Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Does anyone else get offended by the new Accord commercials?

Old 01-23-2018, 05:06 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I guess one person was offended by the Accord ad.
The rest move on with their lives.
also consensus is that from design criteria, Accord > S2000.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

C'mon people need to lighten up. I don't think OP was seriously comparing the new accord vs S2000.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:24 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

When I first saw the title and looked at which ad it was I thought the OP was suggesting that because it had black people dancing with big hairdo's in 70's costumes that the ad was somehow racist. Then I saw the part about "Best Honda Ever" and got that it was a slight at the S2000. Would not have been offended either way.

I am perplexed by every ad seems to have some non-traditional or mixed race couple. Seriously, just watch every ad and you see some Asian guy and a woman in a hijab with one leg or something shopping for cereal with a native American kid. I am in a mixed race marriage and think the trend is wayyyyyyyyyy overdone. Yes, we are a melting pot. Get over your wokeness already. I don't need to see everybody's thoughts on race and lifestyle in an ad for coffee. OH MY GOD, FOLGERS IS SO INCLUSIVE!!!! We are too obsessed with it. If the companies feel they are connecting to me and my wife, really, you are not.

We prefer all the ads that overuse dogs and cute puppies.

Oh, but I do like the Honda ad just to see the different generations of the car. That was kind of cool.

Last edited by vader1; 01-25-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:58 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

THIS.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Saki GT
The most annoying Honda ad I've seen recently is a regional - "Don't settle" Honda civic ad. Search for it on Youtube..

The recent Acura ads I only find annoying because they have an NSX morphing into a truck, trying to convey that Acuras are sporty. Acura wants to set itself up as a performance line of vehicles these days, but they're just not imo - $40k fwd "sport" sedans don't sell and Acura has years of history showing this, but keeps doing it. I get marketing, but you need product to back it up.

Who knows, maybe the brand will finally start making performance cars that can compete, but it's not there today - it continues to amaze me that Honda brand is so strong and Acura has been withering for so long. Acura ads are annoying because they don't seem to ever connect with reality.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:14 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
The recent Acura ads I only find annoying because they have an NSX morphing into a truck, trying to convey that Acuras are sporty. Acura wants to set itself up as a performance line of vehicles these days, but they're just not imo - $40k fwd "sport" sedans don't sell and Acura has years of history showing this, but keeps doing it. I get marketing, but you need product to back it up.

Who knows, maybe the brand will finally start making performance cars that can compete, but it's not there today - it continues to amaze me that Honda brand is so strong and Acura has been withering for so long. Acura ads are annoying because they don't seem to ever connect with reality.
Well I would agree with you but also ad I was just coming into my professional working age years where I could afford a new car in the days of Integras and RSX's. I wanted those cars even though I never bought one. They have nothing that is sporty entry level where FWD would be just fine except for a warmed over expensive Civic. The Type R gives them the perfect drivetrain to get back in that segment because I would buy that drivetrain in a more upscale and less obnoxious looking package.

But yeah, $40k front drivers are really not what people are looking for, let alone $50k front drivers. People are going nuts over AWD in what is left of the sedan segment even though it is total overkill in most markets but Honda does a terrible job of using and marketing their fairly brilliant AWD system.

And to be honest, I am not sure FWD started the withering as much as the beak did. Lexus is trying to get their mojo back, lets see what Honda does.