Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

E46 M3 vs. 911 (996)

Old 05-13-2007, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E46 M3 vs. 911 (996)

Alright well I plan on buying one of the two after I get out of school. The options are:

1999 Porsche 911 Carrera C2 6 Speed (996):

They can be had for $25-30,000 with 40-50,000 miles while needing nothing (maintinence has been kept up with) with a 6 speed gear box.

The PROS:

-It is the legendary 911, the benchmark sports car
-I am told that the build quality on Porsches are so close to the best it's scary
-They have a clean look that is timeless
-They are arguably the best handling cars out there (besides most supercars but damnit you know what I mean)
-Fit and finish is top notch
-Resale value is top notch
-Road feel, communicative steering and bla bla bla is... top notch
-They have nice color options

The CONS:

-I fear the with my aggressive driving style I would break something and it would cost me BIG TIME. I am not talking about driving reckless, doing foolish things but I would drive the car as much as I could, and the way it was meant to be driven... WOT for the on ramps, taking corners hard, and late night road carving etc. Maybe a visit to the strip, probobly not the auto x or road course. All in all I wouldn't be a mid-life crisis like owner with salt and pepper hair that barely ever takes out and just likes to look at it or know it's there while when driving it, drives like a soccer mom in her damn mini-van OH MY GOD I CAN'T STAND those guys in Corvettes, Porsches and what not driving like bitches.

-I don't know a damn thing about how reliable they are, I am told the cars are built extremely well and the motors are strong and bla bla bla but I need that to mean I can drive it like it's meant to be driven without having to worry about regular scheduled services, maintinence and wearable parts replacement

-How expensive ARE these to own? Keep up with etc?

Sounds like a great car if the concerns are put to rest, I like what I hear and it's true.

2001 BMW M3 Coupe 6 Speed:
-

I seem to be able to find these cars for $25,000-30,000 with 30-120k miles on them in 6 Speed Coupe form.

The PROS:

-I love the simplistic yet aggressive styling
-Seems more livable than a 911
-Probobly cheaper to maintain?
-Pretty fast
-Handle very well
-Have some nice color options too
-Smooth
-Again? A more livable car?

The CONS:

-I see so many of them, and it is the better version of an otherwise not to hardcore car
-Styling compared to a 911 says the nice car where as the 911 says the serious car
-I too question breaking expensive things (see 911 cons)
-It seems like the softer of the two, not as sharp in handling and maybe not as fast? Am I wrong?
-I question the driving experience I'd get from it compared to a Porsche
-Shifter is kind of... too slick?
-I don't know what to think this is why I posted this comparison thread.

Tell me your thoughts, opinions experiences... WHATEVER.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this same choice about 10 years ago. Buy a 2 year old e36m3 or a 4 year old 993. Looking back...I wish I'd bought the 993. I would probably still have it. The ///M cars are great while they are new...but they don't age well with a very aggressive driver. And as you mentioned the resale stinks compared to the P-car.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:48 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Both are great cars and along with a C5 Z06 or slightly used C6 would be my picks for a pre-owned car.

I would lean towards the M3. Many prefer the e46 to the current gen 3-series. But the 997 (current gen 911) is all around better than the 996 (IMO).

You should be able to get a less used M3 for the same price as the 996.

I have driven both a M3 (slightly modded) and a stock 996 C4S I couldn't say which was quicker they both have their pluses and minuses, but all around I'd prefer a M3 bit more room and a bit more rumble.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:27 PM

go out and drive both. i would take a C4S over an M3, but probably an M3 over a C2 or a C2S. i dont like the C4.

if you can, wait for the 997 tho. it is widely acknowledged that the 997 is significantly better than the 996 in performance, styling, comfort, etc.

are you coming from an s2k? make sure you drive both, b.c. they are a lot different than an s2k (i.e., they feel like heavy pigs).
Old 05-13-2007, 06:16 PM

911 or 3 series... hmm thats a tough one *sarcasm inserted)
Old 05-13-2007, 06:46 PM

M3 is a nice car, but the stability control system is TERRIBLE. The most invasive out of any sportscar I've ever driven. I guess it kinda makes sense given the M3s normal demographic (Lots of middle aged trophy badge buyers), but for the enthusiast buyer, it's a drag. It's also been my experience that the M3s tranny doesn't hold up as well as Porsche's to very aggressive driving. That isn't to say it's weak, just a bit more vulnerable.

The 996 (if you're talking about a 99) is actually slightly slower in a straight line. However, it's a much more "connected" driving experience. I've heard people use the analogy of "Riding a horse, vs being a horse". In my experience Porsche reliability is excellent if you maintain the cars well. That said, if you break something, it's big bucks. 911s also tend to go through tires pretty fast, compared to some other sports cars. They also take a little practice to completely master, but it's a car that likes being driven fast, and is more and more rewarding the harder you push it.

Both are very nice cars, I'd say it comes down to personal preference. Make sure you drive them both!
Old 05-14-2007, 03:35 AM

Overall, Porsche reliability is pretty good EXCEPT for 1999 996's. These are the models with RMS failures. The good news is that by now - all the RMS have been replaced.

Between the two - I would say E46 M3. The Porsche exterior is decent but the interior IMHO is hideous for a $80k(new). Ofcourse if you are single - then 996 would be the way to go.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:14 AM

In all honesty I would stay away from both unless you can afford a newer CPO'd car. Both are great cars and pretty close in performance numbers but both have the capacity to put a bit on your wallet if they need any repairs and they will. Both requrire maintenance and both have probably been driven pretty aggressively over the last several years. I would be very leary of buying an older higher mileage German sports car if I didn't have deep pockets.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:21 PM

I sold my 05 s2000 about 4 months ago for my M. I have yet to look back. The question that I ask you is how much can you afford in maintance? i.e. Brake job on the M will run around 2k from the dealer. Less from an independent obviously. Not to mention the service inspections. Inspection II will run you around $1,400. You said that when you get out of school that you will get one or the other? I hope you have a good job and plenty of income, either of these when out of warranty will cost you an arm and a leg. F.Y.I. Do some serious research if you are not sure about spending some dough. I would assume the M would be cheaper, but neither would be ideal IMHO for a fresh out of college student. Unless, like I said, you have plenty of money to blow. Buy newer and under warranty, you will save in the long run.

Jon
Old 05-14-2007, 03:47 PM

Well as a hygenist I would be making a solid $45,000-$50,000 a year and by then I would either be able to buy a 911 a few years newer or an E46 M3 a few years newer considering it is 3-4 years down the road. That RMS issue with the Porsche is when the oil or something something leaks and mixes with the coolant = new motor = $20,000 from the dealer right? Besides that year and that issue are there really that many quirks to kill my wallet? I'd be spending $25-30,000 with the salary I just put out there. And the rule of thumb said is that the total cost of the actual car should be HALF or your annual income. It is just that.

Quick Reply: E46 M3 vs. 911 (996)