Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Factory Five Cobra Replica's

Old 07-21-2012, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Five Cobra Replica's

I've always been a Japanese/European enthusiast. But then I started watching YouTube videos about Z06's, Viper's and Ford GT's to the point where I would REALLY consider them in the future. Then I started seeing some videos where they compare newer muscle cars to the old school Cobra's and I realized how much I loved these Cobra's. Now I know I want to buy one sometime in the future and then built a few on Factory Five's website www.factoryfive.com and IMO it's a pretty awesome deal.

I went and would go with the Windsor 351 (525hp) and the independent rear end with the Tremec TKO 600 transmission. Kit costs 20,000, engine costs 8,000(eBay), transmission costs 2,800(eBay) and then you add paint and your own wheels and tires. It would run you about 40,000 if you installed everything yourself. 525HP in a car that weighs 2200-2250lbs is insane.

I know I want one in my garage by the time I'm 30, I'm 20 now. Then I could have a little DD like a Cooper/Fiat 500 and be as happy as could be.

Name:  ac.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  31.0 KB
Name:  ac2.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  26.7 KB

Two of the ones I built. Just changed the paint around.

Here's one off eBay. It's got 546HP with a 408 Cleveland and I think it looks incredible. o.o
Name:  2w_800.jpg
Views: 2896
Size:  86.1 KB
Name:  OA_800.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  70.5 KB
Name:  tw_800.jpg
Views: 4473
Size:  86.5 KB
Name:  Gw_800.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  78.7 KB
Old 07-21-2012, 08:13 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

A friend of mine in Texas helped his father-in-law build one. It's quick but I'm not sure that the handling is actually that great. He's not a gearhead so he couldn't really give me a comparison to a "normal" sports car.

I'm betting the short wheelbase + big power make it a real handful.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no doubts this would be a fun car, but I seem to see quite a few Cobra replicas around here and they don't really strike me as "special" because of it. I'd look into Factory Five's GTM kit first if I were looking at buying something like this. Or an Ariel Atom.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:18 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Ah who doesnt like the timeless beauty of the ac cobra. Beware tho, these projects get expensive real quick, buying one all done by a reputable builder will get you a much better value unless youre the type that loves undertaking large projects.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you ever drove one? Probably the scariest driving experience of my life. Horrible brakes and handling. 55 mph felt like 180 in my honda ridge line (i exaggerate). The chassis gets upset by ruts and bumps. One sec you are in the right most lane, the next you are wondering how you got into the passing lane. I dared not drive faster than 55 mph. But it is a pure adrenaline rush. Raw, brutal, exciting. Don't expect to be able to drive the cobra long distances, period. Drive one and you will see what I am talking about.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by HwangTKD
Have you ever drove one? Probably the scariest driving experience of my life. Horrible brakes and handling. 55 mph felt like 180 in my honda ridge line (i exaggerate). The chassis gets upset by ruts and bumps. One sec you are in the right most lane, the next you are wondering how you got into the passing lane. I dared not drive faster than 55 mph. But it is a pure adrenaline rush. Raw, brutal, exciting. Don't expect to be able to drive the cobra long distances, period. Drive one and you will see what I am talking about.
Originally Posted by JonBoy
A friend of mine in Texas helped his father-in-law build one. It's quick but I'm not sure that the handling is actually that great. He's not a gearhead so he couldn't really give me a comparison to a "normal" sports car.

I'm betting the short wheelbase + big power make it a real handful.
This car would be strictly for weekends and sunny days. I just find the idea of having a terrrifying car for a weekend car an awesome experience. Being scared every week after dailying a boring car seems ti spark an interest. Excuse my spelling, I'm drunk.

I wish I have. The brakes I have in the "build your own" are Brembo's, 12" in the back and 12.8 in front. The rear is the independent instead of the solid rear most have.

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Ah who doesnt like the timeless beauty of the ac cobra. Beware tho, these projects get expensive real quick, buying one all done by a reputable builder will get you a much better value unless youre the type that loves undertaking large projects.
I think I'd buy one already put together. I wouldn't want the 350 though. I know 350hp is a lot for 2200 pounds but the 427 just sounds and goes.

Originally Posted by Syn
I have no doubts this would be a fun car, but I seem to see quite a few Cobra replicas around here and they don't really strike me as "special" because of it. I'd look into Factory Five's GTM kit first if I were looking at buying something like this. Or an Ariel Atom.
I live in Northern Ontario, where I rarely see anything special due to the worse roads in the world. I drive an fc3s Rx7 and only seen one for sale and one on the road in the summer so far. I see a few porsches here and there. I think I'd prefer one of these cobra replicas than an Atom. I think it's the fact I'd be more terrefied driving this than an Atom. Considering it's a weekend and sunny day car only.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:46 AM

A replica Cobra has alway been one of the few objects (maybe the only object) I have ever lusted after that I don't have. I like the idea of the 351, but I would go a 383 stroker SBC (easy 400hp), big block cars have their drawbacks (I have one in my vette and at times it is finicky) and small block cars can make huge power with the only trade off being the sounds they make, I wouldn't settle for anything under 400HP in Cobra, and 400 is a nobrainer in a 383, if you want an easy 500, then you are in BB territory. Even though you have to keep tabs on the weather it isn't like 20 years ago when cell phones didn't have weather apps.

Of course their handling may not be world class at this point, but that point is moot, fun is defined by rolling burnouts, fat tires and cops smiling and waving at you when you beat on your car. EVRYBODY LOVES A DINOSAUR. If I came across a great deal on one, I would be hard pressed to pass it up, the Cobra is the one constant in an ever changing universe, it is the baddest car ever made.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:12 AM

Is the handling that bad or is the problem that it takes real work and knowledge to get the car sorted out? BTW, I would look at a 550 Spyder kit as another option. Not "better", just different.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, the handling is that bad. Even with the IRS from a 99 Cobra under it, they just feel big & numb. They are point & shoot cars.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:10 AM

I've seen 2 people bring their shiny new 427 replica out to an autocross, and both times, the owners just drove home after their first run. Short wheelbase + monster torque + light weight + a newbie driver = a car that spins like a top at every turn.

Quick Reply: Factory Five Cobra Replica's