Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Douche-tastic dealer thread.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:46 PM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Car sales have been like this forever.

Went to a big Honda dealer to look at a specific car (trim. interior, engine, transmission, color) my wife was considering. Top of the line trim and there were several on the lot. Told the salesman what I was interested in and asked to test drive the car. He immediately started asking about my "driving style," financing, etc. After too many minutes of this I finally said "I don't need to be psychoanalyzed. I just want to look at the car. You got one or not? " Guess I wasn't forceful enough as he kept up the questions as I was walking out right past those models on the show room floor.

-- Chuck
Old 07-12-2019, 04:19 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
When I was shopping for my truck I found one posted for a really good price. I went into the dealer and was handed from one sales guy to another and then watched this moron spend 20 minutes trying to back the truck out without moving other cars when I told him there was no way they were getting it out without moving stuff. Go on test drive truck is nice. Go inside sit down and they say they will write up the price. Wait some more. Sales guy comes back with another douche and go through numbers. The base price was like $8k higher than what was posted online. I asked what truck they were pricing and pulled up the listing with their stock number. Guy huffed and puffed. At this point I wasn't in the mood so said I would pay the posted price and not a penny more. He went off and I waited some more. Came back and let me know that they would do me the immense favor of selling the car at the posted prices but all the taxes and fees would be extra so I left.

When we bought our Fiat 500 Abarth it was nearly the best experience I had ever had with a dealer. They let us take a car to test drive for the day. Sales guy was great and didn't press to sell me extra bullshit. Finance (0% for 7 years!!!) was already set and the price of the car was deeply discounted so we were good to go. I had the sales guy dump off all the extra bullshit ie paint protection, gap, etc. Then we go sit down with the douche in the office and he starts going through the extra BS I already said I didn't want. I politely said hey I don't need any of that stuff I had insurance. He gets huffy and says of you have insurance for maintenance and how much the first service cost (which was 100% incorrect). I repeat I don't want any of it and he goes for a 3rd loop around the douche track. At this point I raise my voice and say I already told the sales guy I didn't want any of it I told the sales guy I didn't want any of it and I am not going to say it again. He gets quiet but acts like a kid that was told to put the toy back at the store slam typing the changes. We sign and leave. It was an amazing experience up until that douche.

The truck I did end up buying was a great experience. The posted price was very competitive and didn't require haggling. They were willing to let me come back the next day with a check as we were selling our old car to a friend and that hadn't happened yet. They got me a better % on the loan than I had gotten through looking myself. Really only complaint was they didn't fill the truck up.
Quite often the business managers ruin the whole buying experience even if you are lucky enough to get a good sales rep.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:29 PM

Last time I visited my local Honda dealer the sales reps start by asking you how much of a monthly payment you want. I lease all of my vehicles, if you make the mistake of telling them a monthly payment then they backtrack all of the numbers to get you that monthly payment. So your $400 monthly payment could easily be $350 without all of the extras they naturally dump into the purchase to get you up to the $400 mark. They don't show you all of the extra costs until you go into the business manager's office and then you get the full printout of the contract and all of hidden charges. The summary they give at the sales rep stage doesn't reveal all of the extra hidden charges. Then you have sit there and delete all of the crap you don't want, and magically your payment drops by a good percentage. It is such a scam these days, I detest dealing with them any more, they really earn the name stealership.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:14 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Last time I visited my local Honda dealer the sales reps start by asking you how much of a monthly payment you want.
Concentrate solely on the price of the car. Once that is settled, negotiate the trade in, and then how you are going to pay for it all; finance or lease. In that order, the deal will never get ahead of itself. The dealer has agreed to the things that can sway the numbers the most before you even run the numbers.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Concentrate solely on the price of the car. Once that is settled, negotiate the trade in, and then how you are going to pay for it all; finance or lease. In that order, the deal will never get ahead of itself. The dealer has agreed to the things that can sway the numbers the most before you even run the numbers.
Yup, you are correct. They manipulate a number of variables that can be changed thinking if they get you your target payment then that is all they need to do. For me I had to make all of my corrections to the contract at the later stages of the negotiations, when I should have done them at the start with the sales rep.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:04 PM

Received 736 Likes on 390 Posts

I can never be bothered dealing with salesmen, so I just take in my wife and point her at them. She's a chartered accountant who spent a few years as a government auditor so she has no qualms about making anyone squirm over financial matters. I normally pay cash for vehicles but in the past when I've looked to finance one she's knocked down the price, then proceeded to ask the dealer to justify their finance rate, then screwed them down on that too. After a few harrowing hours we always walked out ahead.

I <3 my wife.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hertz Donut:
asrautox (07-18-2019), Langelo DeMysterioso (07-22-2019), mosesbotbol (07-15-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 09:06 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I tell the sales guy he's going to lose a lot of money on this deal but I'm going to take a problem off his hands. They always look at me strange, then I point to all the cars they have on the lot. These are all your problems. We never discuss anything but the price, I won't even test drive a vehicle with a sales person in it. Very quickly I'm handed off to the boss and we deal straight talk. Or I leave and buy somewhere else. The expansion of online/out of state sales makes this a lot easier.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:16 PM

I always had great relationships with my salesperson, and usually had the same sales guy or girl for a few years. I really appreciate them when you can find a good one, and I want them to make money on the sale. It's a tough gig sometimes. I don't care for the owners of the dealership, and I don't care for the business mangers or sales managers. Any bad habits picked up by sales reps is handed down to them from sales and business managers.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:34 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I always had great relationships with my salesperson, and usually had the same sales guy or girl for a few years. I really appreciate them when you can find a good one, and I want them to make money on the sale. It's a tough gig sometimes. I don't care for the owners of the dealership, and I don't care for the business mangers or sales managers. Any bad habits picked up by sales reps is handed down to them from sales and business managers.
You can always give the sales person money, nothing stops generosity.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:34 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I buy most of my cars online, so the price is the genesis of the whole deal. Seems more straight forward this way. No funny business the price today and price later today...

Quick Reply: Douche-tastic dealer thread.