Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drive safe and save...?

Old 12-20-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Drive safe and save...?

Ok, so I'm insured by State Farm. I can enroll in this program and save some money by having my driving habits monitored. I definitely will not do this with S2000 because, well its a sports car. If I had to have my driving monitored in that car I'd just go ahead and sell it..lol. I'm thinking of trying it in my CR-V however. I drive pretty reasonably in it and I think I can save some money there. But is it worth it? How strict are they? I mean, I drive normally most of the time in the CR-V but what about that time when I'm following a fast line of traffic at 85 in a 70mph zone for a while? I wonder how strict they are and what are the repercussions. Is it worth it? Please relate your experiences with this.

Thanks

Jon
Old 12-20-2016, 01:05 PM

Received 1,130 Likes on 993 Posts

I wouldn't touch this with a stick!

I had a (personal) data recorder on the OBD2 port of one of my cars when my daughter first learned to drive and my "normal" driving habits all showed up as aggressive acceleration and braking! Hers were fine. In this same period of time I had no accidents nor moving violations but I suspect some clerk at State Farm would crank my insurance premiums up "just 'cuz."

85 miles an hour!!!! Pure recklessness!

-- Chuck
Old 12-20-2016, 01:32 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Don't do it!!! You probably drive "worse" than you think especially through the eyes of an evil insurance company.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:52 PM

Well, that settles it. I'm glad I asked. Thanks for the replies. I'll send my OBD plug in units back.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:28 AM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

You do it, another does it, then it's standard practice in the industry. And if you don't do it we tax your ass more! Tell your friends and colleagues to just say no!
Old 12-21-2016, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
You do it, another does it, then it's standard practice in the industry. And if you don't do it we tax your ass more! Tell your friends and colleagues to just say no!
Yeah, you're right. I can't believe I even considered it. I'm usually defiant anyways. I'm 41 years old, have no points on my license and haven't had an accident since my 20's. If I want to enjoy myself on a secluded two lane road I don't need them punishing me for it.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

It surprises me that people would even consider voluntarily giving away their privacy.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:27 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Isn't that what Progressive has been doing for years? I know a couple people that have them (and drive quite spiritedly) and don't have issues.

I wouldn't do it myself on my cars though. I know I drive like an ass sometimes, I don't need my insurance co telling me I do as well.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:10 PM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
It surprises me that people would even consider voluntarily giving away their privacy.
Millions of Americans do it every day on social media. Still mind blowing to me. Dumb stuff like posting pictures of themselves whilst on vacation. At least wait until you get back dummy. Posting all their personal business on these things, seen 2 people fired because they talked about work on one of them, one a nurse. Fakebook, Twatter, and the rest are massive data miners. They sell all that stuff to the highest bidder. People are completely stupid. Idiocracy. Trump named Puzder his labor secretary. He is the CEO of Carl's Jr. Oh the irony, 2016. Next thing we'll see is people pouring red bull on the plants in their garden and complaining about the lack of burrito coverings.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried Progressive's for a month and wow. Maybe i just have a heavy foot but the braking they calculate is ridiculous. Everything else is really hard to mess up but the braking will beep at you about 10 times a day if you do anything other than feather the pedal.

Quick Reply: Drive safe and save...?