Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Do tend to keep cars long term or rotate often?

Old 12-23-2018, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was younger I would buy a new to me car every 1 or 2 years. I'm 36 now and have slowed down quite a bit. I've owned the S2000 for 15 great years and hope to keep it for a while longer. The cost of ownership versus fun to drive just can't be beaten. I always have the itch for something new but between the taxes, registration and insurance, swapping cars every few years is a big waste of money. These days I tend to keep a car or truck for a long time.

My last purchase was a 1965 mustang which I kept for 9 months, worked on it and then sold for more than I bought it for. This is something I may want to do again. However, being a homeowner in So Cal takes up a significant portion of our income so not having car payments makes the most sense at the moment. When the C8 comes out it may warrant a C7 > C8 upgrade.. but it will have to justify the price difference.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:36 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Back in the 80's, kept cars about 6 years; now, with cars aging better, creeping towards 10 years average.

Owning the Tiger 27 years now skews the math a bit.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Pretty long except for when they get totaled or catch on fire. I’ve had one car for 10 yrs. but, the other two will now be new or only a year old, since my other car caught on fire. The cars I’ve been buying have been increasing in price over the years which makes me less likely to continue to keep them out of warranty. But, 4-5 yrs on avg going forward.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:31 PM

Received 3,371 Likes on 2,450 Posts

My daily drivers rarely hang around more than 3-5 years, most are right around 3 years. I tend to get rid of them by 80k miles max. It costs me each month for all the years I've been driving, but I've never had to do a repair on any of my cars - never done brakes, clutch, alternators, batteries , nothing, etc., and most of the time I don't even need to do tires. The only car I've kept for a decent amount of time was the S2000 at 9 years, by far the longest.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 171 Likes on 85 Posts

My DD is a 96 LS 400 w/210K miles, so yes I tend to keep it.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:59 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Drove the piss out of my last DD's, sold my TSX with 220K miles on it and kills me every day. Currently driving a TLX which I can't stomach long term so don't know what to do....

To answer your question, at heart I'm a long term guy but will probably rotate this TLX til I find the car that does it for me.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:44 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

For the first eight years I had my license I averaged a new car each year.

That said, I've had my current daily for 4+ years and I'm coming up on three years with the AP1. I'm confident I'll get a decade from my daily & I have no intention of ever selling the S2000.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stop lying to yourself. Denial phase.

A lot of people here are saying they are long term planners but in the same breath say they swap out every 3 years.
Long term implies at the least is a financial decision to keep at around 7 or more years of ownership.

Come on people, you are _no_ longer long term planners. You may want to be, or used to be, but not any longer.

I’m a true long term planner at this moment. Both daily family cars and sports cars.

I was a long term planner early in my driving life, then went the swap route. Then back to planner about 13 years ago.

I went the planner route again because cars are holding up so much better now, and at the same car class levels quality and luxury are way up. The next reason is because the sports car is practically dead.

With the only sporty cars that interest me going for > $120k and even then if you find something for less your looking at automatics or a bucket of gremlins.

Looking back I should not have sold my S2000. In fact I should not have sold my Mazdaspeed3. Both these cars ran great. I had them for a loooong time (7+ years). The money I got for the MS3 was pathetic. Should’ve kept it.

I thought that sports cars would just keep coming out, and continue to get better.

Nope.

The good ones already came out. The new ones are FAT, autos, look boring, and offer no actual excitement.

I want the full package. I want to look at the car, and smile that it’s awesome. I want to drive the car, turn and shift and think that damn, that’s awesome. I want to put the power down OR take a turn and have mid corner speeds put giggles all over my Instagram page (Instagram part a joke but I’m serious about the rest).

You see modern cars today, and they only do one of those things. Then people smile and say “See! Look! That one part was awesome! Sports cars are still here!” Please...

I went and bought a new Type-R. I will keep this car forever. I was looking for another S2000, I’m sure there will still be another.

You know what catches my eye? Old FDs (RX7s), Supras (but i wouldn’t own one), older manual vtec Civic or RSXs, older manual 911s, S2000s, older NSXs. Early inline BMWs even.

The only exception is the Miata. They stay true and I’d get one new. It drives fantastic. In another 3-4 years you will no longer be able to find a decent S2000 that will be priced within reason. Even now the price is high enough that you have to find near exceptional ones else pay to get body fixed from rust spots. I’ve seen really bad cases. We could be seeing 30-40K if less than 50k miles. I wouldn’t be surprised if the prices jump to 50k for regular S2Ks. CRs are already up there at $60k+. It’s this reason why I know we’ll see more owners go for the Miata when they want to come back but can’t because they don’t want to break the bank.

The Type-r may not be here long. Many skip it because they feel it differs from the type of drive that the S2K offers. True it’s not N/A, and is FWD, but the car is all smiles. The exterior grows on you.

The new 911T and the older GT4 are the only cars I’d consider from Porsche. Everything else has sky rocketed in price to the point that it’s not worth it. Older 911s are priced so high ... only if you can find one within budget (including repairs).

