Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drove a new C7 Z51 on track for two days at Spring Mountain Level 3 school in NV

Old 04-06-2014, 01:35 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Drove a new C7 Z51 on track for two days at Spring Mountain Level 3 school in NV

This was my third time to Spring Mountain and I had an absolute blast as always. Facility is absolutely first-class, instructors are very friendly and fun, and this was my first experience with the new C7 Z51 and lucky me to be able to flog it for 2 days on an incredible 2.1 mile course.

For the record, I track a lightly modded (seats, harnesses, bushings, Finspeed wheels/slicks) C6 ZR1, so I am quite comfortable with fast track driving. The C7 Z51 has better turn-in, more stability under power and seems to stick to the track better (better tires notwithstanding). Part of this may have to do with the 173hp power difference between the LT1 and the LS9, but the LT1 was a very vocal and enjoyable engine.

I drove the C7 in Track Mode PTM 5 for the most part due to my experience level and it was a joy. One of my favorite new features is the active rev match. Completely awesome for track work and just removes extra hassle of heel/toe downshifting, so you can focus more on driving faster. I can heel/toe, but the ARM makes it a no brainer with PERFECT rev matching each downshift AND upshift.

Car is very balanced, the rev limiter is ultra-soft (i.e. it just kind of stops at the rev limiter and you really don't hear the usual brap/brap/brap sound, very nice). The color HUD with the light sequence as you get close to redline going to 5 blue dots at redline is just awesome. Love it.

Overall, the car is better than my ZR1 except in three areas: brakes, tires, and power most notably. That said, for less than $60k with comp seats (awesome and very comfortable even for my 6'2" 235lb frame) and Z51, I can't think of a more capable and enjoyable track car on the market, that just so happens to be 100% comfortable and smooth in around town driving with cooled/heated seats and about 100 electronic gizmos to play with whenever you aren't being entertained by the awesome sounding LT1 and active rev match downshifting. Car feels extremely solid and well made. We effectively had no issues between the 11 drivers in our class with all the cars.

I went with a buddy (Andi B.) and he did get a coolant warning, but that was because he was drafting right behind me during a very hard track session for a few laps and I don't think he was getting enough air through the radiator. That said, we did see pretty high oil temps (280+F range) and coolant temps (240+F range) which was a little disappointing in 60F ambient temperature. Andi and I aren't exactly normal track drivers (i.e. we REALLY push cars), but I was hoping for more robust cooling systems. I personally didn't get any warnings and the car was running fine and pulling hard every session, so the LT1 and the rest of the car didn't seem fazed. So, maybe it's a non-issue at those temps???

Here's a quick accel run on the front straight with pretty high temps already. Seemed to pull fine:
C7 Stingray acceleration - YouTube

All in all, a complete blast. As a topper to the wonderful two day school, I was able to break the Level 3 student track record just as I did last year breaking the Level 2 student track record. My buddy kept me on my toes big time. The previous record was a 1:32.x set by a German driving school owner a while back and my buddy busted that on the first transponder session with a 1:31.1. On the 3rd and final transponder session, I clipped him BARELY with a 1:31.0 on the 2.1 course breaking Andi's two hour old record. hehe.

Corvettes are just incredible cars and Spring Mountain is an incredible school with awesome instructors and unreal facilities and track configurations. Thanks again to everyone there for making it another very enjoyable experience.

See below for more pictures.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These cars are truly stunning. I saw one a couple days ago and my jaw dropped. You really can't go wrong with the Stingray. GM has really outdone themselves with this car. Great review, driving it with your experience, you should probably get some GoPro footage and upload that too.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up! Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:19 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Great writeup - looks like a ton of fun. Congrats on the record, too - impressive, as I'm sure they have some very capable guys running through that school.

What kind of lap times do their instructors get? Any idea?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:15 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Sounds like a blast. I like the pic of the blue one.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice! This school has a special discounted class for C7 owners that I hope to take part in. Thanks for the write-up!

As for the temps, I noticed that the temps shoot up really quickly and settle in kinda high. I was showing similar temps on a windy backroad and it made me a little nervous but it never seemed to go any higher (and performance didn't suffer). Maybe just a byproduct of higher compression DI motors?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi

I noticed that the temps shoot up really quickly and settle in kinda high. I was showing similar temps on a windy backroad and it made me a little nervous but it never seemed to go any higher (and performance didn't suffer). Maybe just a byproduct of higher compression DI motors?
I was told it is part of the tuning for emissions and the relatively high temps should be considered the new norm.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena
Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1396886313' post='23101080

I noticed that the temps shoot up really quickly and settle in kinda high. I was showing similar temps on a windy backroad and it made me a little nervous but it never seemed to go any higher (and performance didn't suffer). Maybe just a byproduct of higher compression DI motors?
I was told it is part of the tuning for emissions and the relatively high temps should be considered the new norm.
That makes sense, but it sure makes for some interesting smells
Old 04-07-2014, 01:03 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
The previous record was a 1:32.x set by a German driving school owner a while back and my buddy busted that on the first transponder session with a 1:31.1. On the 3rd and final transponder session, I clipped him BARELY with a 1:31.0 on the 2.1 course breaking Andi's two hour old record. hehe.
Instructors are out there are doing 27s in the same car.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:01 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Nice! This school has a special discounted class for C7 owners that I hope to take part in. Thanks for the write-up!

As for the temps, I noticed that the temps shoot up really quickly and settle in kinda high. I was showing similar temps on a windy backroad and it made me a little nervous but it never seemed to go any higher (and performance didn't suffer). Maybe just a byproduct of higher compression DI motors?
The car didn't seem any worse for wear and it seemed to pull and run fine, so it is quite possible those temps are a complete non-issue.

Originally Posted by Driven
Originally Posted by QUIKAG' timestamp='1396820109' post='23099957
The previous record was a 1:32.x set by a German driving school owner a while back and my buddy busted that on the first transponder session with a 1:31.1. On the 3rd and final transponder session, I clipped him BARELY with a 1:31.0 on the 2.1 course breaking Andi's two hour old record. hehe.
Instructors are out there are doing 27s in the same car.
I was told a 28 was the reference lap by the instructors. I guess if I could spend a year+ there practicing lines, etc. I'd probably pick up a few more seconds, but alas I only had 3 open track sessions with timing.

Quick Reply: Drove a new C7 Z51 on track for two days at Spring Mountain Level 3 school in NV