice upgrades=]=]

Do yourself a favor and check your car's engine mounts, as they have a tsb/service bulletin for its recall. It was prone to have gotten loose over time and heat.

Do yourself another favor by buying the stock zhp bmw knob. Sure it doesn't light up at night, you can resort this by asking a member starscream on zpost. Sure felt a couple worlds better just after this mod.

A reminder that our cars have a "floating" clutch and will "chatter" at redlights or low speeds in first gear.

only 1800 in North America here. Have fun with yours!

*edit check your o2 bungs within the headers, perhaps previous owner tempered with it or had aftermarket headers or even e46m3 headers or (csl?)

Does your car have extended leather or the carbon trim? Those two things are one of my favs stock from this car.

Oh, and hopefully you found the auxiliary jack=p

lmk if u have any questions on the car + mods

*any z4 models, e85's or e86's, you can straight up yank out the kidney grills without any additional work. lol. Go ahead and try it=P

Old 11-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Lord St4rk the Defender and Leader of Trolls and Count of Trollville

Nice BMW, but I prefer the Maserati
Old 11-15-2010, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M coupe is one of my all time favorite cars, I love that long front end look. In white they are so damn sexy. I hope to own one one day.

Quick Reply: The divorce is final with the S2000