Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

EG Hatch opinions / pics wanted

Old 02-19-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default EG Hatch opinions / pics wanted

Hey everybody,

This is a very broad and general question here, but what is everybody's opinions on EG hatches? I grew up in the 80's/90's so old school Hondas give me a special warm fuzzy feeling inside. I am currently looking at a decent EG hatch that I'd like to pick up which will serve as a 2nd daily driver and/or potential project car. I used to own a GSR back in the day, and now that I actually have a little more income I wouldn't mind toying around with an EG and drop in a b16 or something for a fun little project. I just really have a thing for old school Hondas.

I'm not really looking for any information in particular, but some pictures and discussion on these cars as a project platform would be great in helping me decide whether or not to pull the trigger on it.

Thanks!

And yes... I am alright with it being fail wheel drive.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm like you also.

But I've been avoiding the older Hondas because theft is rampant.

Instead of getting say a LS swapped hatch, I decided I'd rather get a 2000+ Mr2 Spyder.

Similiar power to weight ratio (2195lbs, 140hp) but the Spyder is rear engine, RWD, CONVERTIBLE, and no one is going to steal it while you're watching TV in your living room.

Yea, it's a 2 seater, but I like my 2nd or 3rd car to only have 2 doors and 2 seats lol
Old 02-19-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an EG and EK hatch before I got my S2K. All the crazy mods I was doing to my EK hatch (B16A swap, and swapping/modding pretty much everything else) was cool back in the day. But once I got the S2K, I just felt like this was the performance I was always striving for. I miss having the utility of a hatch tho. But I don't miss having to worry about my car getting stolen all the time. I still think it's cool when I see a Type R motor under the hood of an older hatch. If I had the extra garage space, I wouldn't mind getting another one.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Da New Yawka
I'm like you also.

But I've been avoiding the older Hondas because theft is rampant.

Instead of getting say a LS swapped hatch, I decided I'd rather get a 2000+ Mr2 Spyder.

Similiar power to weight ratio (2195lbs, 140hp) but the Spyder is rear engine, RWD, CONVERTIBLE, and no one is going to steal it while you're watching TV in your living room.

Yea, it's a 2 seater, but I like my 2nd or 3rd car to only have 2 doors and 2 seats lol
Thats not a bad idea.. I had a set of SSR Sp1's that was for my ap2 but traded those rims for a mk2 mr2 n/a awhile back and it was pretty awesome. I no longer have the car, but i miss the mr2 platform. Didnt think about looking at the last gen mr2's though, ill definitely look into those.

And around my way, we never had a huge theft problem until the past few years. I have been extremely paranoid of it, and i know that although my ap2 is the garage/low mileage queen, ill be forced to garage the EG if i get it.. as backwards as that sounds lol. I only have room for one car in the garage though.

Thanks for the input man, definitely things i need to consider.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by marksae
I had an EG and EK hatch before I got my S2K. All the crazy mods I was doing to my EK hatch (B16A swap, and swapping/modding pretty much everything else) was cool back in the day. But once I got the S2K, I just felt like this was the performance I was always striving for. I miss having the utility of a hatch tho. But I don't miss having to worry about my car getting stolen all the time. I still think it's cool when I see a Type R motor under the hood of an older hatch. If I had the extra garage space, I wouldn't mind getting another one.
Right there with you man. Same thing happened to me when i went from my dc2 for my first s2000 lol.

That feeling of watching somebody pop an old hatch's hood and seeing a Type R motor or a clean, simple B series is definitely something special lol. Not too big on K swaps, but thats the old purist coming out of me haha.

Last edited by The Prophet.; 02-19-2017 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Added stuff
Old 02-19-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Prophet.
Right there with you man. That feeling of watching somebody pop an old hatch's hood and seeing a Type R motor or a clean, simple B series is definitely something special lol. Not too big on K swaps, but thats the old purist coming out of me haha.
lol.. i feel the same about seeing a K-series in the older EF/EG/EK platform. Those swaps belong in the newer cars.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:01 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

For me it was the 2nd gen prelude. I'd have a tough time daily driving due to crash ratings though. Never thought about theft.

can you start these cars with a screw driver?
Old 02-21-2017, 12:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i have 2 , 92 vx for work and a gutted 95 cx im going to drop a k series in for track duty , cars currently at 1800lbs and counting , gonna try and chop it down to 1750-1700
Old 02-21-2017, 01:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I owned a EG hatch for almost 12 years. It taught me a lot about Honda and brought me into the car world. Unfortunately I parted it out last year and started putting all my time and effort into my s2000. If you are looking to get into a EG for a project, it is by far one of the easiest cars to work on and you can make it your own pretty easy.

Mine was a 1992 Civic SI, I bought it stock but that didn't last long.

I dropped in a gsr, ran that for a few years then I needed more power. I ended up getting a 2.0l darton sleeved block and built head. By the end of it I had close to 600whp and had lots of fun on the street and track. Unfortunately that setup was assembled incorrectly, so it didn't last long. Lots of money down the drain, but I ended up getting another stcok gsr drove it boosted for one summer then ended up parting ways. I had my fun either way and I wouldn't change it for anything.

Here is a few pictures.

Name:  IMG_20150919_164615702_zpswzuagbax.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  325.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20150919_135225170_zpswqn2pk49.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  248.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20150919_135202458_HDR_zpsye78xlow.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  341.2 KB

Name:  IMG_4314_zpsf634dbf9.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  123.3 KB

Good luck with your search and defiantly keep us in the loop on the project
Old 02-21-2017, 05:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't understand the "purist" mentality of only having B series swaps in these cars. If you want to swap in a K series I don't see why you cannot. It's better technology and better power. Id love to have a K swapped eg or ek but I am not sure if I caneed go back to front wheel drive. Maybe a K swapped NB miata?

Quick Reply: EG Hatch opinions / pics wanted