Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

E36 M3

Old 08-27-2012, 05:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice! I'm in the market for a e36 or e30
Old 09-06-2012, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by dat boi
It's not Dakar anymore. The yellow is a lot louder and lot more.. well a lot more yellow

I will do just that. I plan on changing the water pump tomorrow and doing electric fans with an aluminum radiator in the future.
Was gonna say...the yellow in those photos looks...yellow. Not yellow with a bit of mustard, like Dakar. Especially the last shot. Looks almost like Mazda's Competition Yellow Mica (CYM) - one of my favorite yellows.

Awesome car man, congrats. Good choice with the pre-obd2 S50B30US.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 AM

That is the last good looking 3 series made. Congrats on the car.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great looking car, I'm in the market for a similar one right now, what are the main problems associated with these cars? heard water pump is one of them?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Neon001
Originally Posted by dat boi' timestamp='1345754322' post='21959696
It's not Dakar anymore. The yellow is a lot louder and lot more.. well a lot more yellow

I will do just that. I plan on changing the water pump tomorrow and doing electric fans with an aluminum radiator in the future.
Was gonna say...the yellow in those photos looks...yellow. Not yellow with a bit of mustard, like Dakar. Especially the last shot. Looks almost like Mazda's Competition Yellow Mica (CYM) - one of my favorite yellows.

Awesome car man, congrats. Good choice with the pre-obd2 S50B30US.
I prefer the S52. M50 manifold and tune away from making an easy 230whp.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?...d=24&Itemid=55

someone also has a several part series on youtube that walkthrough his personal car and where the areas are that need to be maintained.

For the most part the drivetrain sounds like it will last forever, several people had 200k+ on their cars.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Progress has been very slow on this car due to many reasons but the main one being no steady source of income (last semester in college!!). But that doesn't mean progress has stopped completely!

I managed to source some 17x8 +35 BBS RKs and 245/40/17 Kuhmo Ecsta XS tires for a good price and finally changed the look and handling of the car.
Initial thoughts: What an improvement! The steering feels even better and the whole car feels tighter, especially the front end which operated on Nankang rubber bands. The grip is up ten fold but the front end is too soft and the car still needs an alignment suited for spirited driving. I am enjoying the car and the slow build process however and learning how the car reacts to changes. Here are a couple of pictures I took after class today.

And here's one of the car gansta-leaning in a corner:

Hope you guys enjoyed this installment and I'm sorry the progress on this one is so slow!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Moving forward:

Thanksgiving is a time to spend with your friends and family and be grateful for what you have in life. 5 years ago, I participated in my first track event with the S2000 on thanksgiving weekend. This year however, I was fortunate enough to use the E36 M3. Being a busy time with school and thanksgiving festivities, I didn't have much time to work on the car. But I was able to change the brake fluid (ATE Super Blue) and adjust the front dampening.

The brakes were never mushy but it is a good piece of mind to change the fluid before a track day. The previous owner used ATE products and the change was simple like most cars. On track, the brakes felt great as there was no fade even after continuous 110-60 mph braking on track. Off track, they actuate well and do not make any noise. The next logical step would be a set of track pads, but even these blow off a lot of brake dust, so much in fact that I might have to refinish my wheels (not a big deal since I plasti-dipped them).

On its first track outing, the car was embarrassingly slow and wallowed so much that my friends who were spectating worried if the car was going to tip over. This event however, I popped the caps off of the K-Mac camber plates, accessed the Koni adjustable shock towers and realized they were set on full soft. Not only did this affect on track performance, but off track, the car was under damped and what felt like worn bushings was actually improperly adjusted dampeners. I turned the stiffness up two turns (max is 2.5) and WOW! It felt like a whole different animal!! The turn in was heavily improved, the car felt more alive and connected. The feedback, oh the feedback this chassis and steering provide! The was easy to read, adjust, and rotate where needed. It turned in with confidence and though there was some mid corner understeer, it handled like I expect my cars to handle. A stiffer set of springs will greatly benefit the M3 and improve its handling even further without effecting its performance and comfort on the road.

As always, here are some more pictures:

I tried to keep up with Adam's CR but his car and his driving proved to be sharper, it was still tons of fun to be able to confidently push the M3.

And what's a Thanksgiving weekend without friends and family?!

Thanks for reading
Old 12-04-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Angerman
Congrats on the M />

Quick Reply: E36 M3