Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

E90 M3 manual sedan

Old 01-24-2018, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E90 M3 manual sedan

Trying to build the ultimate (kind of affordable) NA cars collection. I wish the GT3 was affordable!!!!!

Currently have an 07 S2000 and a manual 05 E46 M3 comp. pkg., 92 NSX and a 98 E36 M3

Can't seem to praise all these cars enough - thought about replacing the E46 with the E90 due to the V8 feel and sound but can't do it. E36 IMO has a better feel than the E46

Thinking of adding the E90 - but looking for input from owners who has/had one. I like NA and lighter cars due to overall feel - Some heavier cars do hide their weight quite well

Is the E90 one of those cars? Frankly the only way to find out is to own the car for some time - test driving is not an indication for me.

I know it's hard to describe "feel" but hopefully you know what I mean

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post
Old 01-24-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

I've got one.

It isn't light, but it doesn't feel ponderous and does manage/hide its weight well. I also had an E39 M5, and while that handled its weight well also, the extra 300lbs it carried vs. the E90 M3 felt like twice that. The E90 M3's chassis, quick steering, adjustable damping in those that had the option (which is most of them), and sharp responses all help disguise the weight.

It's really a fantastic all-around, daily driver that is very satisfying in the twisty stuff. Give one a spin. Also, options can have an effect on this feel. Try to get a non-sunroof model.

BTW, quite a garage you have there! Still dying to try an NSX out.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by white98ls
I've got one.

It isn't light, but it doesn't feel ponderous and does manage/hide its weight well. I also had an E39 M5, and while that handled its weight well also, the extra 300lbs it carried vs. the E90 M3 felt like twice that. The E90 M3's chassis, quick steering, adjustable damping in those that had the option (which is most of them), and sharp responses all help disguise the weight.

It's really a fantastic all-around, daily driver that is very satisfying in the twisty stuff. Give one a spin. Also, options can have an effect on this feel. Try to get a non-sunroof model.

BTW, quite a garage you have there! Still dying to try an NSX out.
Thanks for the response - does the sunroof make such difference? I do like opening the sunroof in the summer. Based on that, would the coupe with the CF roof have that much of a better feel?

I wanted a sedan as it is easier for the kids to get in and out.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:55 PM

I had an 09 E90 w/DSG. The car was solid and reliable for the 3 years I had it and the sound of the S65 is amazing. The car handles it’s weight well and has plenty of power and grip, even in the rain to my surprise. The biggest issue I had was a lack of a shop manual to help with DIYing. I never got comfortable working on the car, always worried about rod bearings, and therefore never really bonded with it. So I sold it to get an S2000. The second biggest issue is the tiny fuel tank. Stopping at the gas station so frequently gets old fast.

Now Im considering picking up an ISF. I know it won’t be as sharp as the M3 but I like wrenching on Japanese cars way more than Europeans.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:42 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think the E90 fits for what you want. It feels like a bigger/heavier sedan, not like a E36/E46. The V8 is fun if you rev it out but it sucks in daily driving situations (under 4k rpm) since it lacks torque. If you buy one, get an extended warranty.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I do not own one so cannot comment on how it drives but e90 M3 is my favorite looking M3...followed by e30
Old 01-25-2018, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned one for six years, paired with my 996. I wouldn't buy an E90 M3 for it's "feel" specifically. It sounds great and it drives with precision, but it's not a feelsome kind of car like a Porsche or Lotus in casual driving situations. The steering is fast and accurate, but kind of wooden, with relatively little feeling for the road. You sit pretty high up in the stock seats, so it doesn't really feel like a sports car.

On the flip side, it was quite refined, very comfortable and practical (perhaps excluding mileage/range), and had lots of modern features and amenities. And the engine felt downright exotic-- with the so-called "OEM exhaust mod" it sounded like a Maserati.

The one performance area where the M3 really excelled was sliding around:

Once the back steps out and the diff locks up, the car really shrinks around you, and you can use the linear powerband to place it with precision. It could be a little hard to kick good tires out in the dry at low RPMs with the modest torque (and DCT for me), so wet tarmac was always fun.