The gt350 was on my list but I’ve started to see scary bad things happen. I don’t count the new Mustang and Camaro. One is actually too heavy and is still only one smile factor (power). The other could be, but feels too big, poor visibility, and generally doesn’t look like it will last long (paint, panels, bushings).

Part of being a long term-er is knowing how well the car will hold up.

There are other older models of cars I’d list but I’ll keep them secret so as to not see them increase in price. :-)

Old 12-24-2018, 06:05 AM

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I
Originally Posted by jasonjm
A lot of people here are saying they are long term planners but in the same breath say they swap out every 3 years.
Long term implies at the least is a financial decision to keep at around 7 or more years of ownership.

Come on people, you are _no_ longer long term planners. You may want to be, or used to be, but not any longer.

I’m a true long term planner at this moment. Both daily family cars and sports cars.

I was a long term planner early in my driving life, then went the swap route. Then back to planner about 13 years ago.

I went the planner route again because cars are holding up so much better now, and at the same car class levels quality and luxury are way up. The next reason is because the sports car is practically dead.

With the only sporty cars that interest me going for > $120k and even then if you find something for less your looking at automatics or a bucket of gremlins.

Looking back I should not have sold my S2000. In fact I should not have sold my Mazdaspeed3. Both these cars ran great. I had them for a loooong time (7+ years). The money I got for the MS3 was pathetic. Should’ve kept it.

I thought that sports cars would just keep coming out, and continue to get better.

Nope.

The good ones already came out. The new ones are FAT, autos, look boring, and offer no actual excitement.

I want the full package. I want to look at the car, and smile that it’s awesome. I want to drive the car, turn and shift and think that damn, that’s awesome. I want to put the power down OR take a turn and have mid corner speeds put giggles all over my Instagram page (Instagram part a joke but I’m serious about the rest).

You see modern cars today, and they only do one of those things. Then people smile and say “See! Look! That one part was awesome! Sports cars are still here!” Please...

I went and bought a new Type-R. I will keep this car forever. I was looking for another S2000, I’m sure there will still be another.

You know what catches my eye? Old FDs (RX7s), Supras (but i wouldn’t own one), older manual vtec Civic or RSXs, older manual 911s, S2000s, older NSXs. Early inline BMWs even.

The only exception is the Miata. They stay true and I’d get one new. It drives fantastic. In another 3-4 years you will no longer be able to find a decent S2000 that will be priced within reason. Even now the price is high enough that you have to find near exceptional ones else pay to get body fixed from rust spots. I’ve seen really bad cases. We could be seeing 30-40K if less than 50k miles. I wouldn’t be surprised if the prices jump to 50k for regular S2Ks. CRs are already up there at $60k+. It’s this reason why I know we’ll see more owners go for the Miata when they want to come back but can’t because they don’t want to break the bank.

The Type-r may not be here long. Many skip it because they feel it differs from the type of drive that the S2K offers. True it’s not N/A, and is FWD, but the car is all smiles. The exterior grows on you.

The new 911T and the older GT4 are the only cars I’d consider from Porsche. Everything else has sky rocketed in price to the point that it’s not worth it. Older 911s are priced so high ... only if you can find one within budget (including repairs).

The gt350 was on my list but I’ve started to see scary bad things happen. I don’t count the new Mustang and Camaro. One is actually too heavy and is still only one smile factor (power). The other could be, but feels too big, poor visibility, and generally doesn’t look like it will last long (paint, panels, bushings).

Part of being a long term-er is knowing how well the car will hold up.

There are other older models of cars I’d list but I’ll keep them secret so as to not see them increase in price. :-)

7+ years is not a looonngg time as you say. Especially considering the average age is 10+.

There was a period of 3-4 years right out of college that I changed vehicles annually, but they were $10-12k vehicles so I lost very little. I’m going on 7 years for my Wrangler. I really enjoy it, but might replace it with a new Raptor or Gladiator. Good thing all those vehicles hold their values well. I did just sell my S2000 after only 9 months. I was thinking nostalgia would be enough, but it was just too damn slow (flame suit on). I don’t have the time to mod vehicles, nor is the return great enough.

OP - ignore social media. Most of the people on there are badly in debt and/or love making $1,000 monthly car payments. Most people I know with real wealth drive pretty mundane, old vehicles (think Camry). You lose your a$$ constantly changing vehicles. Continue with what you have if you enjoy it. There will always be something newer, better, faster, etc.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:13 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Used to get a new car every 2-3 years when I was younger. Those days are long gone. If I buy something I keep it. Sportbikes or cars I won't buy unless I plan to keep long term. I used to do the sell/trade/buy thing but I grew my fleet by stopping that business. 5 vehicles in the garage and I'm adding 2 more in the next 2 years. Adding a 588 sq ft car port out back behind the garage to park the daily drivers to free up garage space. Driving nannies (ADAS), manuals going away, IMU's on the sportbikes, all of these things accelerated my plans to have a fleet without such things. I am almost there.

Quick Reply: Do tend to keep cars long term or rotate often?