Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

F1 GP of Hungary

Old 08-19-2004, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=pantyraider,Aug 19 2004, 06:00 PM] I agree.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Dr. WOT,Aug 19 2004, 11:15 AM] Pantyraider, I don't disagree with you, but to clear one thing up, parity is not intended to be a part of F1. All the teams are required to build their own car, there are no customer cars as you see in CHAMP Car or IRL for instance. This technical diversity is part of the beauty of F1, but it does have a negative aspect which is that it can lead to one team getting it "right" and absolutely blowing away the competition. It's a double edged sword, but usually things work out to be amazingly close considering how different all the team's cars actually are.

As for tires, they can indeed make that much of a difference, however just 1 year ago it was the other way around-- Michelin had a clear advantage and Michael Schumacher's Ferrari got lapped at the Hungaroring.

Many think F1 should go to a spec tire (i.e. one brand) to prevent the kind of domination we're seeing this year. That point is valid and it would definitely have made this year closer, however I would be surprised if Ferrari wasn
Old 08-19-2004, 02:40 PM

i hope all the people crying foul on ferrari did the same when JPM had well over a minute on 2nd at Hockenheim last year and lapped up to fourth. RS would have likely been up there with Montoya had he not had that crash early in the race. One race does not a season make, and it has been close for most of the year.

Williams had such a fine car at the end of last season and you have to ask how they got on such a wrong track this year. Still they finally gave up on the tusks and it might pay off at Spa.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by pantyraider,Aug 19 2004, 08:59 PM
I'm not saying there should be a spec, and turn it into NASCAR, but, to me, it should be much more competitive than it is. That is one of the reasons why there are so many rules and specifications on engine size, min weight, wing size, etc. to create a certain boundary for the teams to be free to push technology but also be competitive with each other.

Obviously Ferrari is doing something better than everyone else. I'm just dissappointed that with all the money being thrown around by Toyota/BMW/McLaren/Honda for the past 3-4 years has not really come close to Ferrari's. It's kind of killing the sport. Having a dynasty is great for the sport, but when it gets to a point where midway through the season we're talking about who's gonna be second....its just no good. Who wants to watch a big parade lap? You can't bill this as the finest in motorsports and have fans falling asleep watching it.

Thanks for the good info though, and I was joking about the crashes