Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Dodge Demon

Old 04-14-2017, 06:11 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
"Lesser" sportscars - Boxster and Cayman, specifically, plus they added the Cayenne and Macan end eventually the Panamera, all three of which are not sportscars.
Except that the top trim models of each (turbo S) will still beat any production street car honda has EVER (NSX-R etc) made around the track which tells you something.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:07 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I love when a manufacturer makes a **** you halo car. Its been designed to go fast in one direction- so don't complain that i can't pull more than .8g on a skid pad. I can see a whole bunch of old dodge fans crashing these into ditches and trees. Darwinism at its best!

Now, let's see if someone can make one of these actually handle a turn…then go race in Nascar. Wait a minute, how about we actually race cars in Nascar you can actually buy. What do you mean I can't buy a rear drive toyota that i see go round and round on Sunday?

but i digress. This Demon looks the part- i like it lots. I drove a hellcat manual and its a pussycat- until you use the go pedal then hold on. This Demon will warp the earth's crust!

darcy
Old 04-15-2017, 08:43 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
No. Rather, take care of BUSINESS and then use the financial freedom you get to make some "fun" cars. FCA got it backwards (and continues on that course).... FCA can't pull a Ferrari - they lack the cachet - so they have to do it the "normal" way.

Porsche got smart and it's why they're so successful now. They were on a downward slope until they started making "plebeian" SUVs and smaller, less powerful sportscars..
In this chicken vs egg argument, the sports cars for Porsche as you mentioned in later posts came before the practical cars bailed them out. Additionally, the Porsche name is what also helps sell that God awful ugly panamera and how they get away selling glorified vws. Also, where is the Honda and Toyota equivalent? I see ford doing it, st, rs, mustang, Shelby, gt.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:36 AM

Received 1,180 Likes on 908 Posts

It comes with only oine seat, but you can purchase each additional seat for $1.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:33 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
He only mentioned lesser sports cars. The Boxster came out for the '97 model year, and just before that they had the 968, following 944, following 924, following 914...
The point is, Porsche never built smaller sports cars. The Boxster is not smaller than the 968, 944 or 924 that preceded it. Likewise the 911 has grown in size by over a foot in length.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Hellcat Demon is a halfway decent handler, size considered. They didn't give it 315 section width front tires just for the hell of it. If the suspension system allows for a "normal" or "track" (not drag track) setting it might be okay.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I can't get excited about these things. Insane? Sure. Drag car right from the dealer? Yeah. But it just screams FCA/Dodge/Chrysler is making a desperate attempt to get noticed while they continue to lose cash, and all their non-truck and suv models spiral down the sales toilet. Its a huge publicity stunt from a failing brand.

But I am the guy who thinks the Civic Si would make a decent cheap commuter so .............
Spot on.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
In this chicken vs egg argument, the sports cars for Porsche as you mentioned in later posts came before the practical cars bailed them out. Additionally, the Porsche name is what also helps sell that God awful ugly panamera and how they get away selling glorified vws. Also, where is the Honda and Toyota equivalent? I see ford doing it, st, rs, mustang, Shelby, gt.
I don't think the Boxster/Cayman saved Porsche. That credit goes to the Cayenne. And when Porsche saw what the Cayenne gave them in terms of profits, they added the Panamera and then the Macan. Those last three keep the company in business and allow them to keep making 911s, Caymans, and thank you god, the Carrera GT and the 918 for brief glorious moments.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

FCA was smart. They realized chasing Nurburgring times was a losing battle, hence the demise of the Viper. The Viper got lost in a sea of other factory track prepped street cars. When a Caddy can lap as fast as a Viper, what's the point of the Viper? So, they found a marketing avenue no other manufacturer was currenty touching, chasing drag times. Brilliant. It will be 1970 again. Wait for Chevy and Ford to release drag pack specials soon.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

It already exists, it's the COPO Camaro.

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/copo-camaro

And it was the Boxster that saved Porsche from bankruptcy over twenty years ago.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...f-the-boxster/

Last edited by Vanishing Point; 04-19-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you can't register a COPO for the street though. The COPOs are purchased for actual racing. The Demons will be scooped up by collectors.

Quick Reply: Dodge Demon