I ended up selling the M3 because opportunities to hoon it were too few and far between, and my 996 was just more enjoyable at a spirited backroad pace or on the track. I'd consider another E9x M3 in the future, but I'd want a 6MT stripper vs my loaded DCT car.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:49 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by NSX7
Thanks for the response - does the sunroof make such difference? I do like opening the sunroof in the summer. Based on that, would the coupe with the CF roof have that much of a better feel?

I wanted a sedan as it is easier for the kids to get in and out.
CF roof only saves 11lbs vs. the steel roof. Sunroof adds ~40lbs. So with just a slicktop sedan, you're a lot closer to the roof weight of a CF coupe than a sunroof car. Don't get me started on the convertible (441lbs heavier than coupe!).

Originally Posted by basscase
I owned one for six years, paired with my 996. I wouldn't buy an E90 M3 for it's "feel" specifically. It sounds great and it drives with precision, but it's not a feelsome kind of car like a Porsche or Lotus in casual driving situations. The steering is fast and accurate, but kind of wooden, with relatively little feeling for the road. You sit pretty high up in the stock seats, so it doesn't really feel like a sports car.

On the flip side, it was quite refined, very comfortable and practical (perhaps excluding mileage/range), and had lots of modern features and amenities. And the engine felt downright exotic-- with the so-called "OEM exhaust mod" it sounded like a Maserati.

The one performance area where the M3 really excelled was sliding around: :

Once the back steps out and the diff locks up, the car really shrinks around you, and you can use the linear powerband to place it with precision. It could be a little hard to kick good tires out in the dry at low RPMs with the modest torque (and DCT for me), so wet tarmac was always fun.

I ended up selling the M3 because opportunities to hoon it were too few and far between, and my 996 was just more enjoyable at a spirited backroad pace or on the track. I'd consider another E9x M3 in the future, but I'd want a 6MT stripper vs my loaded DCT car.
The steering doesn't have the feel of a Porsche or an older M3, but it still has substantially more feel than an S2000 (one of my biggest gripes of that car).

Have you heard one with the M Performance Exhaust? I got one a month ago, sounds very exotic due to Inconel construction. Videos don't really convey it.

I agree, handling is incredibly forgiving and predictable. You can just toy with it beyond the limit - very friendly and confidence-inspiring.

In all, I would agree with most of the points made here. If you're looking for an uncompromisingly focused sports car, this is not it - it's a sports sedan. But it is pretty much the best small sports sedan you can buy and an amazing all-rounder with an awesome engine. It drives about as well as a mainstream sedan can, so if you're looking for a sedan (sounds like you are) it's a great choice, but if you are able to buy a less-practical 2-seater, there are more-focused, lighter options, which goes without saying.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:39 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If you get a E9x M3 you have to at least do the OEM exhaust mod or better yet get a quality aftermarket setup. I had a Meisterschaft GT2 and it was nuts at redline. My current F87 M2 and F80 M3 sound like crap compared to the E90 with an exhaust but it makes up for it by having 100 lbs/ft more torque at 3000 rpm
Old 01-25-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The steering doesn't have the feel of a Porsche or an older M3, but it still has substantially more feel than an S2000 (one of my biggest gripes of that car).
Agreed on both counts. I'm kind of a nut for steering feel, not just for feeling out the limit, but because it adds so much to the sensation of speed and driving enjoyment in general.

You find great steering feel in weird places too. It's fantastic in my 2010 CR-V of all cars (I'm not crazy, even Car & Driver called it out). Meanwhile I'd say my 360 has only a little more feedback than the M3.

Have you heard one with the M Performance Exhaust? I got one a month ago, sounds very exotic due to Inconel construction. Videos don't really convey it.
I've heard it, but I'm sure it's even necessary. I paid $100 to have the "OEM exhaust mod" done and it was the best money I've ever spent. Added a ton of missing character to the car.

Quick Reply: E90 M3 manual sedan